ADVERTISEMENT

louisa v kettle run

I called it butting in because nothing you said was germane to the discussion and you still seem like you don't even grasp what FootballFan and I were discussing, you're just making weird rants about SAFETY and needlessly capitalizing every other word you type.
I’m speaking as an official. Every other word in every meeting we had revolves around the kid’s safety. Anything we didn’t understand was explained as going an extra mile on safety. I...like you...do not understand some of the rules in high school,because we don’t see the rules on TV. I don’t like the end zone on kickoff dead ball rule,but they only explain,its for the kid’s safety. The offside call I don’t like is not giving a DL a chance to correct his original stance he gets into if he accidentally lines up offside. Once that hand is down....it’s blown dead.

However, if there were that rule in place (allowed to step back before the snap of the ball, as long as he was not unabated) then it is up to the official on that side to immediately judge if the play should be stopped or not. If he mis-judges then someone could get hurt. The fewer judgement calls the better, IMO.
i agree with you Fan if you remove the possibility of injury why is it a stupid rule. there is no judgement call as the rule reads now and should stay that way. hokie I think you just don't like rules period the way your arguing this and would argue the way someone gave you change back from a dollar if it wasn't the way you wanted it.

Furthermore, and no slight is intended towards HS referees but college and NFL do a lot more training and are expected to watch a lot more film than those at the high school level. College refs must go to the city the day before the game to attend film sessions and go over what has been seen from the two teams that season.They also go to a week-long training session in the spring, I believe. I think they are better prepared and able to make the judgement call of unabated or not.

Furthermore, and no slight is intended towards HS referees but college and NFL do a lot more training and are expected to watch a lot more film than those at the high school level. College refs must go to the city the day before the game to attend film sessions and go over what has been seen from the two teams that season.They also go to a week-long training session in the spring, I believe. I think they are better prepared and able to make the judgement call of unabated or not.
I can tell you....I’d leave my job at 3:30,find the meeting point for the crew, and we would discuss the game for the 30 minute to 45 minute car ride and that was it. The only training sessions we had was every other Tuesday night for a couple of hours. Toward the end of the season, some of the guys would be coming from a afternoon basketball game to go do a football game. Asking those guys to make a judgment call as to whether a play is going to be safe or not Is not realistic.

Reactions: VAHSFootballFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT