ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Newton

Wow... Malik is the real deal which makes it so much tougher of a pill to swallow.

Known about this for awhile. Very unfortunate situation as he's a great kid. Gave up his senior year to enroll early as he was going to play as a Freshman. Now he has to make a tough life decision as an 18 year old kid. Sad
The report says he remains on the team but cannot play. Until the condition is known it remains uncertain what direction to take. Can he improve to play ? If not, how can he retain his scholarship to get an OSU degree and move in in life and career. Hard choices.

The report says he remains on the team but cannot play. Until the condition is known it remains uncertain what direction to take. Can he improve to play ? If not, how can he retain his scholarship to get an OSU degree and move in in life and career. Hard choices.

Medical DQ usually means your career is over. In college it *usually* means they found a heart issue (knees, spine, CTE make up most of the other medical DQs but heart is way up there as a cause) although I'm not saying that's what happened to him. He will never play at Pitt, that's what the DQ status is for, so they can keep him on a special scholarship but clear his "regular" scholarship for use by someone who is going to suit up.

Sounds like Devils is saying (at least that's how I'm reading his post) he either has to decide that football is now in the past for him and to continue at Pitt to get his degree and graduate or potentially find another school that will medically clear him for play. The latter option does happen from time-to-time, for what it's worth.

Bad situation all-around. I wonder if it's a football-related issue that may not pop up in another sport, though? He was a multi-sport athlete, maybe he has an outlet somewhere else?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT