ADVERTISEMENT

Maury and Oscar Smith

17Bluebird

VaPreps Rookie
Apr 22, 2021
I noticed that these 2 teams only have 8 games on their schedule. Maybe they could schedule a home and home series.

As a Class 3 school, Lakeland HS has opted to skip playing their Class 6 opponents in the SouthEastern District. That would have been Smith's 10th game.

You are correct in that both Maury & O. Smith having an open date on Sep 3rd. I think it would/should/could be a good game. There is some chatter on social media that Smith is entertaining possible opponents for their 10th opponent. They have 9 now with #3 MaxPreps Ranked, St. John Bosco coming to Chesapeake for their Sept 17th game!

Maury would be the convenient game BUT I hope they find another out of state team that will be in the National Rankings. Smith has an opportunity to be consistently in the National rankings now (Currently #35 on MaxPreps) but there are still kids transferring out to IMG & St Francis Academy that would otherwise be on the Tiger's roster. The only way they can keep that talent local is to schedule the TV/ESPN type games! It would be nice to win some of those games, though, too!

Reactions: 17Bluebird
I see that Lakeland decided to be smart and drop the three biggest schools from their schedule as 757FridayNightZ said and play more schools closer to their enrollment. They might wind up winning 3 to 5 games this year. What would be better is if they went to the bay rivers district where they wouldn't loose as many games. Its not just Lakeland there are a lot of schools that need to drop down a level to have better competition.

I don't think ESPN has announced their HS Football game schedule yet. But you'd think this game would be included.

Link to a list of out of state games this Fall being Streamed on FloSports Network.

If you bought the Year Long Subscription for NFHS Network, it might also be included. That's a good deal since you can watch just about any team & lots of different sports live or on demand!!! I was kind of addicted to it during the Spring Season. Getting to watch the NorthernVA games & the playoffs without the travel was a joy!

Reactions: tw2126
I don't think ESPN has announced their HS Football game schedule yet. But you'd think this game would be included.

Link to a list of out of state games this Fall being Streamed on FloSports Network.

If you bought the Year Long Subscription for NFHS Network, it might also be included. That's a good deal since you can watch just about any team & lots of different sports live or on demand!!! I was kind of addicted to it during the Spring Season. Getting to watch the NorthernVA games & the playoffs without the travel was a joy!
The AD at HSHS has been informed both their inter-state games will be televised. I’m QUITE SURE the Bosco at OSmith will be televised as well.

Chamber(NC) at Highland Springs 8/28
Martinsburg(WV) at Highland Springs 9/17

The AD at HSHS has been informed both their inter-state games will be televised. I’m QUITE SURE the Bosco at OSmith will be televised as well.

Chamber(NC) at Highland Springs 8/28
Martinsburg(WV) at Highland Springs 9/17
Obviously, knowing where to watch those games would be nice... This far, I've only seen the ESPN/GEICO Kickoff Classic games listed. 7 games, no VA teams included.

Actually, I cannot believe that these 2 teams didn't figure out a way to make this game happen on Friday. I'm not sure if the venue was the issue or what happened! I would have loved to have seen them play @ NSU / ODU!!??

There definitely did seem to be interest on both sides for it. But maybe like 2 dogs barking at each other with a fence between, when the gates open, sometimes they both suddenly get quiet!!! Not sure, just sayin!

Actually, I cannot believe that these 2 teams didn't figure out a way to make this game happen on Friday. I'm not sure if the venue was the issue or what happened! I would have loved to have seen them play @ NSU / ODU!!??

There definitely did seem to be interest on both sides for it. But maybe like 2 dogs barking at each other with a fence between, when the gates open, sometimes they both suddenly get quiet!!! Not sure, just sayin!
Yeah definitely would have been. My only thing im wondering is how did maury only end up with 8 games this year like nobody wanted to play them or what

Only 8 games might be the 1st signal for the AD to consider that there could be a problem for them. Not sure. But beyond the on field melodrama, transfers reliably propping up their talent pool and a sudden level of success, most of us can only guess about what's going on there.

Their Coaches know each other pretty well. There's the whole who's the best in the 757 stuff that goes on between them.

There's more likely some unsaid stuff going on. You know, trainer/influencer/handler type stuff. It's pretty heavy out here

Only 8 games might be the 1st signal for the AD to consider that there could be a problem for them. Not sure. But beyond the on field melodrama, transfers reliably propping up their talent pool and a sudden level of success, most of us can only guess about what's going on there.
I'm sure if one were to look hard enough, those traits can be said about most schools in the region who've had success, recent or sustained.

I can tell you that a school in VA was (and still may be) looking to fill an open slot on its schedule this week. Among the schools that reached out to me once I posted on Twitter were coaches from Maury and Oscar Smith, as well as John Marshall.

I referred the Head Coach of the school that was looking for a game in the direction of all three.

All I'd say is it is a bit odd that these schools couldn't fill the schedule to get to 9 or 10 games. Hopefully it doesn't negatively impact either when it comes to the playoffs and trying to gain a top seed or one of the top seeds.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Wow, thanks for the update.

Sooo, both teams ARE looking for a game yet either haven't or won't contact each other for what could be the game of the year in 757??

Yep, there's something between those teams.

What's a little strange is that with VHSL power points tie breaker goes to the team that played fewer games!!??

Wow, thanks for the update.

Sooo, both teams ARE looking for a game yet either haven't or won't contact each other for what could be the game of the year in 757??

Yep, there's something between those teams.

What's a little strange is that with VHSL power points tie breaker goes to the team that played fewer games!!??
Potentially, yes. I know last season in Region 5A crunching the numbers and running through a bunch of scenarios, the system encouraged a Maury playing less games than a Bayside had those two teams tied in the rating.

Of course, Maury beat Churchland in that final game to secure their spot. Some think that Tallwood's win knocked Bayside out, and while it effectively ended their hopes, the Marlins would've still been out-pointed by Maury had they beaten Tallwood. And that would've been a case of a 4-1 Maury out-pointing a 5-1 Bayside.

What was even wilder to me was that the Eastern District was allowing for its teams to make-up games, whereas the Beach decided against it from what I got told.

In the case of Maury / Oscar Smith - - I don't know the full story there and it would be unfair for me to speculate. I do know that one had reached out to the other during the off-season and unsure what prevented them from playing each other... if it was on Maury's end, Oscar Smith's end, coaches, admin...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT