Mathews vs Colonial Beach State Semifinal

How’d that happen. I thought CB was a lock
That’s why they play the game

1st Mathews 6 CB 10
2nd Mathews 24 CB 30
3rd mathews 40 CB 40
4th Tied at 51...Overtime
Mathews wins in OT 56-53
Congrats to mathews. Davis fouled out before OT, we’re talking a different final score if he doesn’t foul out, but the if’s dont win games. We will back next year, best believe.

Man, o, man. It was a good game. Other than a few missed travel calls, the refs were actually pretty decent. Congrats to Mathews. With the strategy CB had towards the end, I think they definitely did exactly what Mathews hoped they would. But why would CB run more than 2 minutes off the clock with a 1 point lead and in a bonus situation? I don’t get that part at all. with the speed CB has and the way the floor was spread, I think that’s an attack type situation all day. That surely hurt CB down the stretch. Played right to Mathews favor unfortunately, and left a lot of opportunities on the floor. With Jett hitting his FTs, you want him going to the line as often as possible. It was the perfect setup to attack the bucket for the last few minutes and maybe force a different outcome. Tough way to go out. But they had a great season.

Man, o, man. It was a good game. Other than a few missed travel calls, the refs were actually pretty decent. Congrats to Mathews. With the strategy CB had towards the end, I think they definitely did exactly what Mathews hoped they would. But why would CB run more than 2 minutes off the clock with a 1 point lead and in a bonus situation? I don’t get that part at all. with the speed CB has and the way the floor was spread, I think that’s an attack type situation all day. That surely hurt CB down the stretch. Played right to Mathews favor unfortunately, and left a lot of opportunities on the floor. With Jett hitting his FTs, you want him going to the line as often as possible. It was the perfect setup to attack the bucket for the last few minutes and maybe force a different outcome. Tough way to go out. But they had a great season.
That definitely is a tough situation. I always say to go with brought you to the dance and CB is an attacking team. I've seen too many times in my lifetime, where teams go into stall mode too early and it backfires. Hats off to Mathews though. They are tenacious as anything and don't seem to get rattled by any situation. I'm looking forward to the state championship game on Thursday. I've seen Auburn play 3 times and I've seen Mathews on three occasions. It should be a fun one.

Reactions: coolbreeze20772
That definitely is a tough situation. I always say to go with brought you to the dance and CB is an attacking team. I've seen too many times in my lifetime, where teams go into stall mode too early and it backfires. Hats off to Mathews though. They are tenacious as anything and don't seem to get rattled by any situation. I'm looking forward to the state championship game on Thursday. I've seen Auburn play 3 times and I've seen Mathews on three occasions. It should be a fun one.
Concur. I would definitely say the stall was way too early and it surely backfired. I’m honestly not even sure why you’d want to stall with the situation they were in. The stage was set for what had worked to their advantage all season - attack mode. Like you said, they should have went with what brought them to the dance. No need to have changed it up now.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Just now reading this score and I must say I am surprised. Due to the previous game between them and the build-up on here from some CB fans, I really believed they were the better team and would prevail. Now that Mathews has won, I hope they can take the title because goodness knows Auburn doesn't need a state title in yet another sport!

My Gladiators must be some kind of good luck charm. They have now lost in state tournament play five times over the years and in the first four cases, the other team went on to win the title..........Altavista, Colonial Beach, Lancaster, and Surry. So here is hoping Mathews can make it five for five.

Last edited:
CB has been running that play all year at the end of the game and usually slips a back door bucket in. Just so happens this game they turn the ball over several times while running it. I don’t know if it was nerves or what.

CB has been running that play all year at the end of the game and usually slips a back door bucket in. Just so happens this game they turn the ball over several times while running it. I don’t know if it was nerves or what.
The bad part is that’s not a play to start running with a 1 point lead and 4 minutes left. That’s an end of game strategy. It had the opposite effect of what it’s intended to do.

Davis fouled out in the 4th quarter his turnovers was when they were running the same play they have been running all year in the 4th quarter not the last min. It’s a dribble drive play that burns clock and opens up some layups. Only difference this game is the turnovers. It’s a play that can be ran at any point in the game it’s not 4 corners

And also under 4 mins CB was still forcing up 3s as they was all game. With a min and a half left in the game CB has the ball up 1 month. Take care of the ball knock down your free throws and stop the dribble penetration on the other end and you get out with a win. Film don’t lie

Reactions: sportzone66
Well I’m sorry after watching the film it was actually 59 seconds left when CB tried to attack and dish and turned the ball over in the paint.

Either way both sides played their hearts out. It’s sad someone had to lose. Mathews is a hell of a team and play hell of great team defense. They pack it in and force you to take jump shots. That’s what killed CB . They had to shoot 15-20 perimeter shots making a small percentage. That changed the game and let Mathews get back in. Had they penetrated and continued to drop it off would of been a different game.

Reactions: sportzone66
They missed many calls in the final minutes of the game like the one Corvion Davis fouled out on that was a blocking foul not even close to a charge and that one foul cost us the game not mentioning the no call on MJ Virgils take charge attempt.

Reactions: Drifterfan21
Davis fouled out in the 4th quarter his turnovers was when they were running the same play they have been running all year in the 4th quarter not the last min. It’s a dribble drive play that burns clock and opens up some layups. Only difference this game is the turnovers. It’s a play that can be ran at any point in the game it’s not 4 corners
They definitely did the dribble part. Just forget the drive piece! Otherwise, it’s just killing clock unnecessarily.

Either way both sides played their hearts out. It’s sad someone had to lose. Mathews is a hell of a team and play hell of great team defense. They pack it in and force you to take jump shots. That’s what killed CB . They had to shoot 15-20 perimeter shots making a small percentage. That changed the game and let Mathews get back in. Had they penetrated and continued to drop it off would of been a different game.
Completely agree there. Stop all the unneeded 3s; Drive and dump it off, would have been a whole different story. And there was ample opportunity to do it. They just did the opposite unfortunately. But that’s basketball.

Watch John Calipari and you will understand what a dribble drive offense is and how it’s run. You can’t win without execution. Execution meaning no turnovers.

I wish I could agree with you on the charge but from me watching the slowed down recorded view it looks as if the guy beat him to the spot.

They missed many calls in the final minutes of the game like the one Corvion Davis fouled out on that was a blocking foul not even close to a charge and that one foul cost us the game not mentioning the no call on MJ Virgils take charge attempt.
How many excuses do you have man lol ?

Reactions: st8chmpLB
Watch John Calipari and you will understand what a dribble drive offense is and how it’s run. You can’t win without execution. Execution meaning no turnovers.

I wish I could agree with you on the charge but from me watching the slowed down recorded view it looks as if the guy beat him to the spot.
I think we’d all agree on the turnovers and execution. Low shooting percentage outside and not taking advantage of opportunities inside = not enough production. The opportunity was there, the stage was set, we just failed to take advantage of it. Painful learning lesson.

Reactions: Unbiasedbballfan
Bye Bye ! LOL
You say bye bye but yall lost to us in the first round. I dont even know how yall made it that far with a garbage line up like that. How do you let a big man #24 keep shooting 3's. Clearly the coaching is off too. Its a shame that they also let a freshman cook the whole team in 3 seconds. Trash can of a team

You say bye bye but yall lost to us in the first round. I dont even know how yall made it that far with a garbage line up like that. How do you let a big man #24 keep shooting 3's. Clearly the coaching is off too. Its a shame that they also let a freshman cook the whole team in 3 seconds. Trash can of a team
I understand the bashing of adults(well kind of)..but the kids are off limits. Those boys competed with what they had..and they actually over achieved. Before I responded I did a little research..that same big man(#24) has been hitting three's all yr(maybe not like the guys in the Beach). So why would a coaching staff tell a guy to stop what he has been doing at a successful rate all year??? That same coaching staff achieved the same feat as the other teams in 1A boys basketball..2nd fiddle to the co-champs!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT