ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa vs. Orange

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
@OCBoy or @racindan4u, can either of you shed some light on this game. I have been impressed with Louisa quarterback Landon Wilson and their latest young star Dyzier Carter's ability to make the big play. Louisa appears to be a bit underrated by many of the media polls. I honestly have no clue about Orange, so any insight would greatly be appreciated.

Let's liven up this site up and start talking some X and O's. Whose going to win this mid season matchup and challenge Salem for the home seed in Region D.

Orange is entirely untested and Louisa isn't far behind (hard to make out anything of Massaponax just yet but they don't seem like your typical Massaponax team). Both teams will learn a lot about themselves in this one. Leads me to believe you'd probably lean towards the most talent and I think that's Louisa. Orange hasn't beaten Louisa since 2008 and the games haven't been particularly close most of the time, although I do think this could be one where Orange has a chance late.

Decided to run some numbers because, well, I like numbers.

Each team is undefeated LC- 6-0, OC- 4-0

Louisa has averaged 52 ppg while giving up 18.
Orange has average 42.5 ppg while giving up 15.5.

Louisa has an average margin of victory of 15 points more than their opponents opponents. Example: Courtland has given up 32 points per game, Louisa scored 45, or 13 points more than the average (which includes the 45 in my calculations).

Orange has a an average margin of victory of 7.5 points more than their opponents opponents.

Each team has averaged about the same amount of points given up as their opponents opponents.

Some games that stand out:
Louisa gave up 14 to Monticello and C'ville. C'ville scored 21 in another game, but 14 is their 2nd highest and Monticello's highest point total.

Orange gave up 21 to Harrisonburg. Harrisonburg has been shutout 3 times and scored 6 in other game. 21 is by far their highest total.
Culpeper also scored their highest total on the season vs Orange.

What does this all mean? After Friday night it will mean nothing. In the mean time it's fun for some of us to look at.

Nice stuff @VAHSFootballFan. I like comparing stats and data when it come to sports, but in real my life I am not a bean counter. It looks like both teams can put up the numbers on offense. They say defense wins championships. I guess we will see who can get the important stops.

Can’t really speak on either considering I haven’t seen either team play. Orange has historically been an offensive team under the current coach. Orange always has size but can’t string together enough consistency for a full season. IMO this game could come down to coaching and adjustments and Louisa has that edge. The Orange/Albemarle no contest still has me scratching my head.

Can’t really speak on either considering I haven’t seen either team play. Orange has historically been an offensive team under the current coach. Orange always has size but can’t string together enough consistency for a full season. IMO this game could come down to coaching and adjustments and Louisa has that edge. The Orange/Albemarle no contest still has me scratching my head.
That game should have been played Monday, several other teams played.

I saw Orange in person last year and I’m still scratching my head how they are not a contender, year in and year out. Most of their skill guys are 5’10, 180+ and very athletic. They had just as big of an O-Line as Louisa has. Definitely passes the eye test. Maybe this is their year. Region D is very weak. I bet my money that it’ll come down to Salem, Louisa, Glass and Orange.

Nice stuff @VAHSFootballFan. I like comparing stats and data when it come to sports, but in real my life I am not a bean counter. It looks like both teams can put up the numbers on offense. They say defense wins championships. I guess we will see who can get the important stops.
I've always been of the opinion that scoring more points than your opponent wins championships. 🤪

Reactions: LchsFootball56.
Both of Louisa’s main receivers get it done but carter really knows how to go up and take the ball where slot of young guys wait for it. Oh he is deceptively fast. Landon has much improved since he was a a freshman and can still use his legs effectively when he has to. Most of the points louisa gave up came in clock running second half except massaponax which was 2 different games. I’m picking louisa but close I’ll be there so if anyone else is there I’ll be in a blue and gray pancho parka say hello

Reactions: LchsFootball56.
Lions roll in this one boys! Louisa 49- Orange 7. This maybe the best team Louisa has ever had. They can throw, run, kick, and play sound defense.

Reactions: racindan4u
@OCBoy or @racindan4u, can either of you shed some light on this game. I have been impressed with Louisa quarterback Landon Wilson and their latest young star Dyzier Carter's ability to make the big play. Louisa appears to be a bit underrated by many of the media polls. I honestly have no clue about Orange, so any insight would greatly be appreciated.

Let's liven up this site up and start talking some X and O's. Whose going to win this mid season matchup and challenge Salem for the home seed in Region D.
Having game planned for both offenses, I'd say Louisa should have the advantage in this game. Louisa had us 42-0 at half, Orange had us 17-0 at half including a pick 6. We scored once on Louisa's 1st defense, first drive of 2nd half, the 2nd TD was a KR(63-14). We were without our starting QB vs Orange and it was our worst offensive output of the season by a long shot(38-0). Here's my positional breakdown.

QB - Louisa has a big advantage here. Orange has a young first year starter, has some mobility but he's not Paul Porier. Respectable arm. Wilson from Louisa is seasoned, as this is his 4th year as a starter.

RB - Orange - Hornets have three runners that can get it done. Chiles, the senior leader and dog of the team IMO, has missed a few games with an injury, not sure if he's back for this one or not. Without him they still have Wells and Simpson, both of whom can make 70 yard house calls. Louisa Freshman Savion Hiter sits right with Sabias Folley as best 9th grade RB I've seen in this area during my 9 years coaching here. He's going to be scholarship player for sure. After him, Louisa doesn't have the depth that Orange does.

WR - Push - Louisa Freshman Dyzier Carter is the best 9th grade skill player I've seen in this area, kid is next big prospect from the JD. While he's the go to guy for Louisa, Orange may have a deeper group at WR as both Simpson and Wells(RBs) also split out wide and play some WR. They've also got two other 6'0+ WRs who can make plays.

OL - Louisa - Slight edge to Louisa here as I like their starting 5 a little more. Orange C and LG are both undersized, scrappy guys that have good technique but our Nose dominated them most of the night, I expect Louisa interior DL to win that battle. The Orange OT's are both very good, I'd expect them both to play college ball at some level. Their ability to seal/reach the edge and allow the RBs to get outside really helped them pull away from us 2nd half. Louisa has a very sizeable 5. The Orange LT is the best OL on either side of the field.

DL - Louisa - Spellman and Brooks have D1 offers for a reason, they aren't going to be blocked by 1 man. Look forward to watching Orange LT when he's got to wash down one of them in a 3 tech. The nose, while not as athletic has a great get off with girth, making it really tough to consistently run inside. Orange 4-4 DL features some hefty, less mobile DTs with longer, lighter DEs.

LB - Louisa - This is another closer position group, slight edge to Lions. Hiter is an OLB in their 3-4, he's a terror on the edge. The other 3 LBs are all seniors who've got ton of experience. All are physical, will be interesting to see them in pass coverage if Orange can provide any pass pro. Orange OLBs are fast and physical on the edge, led by Chiles. The two inside guys are smaller, they get a ton of protection from the girthy fire hydrant DTs. They run to the ball well.

DBs - Push - neither secondary has been tested, I expect both groups to be tested Friday more than any other game this year. Both units feature two way starters, will be interesting to see if any of those guys wear down late as both teams have been playing 2's in 4th quarter of all their games.

Louisa keys to victory - If they can keep the Orange ground game under 175 and the offense takes care of the ball, they will win.
Orange keys to victory - Don't get behind the sticks on offense, 3rd and long vs Louisa D is a tall order. On defense they've got to limit the big plays and force a couple turnovers and convert them into points. If they do these three things, they should be in the game in the 4th.

Patrick has had Lohr's number for some years , although he's also had better talent. As the talent gap is closing, we'll see if Lohr can get a W. If Louisa comes focused, I expect them to make a statement. Louisa 35 Orange 13

Lions roll in this one boys! Louisa 49- Orange 7. This maybe the best team Louisa has ever had. They can throw, run, kick, and play sound defense.
Wow! Better than 2017? I realize this qb may be a better passer than Bell was, but that team beat some dang good teams on their way to the state finals and on the road too. The 2017 team was solid on offense and defense with a ton of weapons. Please tell me why this team is so much better. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Louisa JV won big. This Louisa team is not one dimensional like the 2017 team. The 2 Freshman are special players that fit in nicely with a group of seniors that work hard and have some talent themselves. The other edge that Louisa has compared to 2017 is Coach Patrick has taken this offense to another level. Louisa never had much balance on the offensive side of the ball. As far as the defense stopping Salem...time will tell.

Louisa JV won big. This Louisa team is not one dimensional like the 2017 team. The 2 Freshman are special players that fit in nicely with a group of seniors that work hard and have some talent themselves. The other edge that Louisa has compared to 2017 is Coach Patrick has taken this offense to another level. Louisa never had much balance on the offensive side of the ball. As far as the defense stopping Salem...time will tell.
Thank you. I agree that Coach Patrick's offense is certainly diverse and less predictable. In fact, I think he is a very solid coach and obviously has the community invested in the program. I met him at the 2019 playoff game between Dinwiddie and PH. He was very friendly and candid. The 2017, rugby scrum offense was tough to stop and the defense was nasty. They whooped our tails at our house. That don't happen often.

Wow! Better than 2017? I realize this qb may be a better passer than Bell was, but that team beat some dang good teams on their way to the state finals and on the road too. The 2017 team was solid on offense and defense with a ton of weapons. Please tell me why this team is so much better. Thanks in advance.
This guy is a qb bell was not and he can run when he needs to run

Told you...49 may not be enough. JD is way down...BUT this really is the best Louisa team! Too many weapons on offense. They just cannot have any injuries...depth is only concern.

Maybe orange wasn’t as good as ppl thought but top to bottom Louisa has talent and speed. 5 and 2 are true burners…..I’m impressed

Idk man its 35-7 at the half. Only reason its not more is some home cooking calls.
I don’t use home cooking but there were some mistakes and the refs almost got orange player killed by not blowing play dead in time. The stats that were given in another post were off a little Louisa was giving up about 14 1/2 points per game and it’s less now. There wasn’t one part of the game where orange was better NOT CLOSE. I said in a previous post I wasn’t sure but now I am their good but have to see what they have for Salem varina and dinwiddie.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I saw Orange in person last year and I’m still scratching my head how they are not a contender, year in and year out. Most of their skill guys are 5’10, 180+ and very athletic. They had just as big of an O-Line as Louisa has. Definitely passes the eye test. Maybe this is their year. Region D is very weak. I bet my money that it’ll come down to Salem, Louisa, Glass and Orange.
I agree the got some good sized players that look like real athletes but something just isn’t working.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I don’t use home cooking but there were some mistakes and the refs almost got orange player killed by not blowing play dead in time. The stats that were given in another post were off a little Louisa was giving up about 14 1/2 points per game and it’s less now. There wasn’t one part of the game where orange was better NOT CLOSE. I said in a previous post I wasn’t sure but now I am their good but have to see what they have for Salem varina and dinwiddie.
Did you leave KG out of that mix on purpose? I think they are going to be even tougher that these teams.

Reactions: FoxesPride
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT