ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg, WV @ Sherando

It won't be close if Martinsburg plays like they should and Sherando plays like they did against Liberty last week. No one in WV will stay within 40 of their first team, and that's being generous.

That being said, Martinsburg clearly had the better team last year too and it ended up being a 7 point game, so you never know.

Nobody is more bigger fan of Sherando than I am, and sometimes you never know. I just have to be realistic after the last game , I was let down by that performance. Totally lackluster.
Only thing that wins this game for Sherando is if the Warriors play lights out, get some turnovers, and the Dawgs eat bad sushi before they get off the bus. I believe they will play well, and keep it close for a while. Best team Sherando has played since 2013 Dinwiddie. Good luck Warriors

Nobody is more bigger fan of Sherando than I am, and sometimes you never know. I just have to be realistic after the last game , I was let down by that performance. Totally lackluster.
Only thing that wins this game for Sherando is if the Warriors play lights out, get some turnovers, and the Dawgs eat bad sushi before they get off the bus. I believe they will play well, and keep it close for a while. Best team Sherando has played since 2013 Dinwiddie. Good luck Warriors
It is wild to me that they could lose the WV Player of the year due to transfer and still be this dominant and up to par with 2013 Dinwiddie?! Goodness

Martinsburg (W.Va.) at Sherando

When: Today, 7 p.m.

Where: Sherando’s Arrowhead Stadium in Stephens City.

Records: Martinsburg Bulldogs (6-0); Sherando Warriors (4-1).

Last week: Martinsburg beat Washington (W.Va.) 57-0; Sherando had a bye (lost to Liberty 31-28 on Sept. 22)

Last year: Martinsburg won 35-28.

Players to watch: Martinsburg — QB Tyson Bagent, RB/LB Dewayne Grantham, RB Mikey Jackson, DE Tavis Lee. Sherando — RB/DB T.J. Washington, QB Hunter Entsminger, S/WR Aaron Banks, LB/HB Mike Perry, RB/LB JoJo Doleman, OL/DL Isaiah Allen.

Preview: In addition to the fact that Sherando lost for the first time, one of the big storylines coming out of the Liberty game was quarterback Hunter Entsminger leaving the game with 10:40 left in the fourth quarter. Entsminger was sacked on a two-point conversion with the Warriors up 15-14.

“He’s doing good,” Sherando coach Bill Hall said when asked if Entsminger would be ready to go for tonight.

For the second straight game, Sherando takes on an undefeated opponent. This one is trying to do it for the second straight year.

Defending West Virginia Class AAA state champion Martinsburg features yet another strong squad.

Winners of 20 straight games, Martinsburg has outscored opponents 321-36. The Bulldogs have only allowed three points in the first half all season.

Quarterback Tyson Bagent has completed more than two-thirds of his passes for 1,041 yards and 16 TDs in the Bulldogs’ spread offense.

Dewayne Grantham has been offered a scholarship by West Virginia University as an outside linebacker, and he came into the game against Washington leading the team with 422 rushing yards. Defensive end Tavis Lee is also back after winning the Huff Award as the state’s top defensive player.

“They’re always a very skilled team, and they always have a good front,” Hall said. “They’re very similar to years past. They do a good job making you play the entire field on defense through run game, and also making you defend RPOs [run-pass options], things like that, so you’ve got to defend the entire field horizontally and vertically.”

Though Sherando gave up 31 points to Liberty, the Warriors held the Eagles to a respectable 277 yards. The Warriors were hurt by giving up big plays. Each of Liberty’s three offensive touchdowns were for at least 25 yards, and the Eagles also added a safety on a snap out of the end zone and an interception return for a touchdown.

Sherando was the only team to come within 27 points of the Bulldogs last year. The Warriors had four takeaways in that game, so limiting big plays and generating a few of their own on both sides of the ball could be key.

“They’re going to make plays, and we need to continually respond to those things,” Hall said. “Turnover ratio is always huge, as well as hidden yardage and special teams. It’s important we do a good job winning the little aspects of the game that add up big over the course of time.”

Tonight is Sherando’s Hall of Fame contest, and the game will also be the Warriors’ first with a new scoreboard.

— Compiled by Robert Niedzwiecki

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT