ADVERTISEMENT

Massaponax 42 Chancellor 19 Recap

ChancellorFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 20, 2001
First things first. Massaponax is a very, very good football team. There is a reason they are rated #1 in this area. And they took everything the Chargers gave them. And the Chargers gave them a lot! Not sure how many yards the Panthers got tonight but it wouldn't take more than a martini to convince me it was over a million or two. Seriously, they marched the ball down the field at will.

The Chargers just didn't show up and play their game. Everything looked lethargic. The offense managed to put together a couple good drives but hit and miss beyond that. The D missed more tackles than I can count. The bottom line is they just didn't show up. After talking to a few of them, I believe they know it. Doesn't really matter at this point. Its on to next week and Eastern View. The Chargers will be ready. They know they didn't play up to their standards tonight and that will not be the case next week.

Stand by if you play Massaponax. They are the real deal!

I expected more from Chancellor after Courtland held Ponax to one TD last week. Perhaps the Chargers played over their heads against the Bears. Perhaps Ponax played poorly against Courtland. Perhaps the Courtland defense is as good as the 2 FG's they gave the Bears tonight. And then Spotsy came from way behind to beat the Fluccos tonight. Monticello was right in it against LT at the half. KG pummeled W&L last week and could do nothing against Essex this week. Who really knows what anybody has yet. The world is just upside down at this point. Should be an interesting season. Handicapping these games is damn near impossible now.

I expected more from Chancellor after Courtland held Ponax to one TD last week. Perhaps the Chargers played over their heads against the Bears. Perhaps Ponax played poorly against Courtland. Perhaps the Courtland defense is as good as the 2 FG's they gave the Bears tonight. And then Spotsy came from way behind to beat the Fluccos tonight. Monticello was right in it against LT at the half. KG pummeled W&L last week and could do nothing against Essex this week. Who really knows what anybody has yet. The world is just upside down at this point. Should be an interesting season. Handicapping these games is damn near impossible now.
Yep! Its a crazy second week! Everyone in the Battlefield District is 1-1 except Caroline and they are 0-2. Can't speak for anyone other than Chancellor, but I do not think they were over their head last week. I believe they weren't on their game tonight for some reason … probably multiples. Don't think I have seen a start in the Battlefield like this though!

I never expected the Courtland/Riverbend score to be close, thats for sure.

Yep! Its a crazy second week! Everyone in the Battlefield District is 1-1 except Caroline and they are 0-2. Can't speak for anyone other than Chancellor, but I do not think they were over their head last week. I believe they weren't on their game tonight for some reason … probably multiples. Don't think I have seen a start in the Battlefield like this though!

I never expected the Courtland/Riverbend score to be close, thats for sure.
Courtland killed themselves with turnovers tonight. 1 interception and multiple fumbles lost. Qb was harassed all night and had no time to throw. Defense played well though.

Courtland killed themselves with turnovers tonight. Qb was harassed all night and had no time to throw. Defense played well though.
Turnovers and Courtland are not words I'm used to seeing in the same sentence. Last week they had 5 fumbles and lost 3. This week, it sounds like more of the same. If there is one thing I can say about Courtland football, it's they are disciplined and limit turnovers and penalties. More juju that just doesn't make sense so far this year.

Questionable play calling, clock management and the afore mentioned turnovers should have doomed the Cougars tonight. Like 7time said, the defense kept Courtland hanging around. Lawson and Cheetam are both very talented RB's but they must forget about toting a binder to class/school this week and instead carry the pigskin with them everywhere. Ball security truly cost Courtland the game against Ponax and darn near did again tonight. IMO, Green needs to get more touches at pounding the rock. Good to see Allen at WR this year (maximizing his skill set/athletic ability), however I'd like to see #1 split out opposite of Allen more often on certain sets. Over all, the old saying "survive and move on" played out tonight for Courtland. Hopefully the turnover "bug" gets remedied and the Cougars can start amassing the chunks of yards one expects to see from the vaunted wing-t. Mad props to Riverbend's feature RB, young man does NOT go down on initial contact and should carry the bulk of the offensive game plan for the Bears. Cougars avoid a derailment of the season tonight and pull out the victory. Back to the Cougars den next Friday where they will thump the Lions........book it!

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
When you keep dropping the rock, only bad things can happen. gotta'a see the write ups in the FLS tomorrow to see exactly what happens here. didn't see the game. Can't comment. Sure puts the Lions in a position of opportunity next Friday. GL.

Turnovers on both sides of the ball hurt both teams. Defensive played solid for both side until late in the 4th. Court land keep pounding the running game and went to there bigger back late in the game. RBs featured back who ran so hard against Chancellor was out of the game. Never saw him play.

Courtland had 5 fumbles and lost 3 against Massaponax and had 6 losing 5 last night. Wow! Thats probably as many as they have had in a whole season in the past few years.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Can't win consistently if you have turnovers, that's a fact. The "silver lining" to all of that is that Courtland's defense is a very strong unit and while visibly frustrated with the offense continuing to put the ball on the ground, rose to the occasion and made stops where they had to. If the defense keeps playing at a high level and the backs figure out how to hold onto the ball, they'll have a successful season.

I did notice this from film. Sure tackling and monster hard hits. Really good stuff defensively. Offensively, nothing else needs to be said and they're already trending in the wrong direction. So unCougaristic.

ADVERTISEMENT