ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg vs. Sherando

Apr 15, 2020
Thoughts on this game? Do y’all think Sherando will be able to keep it close like the past and potentially catch the Dawgs thinking too much about next week’s game against Highland Springs or will this be a blowout in the favor of Martinsburg?

Martinsburg is considerably better than Sherando this year, so if the Bulldogs play well I don't expect it to be close. The weather conditions may favor Sherando given how much of a mudbath Arrowhead Stadium is likely to be tomorrow, but it shouldn't slow down MHS.

All that said, Martinsburg has played poorly against Sherando a few times in the past despite being the far better team. The 2011, 2016, and 2017 contests were all decided by 7 points or fewer and Martinsburg was several touchdowns better than the Warriors in each of those seasons. So if they come out and turn the ball over a lot and make a bunch of other uncharacteristic mistakes, it could be a game.

I don't think that will happen though. They seem very well coached and shouldn't be looking a week ahead.

Still, I'd love to be proven wrong!

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I only see Martinsburg losing to Highland Springs. Sherando game will be decided early.

I don’t know if any team in VA is beating HS this year. Maybe Phoebus or Freedom-Woodbridge could give them a run. With that being said, if Martinsburg beats HS this year you have to think if they have the best program within the two states. They’ve beaten Salem 3 times and HS once. That’s tough! 3-0 on the road in two of the toughest places to play in VA.

I don’t know if any team in VA is beating HS this year. Maybe Phoebus or Freedom-Woodbridge could give them a run. With that being said, if Martinsburg beats HS this year you have to think if they have the best program within the two states. They’ve beaten Salem 3 times and HS once. That’s tough! 3-0 on the road in two of the toughest places to play in VA.
Martinsburg has built the program up to a point that a lot of kids choose to transfer there to play. Nothing wrong with that. I understand when you win the state title game 61-21 and steamroll the state of WV for a decade. This gives them depth especially on the lines. HS looks to be much better than they were last yr. I'm definitely looking forward to next week.

BoKnowsSports, You’re probably correct about the possibility of no Virginia team defeating HSHS but HSHS is coming to Martinsburg. The environment there is a totally different animal. Remember Martinsburg came to HSHS house last season and wasn’t fazed one bit. I see the game being very competitive but Martinsburg rarely looses at home. IMHO the Dogs win by 7-10 points due to a superior Kicking game.

Varina and Oscar Smith are good representatives of VA too. I truly don’t think either one of them could or will beat Highland Springs this year either. Martinsburg and Chambers beat a very Sophomore heavy team last year with little to no chemistry. 1 extra point was the difference. This year’s edition REALLY IS different from the past 3 to 4 seasons. Next year “MAY” be even better.

Last edited:
BoKnowsSports, You’re probably correct about the possibility of no Virginia team defeating HSHS but HSHS is coming to Martinsburg. The environment there is a totally different animal. Remember Martinsburg came to HSHS house last season and wasn’t fazed one bit. I see the game being very competitive but Martinsburg rarely looses at home. IMHO the Dogs win by 7-10 points due to a superior Kicking game.
7-10 points?! That will take some serious home cooking from the officials to achieve that. Martinsburg is not as good as Chambers, and Highland Springs had to overcome some serious home cooking down there, but they still came away with a touchdown victory. This team doesn’t care about traveling,who they play,or where they play. Last year was by far the worst team,chemistry wise and experience wise,Highland Springs has put on the field since 2014,and Martinsburg could only manage a one point victory due to a missed extra point. Anyone will tell you, this is definitely not the young Highland Springs team you faced last year. I honestly hope that that 7 to 10 point comment was just a joke.

Martinsburg has built the program up to a point that a lot of kids choose to transfer there to play. Nothing wrong with that. I understand when you win the state title game 61-21 and steamroll the state of WV for a decade. This gives them depth especially on the lines. HS looks to be much better than they were last yr. I'm definitely looking forward to next week.
How big is Martinsburg?

Sometimes smaller schools like that have large attendance zones. You end up with kids from all over going there. Would make sense that they could be pretty good.

Sometimes smaller schools like that have large attendance zones. You end up with kids from all over going there. Would make sense that they could be pretty good.
The city has about 18,000 residents but it is also part of the Hagerstown-Martinsburg Metropolitan area that had 263,753 residents in 2008

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Chambers lost their AD, HC and DC in recent years, couple good DL, and of course the deal with Smothers. That's how things go in Charlotte sometimes. Not sure there's a real good team in the Carolinas this year. We'll see.

Highland Springs looks to be a lot better though. That's not an easy season opener. Springers pretty physical. Got some speed.. Didn't get rattled when they went down early like I thought they might. I expect they will be a tough out.

Last edited:
Chambers lost their AD, HC and DC in recent years, couple good DL, and of course the deal with Smothers. That's how things go in Charlotte sometimes. Not sure there's a real good team in the Carolinas this year. We'll see.

Highland Springs looks to be a lot better though. That's not an easy season opener. Springers pretty physical. Got some speed.. Didn't get rattled when they went down early like I thought they might. I expect they will be a tough out.
I personally know the DC they lost. It was definitely a loss but I think they wanted to go In a different direction

I mean, they very well could be, I don't know. I feel like it'd be difficult to say that definitively without playing them 🤷🏻‍♂️.

7-10 points?! That will take some serious home cooking from the officials to achieve that. Martinsburg is not as good as Chambers, and Highland Springs had to overcome some serious home cooking down there, but they still came away with a touchdown victory. This team doesn’t care about traveling,who they play,or where they play. Last year was by far the worst team,chemistry wise and experience wise,Highland Springs has put on the field since 2014,and Martinsburg could only manage a one point victory due to a missed extra point. Anyone will tell you, this is definitely not the young Highland Springs team you faced last year. I honestly hope that that 7 to 10 point comment was just a joke.
HooSprings, It's amazing that you keep harping on the all the D1 prospects that HSHS had on their roster and the missed extra points but always fail to mention the 3 valid TD''s that Martinsburg has called back. Please go back and watch the game. Talk about home cooking!!! The mention of lack of chemistry and it's a sophmore heavy team wasn't mentioned last season...that my friend is called excuses!!! The fact is HSHS and their fans assumed that HSHS would not lose to a team from West Virginia and expected the game to be a route. How did that turn out for HSHS??? It seems as if HSHS didn't do the homework regarding Martinsburg. Hopefully lessons have been learned and you're program knows that Martinsburg is serious Program similar to HSHS. Safe travels and See you on the 16th.

Reactions: OCBoy
I've seen Highland Springs play. So, I know how good they are. Chambers plays good teams every year (in conference), so I have something to compare them to. That's why I said they're probably going to be a tough out for a lot of teams.

Wasn't meant as a slight.. I just haven't seen Martinsburg play. Watched the game last year. I know they've won a lot of games at home, so it must be a pretty tough environment. They beat Salem pretty bad which is impressive. But they're probably borderline 3A/4A in NC. So, it's harder, for me at least, to take away a lot from that game.

HooSprings, It's amazing that you keep harping on the all the D1 prospects that HSHS had on their roster and the missed extra points but always fail to mention the 3 valid TD''s that Martinsburg has called back. Please go back and watch the game. Talk about home cooking!!! The mention of lack of chemistry and it's a sophmore heavy team wasn't mentioned last season...that my friend is called excuses!!! The fact is HSHS and their fans assumed that HSHS would not lose to a team from West Virginia and expected the game to be a route. How did that turn out for HSHS??? It seems as if HSHS didn't do the homework regarding Martinsburg. Hopefully lessons have been learned and you're program knows that Martinsburg is serious Program similar to HSHS. Safe travels and See you on the 16th.
They are not “valid” TDs if you needed a penalty to get there. lol This team never developed an identity last year and STILL had a shot at the ring. You call it excuses,but I’m real about it. This is NOT the same team. The chemistry is obvious this yr and it’s shown on the field. There’s a monster coming from the East. The 16th is coming

I would have picked Chambers over Martinsburg last yr. Only because of how each team played HS. HS wasn't beating Chambers last yr but came close to beating the Dogs. Win or lose next week the Dogs should cruise to another title

First off, I don’t think Martinsburg had 3 TD’s wiped away. Two of those were legitimate penalties. However, the catch in which two Bulldog receivers caught the ball should have been a TD. That was a bad call on the refs part.

Secondly, both Massey Ratings and CalPreps have say Martinsburg is better than Chambers. CalPreps even has Martinsburg has double-digit favorites over Chambers. I’ll take the computer ratings over the polls any day.

If you ask me right now, I think the Highland Springs-Martinsburg game will be more competitive than the Highland Springs-Chambers. I got Highland Springs anywhere from 1-7 points next Friday.

Take it for what it’s worth, but CalPreps also has Martinsburg as the favorite over Highland Springs by two points, I don’t agree with that one.

I’ll summarize the Martinsburg-Sherando game once I get finished lifting weights.

Last edited:
  • Haha
The Springers usually play great on the road. We took down Chambers 2 weeks ago in Charlotte, NC. 3 of HS's 4 losses last year were AT HSHS. The year before, we lost in the Championship game against Stone Bridge as a home game at Varina HS.
It is odd, but HS has lost more home games than away over the past 5 or 6 years.

First off, I don’t think Martinsburg had 3 TD’s wiped away. Two of those were legitimate penalties. However, the catch in which two Bulldog receivers caught the ball should have been a TD. That was a bad call on the refs part.

Secondly, both Massey Ratings and CalPreps have say Martinsburg is better than Chambers. CalPreps even has Martinsburg has double digit-favorites over Chambers. I’ll take the computer ratings over the polls any day.

If you ask me right now, I think the Highland Springs-Martinsburg game will be more competitive than the Highland Springs-Game. I got Highland Springs anywhere from 1-7 points next Friday.

I’ll summarize the Martinsburg-Sherando game once I get finished lifting weights.
Massey and CalPreps BOTH had Chambers as a double digit favorite over HSHS this year.

I know Martinsburg missed a bunch of extra points tonight and had almost 200 yards in Penalties tonight. Sherando had a safety and turn the ball over twice inside their own 20 yard line. Martinsburg was able to capitalize on all three of those mistakes by Sherando, there is no way that defense should be giving up three touchdowns to Sharando. Too early interceptions by Martinsburg passers did not help their offense either.

The Springers usually play great on the road. We took down Chambers 2 weeks ago in Charlotte, NC. 3 of HS's 4 losses last year were AT HSHS. The year before, we lost in the Championship game against Stone Bridge as a home game at Varina HS.
It is odd, but HS has lost more home games than away over the past 5 or 6 years.
HS has not lost a true regular season road game in six years! They did of course lose on the road in the playoffs on a controversial penalty after a touchdown last year

Ratings can be kinda hit or miss this time of year. Massey predicted Chambers over Hickory Ridge 35 - 20, tonight, in the NC game of the week. Chambers, without their top WR, had put the game out of reach 35 - 0 before Hickory Ridge got on the board. Gaffney was a 10 point favorite at home against Mallard Creek and lost by a touchdown. I'm sure there are more examples. New Bern vs Maury. Couple weeks they'll be more accurate.

But I probably still wouldn't pick someone just based on the ratings 😂. Honestly, probably wouldn't put a lot of faith in polls either unless you're talking about some team in that top 25 neighborhood or there's some huge disparity. I tend to trust my eyes or what I know about a program more than anything.

Last edited:
Just got back from the gym. Hit tris and chest.

HooSprings was right, Martinsburg looked very sloppy against Sherando, especially in the first half. They also looked very sloppy against Musselman, a conference opponent who is on Sherando’s level (It was 26-20 at the half, and then Martinsburg shut them out in the second half). The teams that played against Sherando and Musselman wasn’t the same team that dominated Salem two weeks ago.

To be Frank, Martinsburg won this game because they outclassed Sherando in just about every facet, except for coaching. I think Sherando gained more yards off of Martinsburg penalties than they did actual offense. Take away penalties and this would probably be a shut out, or a touchdown for Sherando at the very worst.

The Bulldogs stepped up and were locked in against Salem, and I anticipate it will be like against Highland Springs. I didn’t see much game planning in either Musselman or Sherando games. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Highland Springs game was the first game the Martinsburg coaching staff talked about after the win against Salem.

If Martinsburg tries to play like they did tonight and last week against Highland Springs, they deserve to get the doors blown off of them. The Springers are much more cohesive than they were last year. Both teams committed some bad penalties but Martinsburg managed to pull the game out and was the better team. I don’t think HS is committing those same penalties they were committing last year. If Martinsburg plays against HS like how they played against Salem, they have a good chance of winning this game.

Ratings can be kinda hit or miss this time of year. Massey predicted Chambers over Hickory Ridge 35 - 20, tonight, in the NC game of the week. Chambers, without their top WR, had put the game out of reach 35 - 0 before Hickory Ridge got on the board. Gaffney was a 10 point favorite at home against Mallard Creek and lost by a touchdown. I'm sure there are more examples. New Bern vs Maury. Couple weeks they'll be more accurate.

But I probably still wouldn't pick someone just based on the ratings 😂. Honestly, probably wouldn't put a lot of faith in polls either unless you're talking about some team in that top 25 neighborhood or there's some huge disparity. I tend to trust my eyes or what I know about a program more than anything.
Chambers played without 3 D1 starters (Concepcion, McGill, and Caldwell) tonight and beat Hickory Ridge like they stole something. The score wasn’t as close as indicated. Chambers is an unique team. I’ve seen them play 4 times and the HS game was the only game that I saw a team match them mentally. HS is a different beast this year. That win at Chambers is much bigger than people are giving them credit for. I like the Springers to get a win in WV. This is a very special team.

I've been to Martinsburg. It's no different than playing anywhere else. I did not think it was a hostile environment. The stadium is small so you will have Dogs fans sitting behind your team. Now there was a million small bugs flying around and it was cool to see the cement building lit up at night.

Martinsburg thumping their chest for the win against Salem is what I would call fools gold.. First and foremost, Salem’s game plan was complete crap that game as they were trying to establish the traditional Salem offense.. Salem just isn’t a power the ball team this year, yet that’s what they tried over and over against a very strong Martinsburg D-line!! Salem tried it again against Franklin County and almost lost that game as well, from what I saw last night, they finally got a little more creative with the offense and blew out Fleming.. Having #2 back in the line up helps tremendously as well, dude is strong, and fast!! Salem had to replace the whole D line, 2 line backers, and a DB, and their Defense still gave Martinsburg a game in the first half, Salem was playing everyone except the QB, both ways, the defense got wore down the 2nd half.. one of Martinsburg touchdowns in the first half was a block punt, Not an excuse, it is what it is.. I’m not knocking Martinsburg in any way, I just dont think they are as good this year as they were the last couple of years!

I may be wrong, and if I am, so what!! Lol.. But I think Highland Springs wins this one handily!!!

Martinsburg thumping their chest for the win against Salem is what I would call fools gold.. First and foremost, Salem’s game plan was complete crap that game as they were trying to establish the traditional Salem offense.. Salem just isn’t a power the ball team this year, yet that’s what they tried over and over against a very strong Martinsburg D-line!! Salem tried it again against Franklin County and almost lost that game as well, from what I saw last night, they finally got a little more creative with the offense and blew out Fleming.. Having #2 back in the line up helps tremendously as well, dude is strong, and fast!! Salem had to replace the whole D line, 2 line backers, and a DB, and their Defense still gave Martinsburg a game in the first half, Salem was playing everyone except the QB, both ways, the defense got wore down the 2nd half.. one of Martinsburg touchdowns in the first half was a block punt, Not an excuse, it is what it is.. I’m not knocking Martinsburg in any way, I just dont think they are as good this year as they were the last couple of years!

I may be wrong, and if I am, so what!! Lol.. But I think Highland Springs wins this one handily!!!
All teams have to replace D-Lines , O-Lines, players , etc… on a yearly basis. So does Martinsburg. That’s High school Football. Most teams at the 4A Level have a lot of players playing both ways . I agree the Martinsburg -Highland Springs game should be a good one.

All teams have to replace D-Lines , O-Lines, players , etc… on a yearly basis. So does Martinsburg. That’s High school Football. Most teams at the 4A Level have a lot of players playing both ways . I agree the Martinsburg -Highland Springs game should be a good one.
At times, high school teams have to replace the whole defense and offense, but it’s not common that it happens every year. Salem rarely has 9-10 playing both ways, as do most 4a and up teams, you have a few players that go both ways,but not that many (10).. this post ain’t about Salem, it’s bout the fact that Salem had a bad game plan, had the entire team playing both ways and special teams, Salem literally sucked that game. Did Martinsburg play that many both ways(they had a couple) but not the entire team…just simply saying don’t base how good Martinsburg is based on that game, it’s fools gold. Salem will be hitting their peak around game 10 this year, IMO.. they were god awful the first two game’s. Salem looked better last night, but they have made some major adjustments, like the entire defense and offense lines do not play both ways, made some major adjustments on defense as well.. more creative on offense, use that game to judge Martinsburg’s strength if you will, but you would be mistaken!!

I've been to Martinsburg. It's no different than playing anywhere else. I did not think it was a hostile environment. The stadium is small so you will have Dogs fans sitting behind your team. Now there was a million small bugs flying around and it was cool to see the cement building lit up at night.
As Charlotte found out…HSHS travels well. I know they have at least 1 charter bus of fans coming,and most,like myself,will drive. I’ll bring the “OFF” for the bugs. lol

Reactions: SFUWO
Highland Springs only has 2 players that play offense and defense. Both are DBs/WRs that have committed to VT,but neither stays on the field for every offensive play. No lineman goes both ways. 4 of the 5 OL returned,and 3 of the 4 DL returned.

Yep!!!

Reactions: pizzzzza
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT