ADVERTISEMENT

MaxPreps Rankings as of 9/27

I do not take much stock in these rankings. I assume it is all formula driven and not "eye test". Obviously KW is way better than 12th.

KW still too low. Union in top 10 over Martinsville?
On KW still too low - maybe. Time will tell. Ahead of who(m)? There are six unbeaten squads in front of them, each of which has done nothing to be dropped entering this past week.

King William is a little further ahead of my personal expectations for them entering the season, given they graduated so much, especially studs in Claiborne and Robinson. I would caution this is not the 2021 team. Just look at the Caroline results as evidence - 65-6 last year compared to 10-6 this season. The Norcom game should be a really telling one. Norcom got spanked in its opener by Lake Taylor before winning four in a row with three shutouts, then hung with Class 5 heavyweight Maury for a good chunk of that game. Definitely a challenge for the reigning Class 2 State Champs.

Martinsville's 14-0 win over GW-Danville will likely thrust them from the Honorable Mention spot to the Top 10 next week. Bobby Martin has done very nice job with them and can easily see eight regular season wins for them at least. Would circle the October 14 game with Magna Vista and November 4 regular season finale against Bassett as ones to watch...

On Union - folks last week were clamoring for them to be higher, before they blew a 16-point lead in a close loss to Mountain 7 District rival Gate City, which was very unexpected to me. Part of me wonders if that was a hangover effect / fatigue from playing Graham the week before, even though they got out to the double-digit advantage early.

As of a couple weeks ago though, that was a Bears team consistently rushing for 300+ yards... so I'm not counting them out. Very big district battles with unbeaten Ridgeview and Abingdon in October.

Reactions: Ech8014
This year's KW team is lead by their defense. They've only allowed 3 defensive TDs in 5 games, two of those in the Essex game. They lead the Essex game for all but the last minute and 25 seconds. Last year's team was a generational team, but I do think this year's defense is even better. Offensively they're more of a blue collar approach and use multiple backs. The next two weeks against Norcom and Lafayette will be physical games, but I think their defense keeps them in both. I still say they're the favorite in Region A and have a very good chance of getting back to Salem. But lots of football left to be played and anything can happen

Martinsville doesn't need to be ranked in the top 10. They're 5-0 but obviously they can't be that good, they're Martinsville. So leave them out of the top 10, let them toil in anonymity, they'll be just fine.

12th is a little low in my opinion but maybe where KW deserves to be. The Games as of recent minus Essex have been close because their best athlete is serving a 3 or 4 game suspension. If he’s able to play later this season they’ll have a lot more potent offense and can make a deep run in the playoffs. If he’s not able to play and booted off the team then KW will more then likely make an early exit in the playoffs this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT