ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville 69 Tunstall 47

iDidntGetBanned

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2019
Tunstall must not want to win. Barely playing their best player. He didn’t even start tonight. I’d say he (D’ric Rogers) and Emmanuel White from Dan River are the best players in the Danville area right now and neither is even 16 years old yet!

Emmanuel White is good but in my opinion, not the best player on his team. I think Robert Carter is the best for Dan River.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I'd be surprised to see Rogers ever leave Tunstall. He'd go to Hargrave if he was to leave however.
He looks pretty happy in Tunstall’s post game pictures that their coach takes of them after every win. The coaches benched him because “he doesn’t bring intensity on D” which is absolutely BS if you ask me. He leads the team in steals and deflections. Also there are only a few college and NBA players who are two way stars, even if that is the case. Tunstall is extremely political, very very conservative and if you stray from the norm even a tad bit, you’re ostracized. I’m not the child’s father, but I would make the move. Kid has a chance to earn a scholarship somewhere, being at Tunstall will ultimately hurt his chances. For me, non of the coaches there will develop or coach him to that level. Jeff Adkins and Murphy at DR would be excellent choices only because GW and Magna Vista will be very guard heavy over the next 3 years. Hargrave, Morehead and Reidsville are great options as well!

Interesting take. There's a lot of coaches playing Wizard of Oz out here watching YouTube. Only a handful of quality coaches that are really developing players and teams. For the most part, schools want to win. If you've been doing the same thing being conservative and your teams are consistently the whipping boy, you need to change.

Interesting take. There's a lot of coaches playing Wizard of Oz out here watching YouTube. Only a handful of quality coaches that are really developing players and teams. For the most part, schools want to win. If you've been doing the same thing being conservative and your teams are consistently the whipping boy, you need to change.
You probably already know, but Tunstall is a place where they don’t do outsiders. Lloyd had 2 really good seasons (16 years ago) running a 70s offense and should have really given it up earlier, Price was okay as a coach but did whatever the “man” told him and never developed any talent. They had a chance to hire a very young Hargrave Post Grad Assistant, who was actually a Tunstall grad, went to college at the University of Miami and was a manager under Jim Larrañaga for a couple of years.... They gave the position back to Eddy Lloyd.. The particular coach they passed up from Hargrave is currently one of Garner Roads’ (John Wall & David West’s AAU team) top coaches and recruiters and is giving the kids in the Danville area a chance to get exposure on the AAU circuit... You can’t make this stuff up! Even with the football hire this past summer, a very good coach from Magna Vista got the job and the coach who has the Tunstall job now, cried and complained (he was an assistant at Tunstall for a long time but has never accomplished anything) and admin gave him the job. Tunstall is a great academic school but I can’t say I respect their athletic program.

A lot of wizards...of Oz. Some are able to hide behind talent, but can't draw up X's and O's or don't know how to build a practice plan. Never see them with a clipboard diagramming plays or making adjustments. Some don't have the talent, but go to clinics to develop the players they do have. Some have neither the talent or the desire to get better or develop. Then you have very few who know the ins and outs, and can do a lot with a little or a plethora of talent. Lot of AD's with no coaching experience letting anything in, not asking for practice plans during the interviews or asking appropriate questions on these hires. Coaching is just like teaching, hurting the development of players if the teacher isn't effective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT