ADVERTISEMENT

Low / High Double-teams

Jun 4, 2010
This weekend there was a team that had their lineman blocking Low/High on double teams. The coaches were "pretty heated" at the Refs...
But, the Refs, said that a lineman "first" cutting low, then the other lineman blocking high was Legal.
Now, I know blocking High "First", then cutting low is illegal.
I think Low/High double teams would also be dangerous to lineman knees.
Is this really legal in Highschool ?

Yes.

If a player is engaged with an opponent, whether high or low, the player's teammate cannot make a delayed hit at or below the opponent's knee.

Simultaneous high/low blocks are legal.

A low/high block is legal.

Neither of those are as dangerous as the delayed block at the knees.

I think any coach that teaches hitting the knees or below in highschool, especially with double teams, is just trying to hurt kids.
With all the knee injuries, I think the league should better protect the players knees.
Thanks for the info. !

The VHSL doesn't write their own rules. 48 states including Virginia play under NFHS rules.

Under NFHS rules, blocking below the knees is legal in the free blocking zone when both opponents are in the FBZ and on the LOS at the snap.

I think the NFHS should ban blocking at the knees or below totally. all blocks should be at waist level or higher. Blocking a player at knees or below is dirty football and unsafe.

There's nothing dirty about it. Legal blocks below the waist are part of sound, fundamental football.

Below the waist is fine, I don't like knees or below, and especially from the sides.
I've known/know far too many players with knee problems.
This year I've seen lineman rolling into players on the line and lineman cutting into the side of lineman's knees..
It may be legal, but everyone knows its just a matter of time before they hurt someone.
I would bet knees and ankles are the number one "sidelined" or career ending injuries for players.

Originally posted by TJ-Football:
I would bet knees and ankles are the number one "sidelined" or career ending injuries for players.

I would bet it's concussions.

Most legal blocking below the knees occurs by the interior line against the defensive interior line as soon as the ball is snapped. The offensive blockers just fall over the defender's feet.

a. The main reason for this is the restriction against blocking below the waist once the ball has left the free-blocking zone (FBZ). The reality is that the ball leaves this zone VERY quickly and almost instantaneously when in a shotgun formation.

b. The FBZ is 8 yards wide centered on the ball and 3 yards deep on either side of the ball. This may seem like a large zone initially (8x6.3 yards), but:

c. The additional restriction of both the blockee and the blocker being on their respective lines of scrimmage at the snap really cuts the potential "targets" for this kind of block down quite a bit. Unless a linebacker is standing in a gap on the LOS at the snap, he can't be targeted for a low block, even if he was within the FBZ at the snap.

The bottom line is, in almost all cases of a legal block below the knee, no one has finished taking even one full step yet. The risks to the knees are minimal. Backs cannot use this block because they aren't on the LOS at the snap. Ditto for a defensive end trying to strip the lead blockers on a sweep even if he was on the LOS and in the FBZ at the snap. (the ball already left the FBZ in all likelihood). The number of players who can use it, the number of players it can be used against, and the very limited window where the block can be legally used almost DICTATE that the block is delivered immediately at the snap against the guy right across the LOS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT