ADVERTISEMENT

Make your surprising 2017 football predictions right here!!

I've said this in a few threads now... Am I the only one who would rather see Dinwiddee and Salem play a 5a or 6a quality opponent verses playing each other in week two? Not sure if I am a big fan of 4a non-district matchups. No doubt it will be an amazing game, but does it cheapen the build up of a potential state championship game? Probably over-thinking it.

@DSH great list. I think 4-14 aren't that far apart. Not entirely sure 1-3 are that far ahead of the pack either. There is not one team that I don't have a question mark on.

@DEVILSLB99 what will LT be like this year?

Where the heck is @HoosFan05 when you need him. What is Louisa looking like?

I think this might be one of those years where a horse comes out of nowhere and makes it interesting. Not sure which one but I think 4a will have more balance this year than last.

Hammy, I'm going to hi-jack your thread for a minute with this playoff question.
Somebody explain to me how a Region can possibly have more than 8 playoff teams?
There are only five weeks for playoffs.
The final week is the championship game.
The fourth week is Region A champ vs the B champ, and C vs D. (By VHSL mandate).
So we only have three weeks to name a regional champ in each region.
Week one is eight teams play down to four.
Week two is those four teams play down to two.
And week three is those two teams play down to get a regional champion.
One notable forum member had previously stated that a certain region was going to have 10 teams in the playoff. How?
(I know there are regions that will have less than eight teams eligible, so less than eight will be it's own unique format.)

DP, a region cannot have more than 8 teams in the playoffs, just like you spelled out. With a 5 week playoff period it is not possible unless you play more than one game a week, and we all know that is not happening.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Another prediction
If we're doing a top 10 for 4a I'm going with
1. Salem
2. Dinwiddie
3. LT
4. Sherando
5. Monacan
6. Charlottesville
7.Eastern View
8. Lafeyette
9. Blacksburg
10. Courtland
HM: Danville, Amherst, JF, Louisa, Millbrook

Great list! I think the Top 3 are definitely true, but that 4th spot is a head scratcher. We just don't know with so many young teams from last year (Courtland, JF, Sherando). We know Monacan will be good, and Blacksburg did win 3A last year, and EV is always good, so maybe those three next. Then maybe Cville, Sherando, Lafeyette, Courtland, Danville etc...
Keep in mind, this is preseason, and NOT what I think the rankings will be come playoff time.

Salem has the potential to be number 1
But that would be if all the Domino's fell in the right way. They have injuries, grade, and discipline issues to work out. If they don't get worked out they are a 7-3 team one and done in playoffs. If they get worked out they will make a run at a 4th straight finals

I've said this in a few threads now... Am I the only one who would rather see Dinwiddee and Salem play a 5a or 6a quality opponent verses playing each other in week two? Not sure if I am a big fan of 4a non-district matchups. No doubt it will be an amazing game, but does it cheapen the build up of a potential state championship game? Probably over-thinking it.

@DSH great list. I think 4-14 aren't that far apart. Not entirely sure 1-3 are that far ahead of the pack either. There is not one team that I don't have a question mark on.

Where the heck is @HoosFan05 when you need him. What is Louisa looking like?

I think this might be one of those years where a horse comes out of nowhere and makes it interesting. Not sure which one but I think 4a will have more balance this year than last.
King Fork has a very talented team returning and Heritage report news has some guys returning

Reactions: mbonape1
DP, a region cannot have more than 8 teams in the playoffs, just like you spelled out. With a 5 week playoff period it is not possible unless you play more than one game a week, and we all know that is not happening.

As I think I stated a couple of months ago, the only way it could be done is if every team in the region in question finished the regular season a week earlier than all other regions, to give that region an extra week for playoffs. And that would require all the schools in that region either starting a week earlier than everyone else in the state, or not having an open week somewhere on the schedule. I don't see all of those gyrations happening just to add two or four more teams, which would all be the lowest seeds and very likely first-round losers, anyway. I personally think eight is too many in a twelve-school region such as Class 4 Region D. But, four is too exclusive, and six (while probably the best number) sets up the whole "some teams get byes" situation again. So eight schools in is probably the best solution.

I will be rather surprised if we see any region have anything other than eight playoff teams this fall. So, that should satisfy the people who have been clamoring for uniformity across all regions.

Great list! I think the Top 3 are definitely true, but that 4th spot is a head scratcher. We just don't know with so many young teams from last year (Courtland, JF, Sherando). We know Monacan will be good, and Blacksburg did win 3A last year, and EV is always good, so maybe those three next. Then maybe Cville, Sherando, Lafeyette, Courtland, Danville etc...
Keep in mind, this is preseason, and NOT what I think the rankings will be come playoff time.
Definitely. I think the top 5 is pretty concrete. I think all 5 teams will definitely be playing in late November, no if's, and's and but's about it. 6-14 could really go either way. I'd think I'd probably add Hanover in the honorable mentions so 6-15. It's going to be a real interesting year. After Pope at Dinwiddie (who is the best player in 4a), I think the competition is even.

Doesn't Louisa have a ton of loaded talent coming back?

Not sure where Hoos is, but as a Jefferson District fan, I'll do my best.

Gotta start out with Brandon Smith, the rising junior WR who has at least 15 offers at this point, including some from the ACC and SEC. He's 6-5, 215, a total beast and he had an amazing year last year. Malik Bell is also back for his senior season, He's a big, mobile, athletic QB that can THROW and is hard to take down. There were times I saw him last year against Cville where he had three guys on him and still managed to get 15+ yards on the ground. Job Whalen is also a rising senior, a real speedster RB that's hard, really hard, to catch when he gets going. I think they only graduate 11 guys, or around that. Seeing how they were very injured at the end of last year, expect them to come back raging. Don't sleep on them if you're in the east.

I love how Blacksburg has fans now and they know everything about the program. Couldn't find the stadium last October and you won't find them by 2019 but by god they're here now.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
What was the half time score in the Salem /Blacksburg game last year? Thirty minute drive from Blacksburg to Salem and less 500 fans showed up. Blacksburg will have to decide if the are going to have a football program or just be good every twenty years .

Battlefield opponents for EV....be ready to get bludgeoned by the running game

Salem has the potential to be number 1
But that would be if all the Domino's fell in the right way. They have injuries, grade, and discipline issues to work out. If they don't get worked out they are a 7-3 team one and done in playoffs. If they get worked out they will make a run at a 4th straight finals
I disagree, a few players does not make a team. Salem will be fine.

Reactions: mike salem
What was the half time score in the Salem /Blacksburg game last year? Thirty minute drive from Blacksburg to Salem and less 500 fans showed up. Blacksburg will have to decide if the are going to have a football program or just be good every twenty years .
Southbottom, your team last years state champs, stay positive! Doubt Salem fears anyone much less Blacksburg . Every year is a new year .

Reactions: JOrndorff
Blacksburg and Byrd will disappoint a lot of people this year. Charlottesville will go 10-0/9-1.

giphy.gif

51 days until practice. Don't count down the days, make the days count!!!

No QB to throw the ball?
Sure they do....kid up from JV last year that some probably thought was better than the varsity starter last year. Offense should still be able to put up 40+ per game. Like most teams it will come down to can they make defensive stops in the "big" games against other great offenses.

Lake Taylor is well coached and will be fine. They have a program at Lake Taylor and the kids will be prepared and play hard.
I'm no longer at LT as I've moved into Admin, where I've hired a new football coach and trying to improve upon a one win campaign at my current job. We are trying to build a program and hopefully we take some strides over here at Churchland.

This may not be a real surprise, but perennial playoff team, Heritage of Newport News might not make the playoffs this year. They graduate 43% of their team. And, they have their typical rugged beach area schedule.
I wouldn't underestimate the coaching skills of Coach Massenberg and his staff. He played and coached under Mike Smith. He knows how to build a winner.

I wouldn't underestimate the coaching skills of Coach Massenberg and his staff. He played and coached under Mike Smith. He knows how to build a winner.
I won't disagree at all with what you say. But losing half your team is still a big hurdle to get over. It puts a huge premium on off-season training.

When you inject that many new players into your starting lineup, the first 5-7 games of the year are a crap shoot. Little things like KO and punt coverage can let a sure win get away. And then you add the probability of several turnovers in each of the early games, and everything else has to be clicking like clockwork to pull off the wins. That's not usually the case.

The Heritage schedule has not been posted yet, but they most likely will have Lake Taylor, Hampton, Phoebus, Bethel, Woodside and Gloucester. That could very possibly be six losses right there, unless they start the season like a bunch of grizzled veterans.

I won't disagree at all with what you say. But losing half your team is still a big hurdle to get over. It puts a huge premium on off-season training.

When you inject that many new players into your starting lineup, the first 5-7 games of the year are a crap shoot. Little things like KO and punt coverage can let a sure win get away. And then you add the probability of several turnovers in each of the early games, and everything else has to be clicking like clockwork to pull off the wins. That's not usually the case.

The Heritage schedule has not been posted yet, but they most likely will have Lake Taylor, Hampton, Phoebus, Bethel, Woodside and Gloucester. That could very possibly be six losses right there, unless they start the season like a bunch of grizzled veterans.
Heritage doesn't want to play Lake Taylor in the next 2 year cycle so the Titans will play Phoebus

Last edited:
Courtland will still field a young team this year, just not as young as last year. Going from diapers to pull ups. They are still a year away from fielding their strongest playoff team. Got Louisa in the opener so that will shed some light, but expect a wail of a game although I more than likely start 0-1! Cougars will make the playoffs and depending on transfers Hint, Hint, could be a little more stronger than anticipated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT