ADVERTISEMENT

Maxpreps ratings

Not a slight at Salem, they are the 4a champs because they were the best, just doesn't seem to make sense. And the one that makes even less sense to me is the team 2nd at 6-5. I dont care how talented you are or what classification you are, record has to mean something for rankings. Maybe they would beat every team in state? But barely being .500 you shouldn't be ranked that high.

But I dont put much stock into rankings. It seems like from what @1MoreHokie posted that it goes by computers and margin of victory, which certainly doesn't tell the story.

Salem won by 21 points, they didn't beat Louisa by 21 points. Before any Salem fans get upset, from the parts of game I saw, Salem was better and would have won. But Louisa was few inches from getting a 1st and possibly taking the lead late in game. Salem would have scored after that, thus still winning, but after the 4th down stop (which looked like a good spot to me), things spiraled out of control, leading to a 21 point victory as opposed to a 6 point victory

Reactions: Louisadad
Its all speculation and algorithms... Salem got what they came for though. The VHSL class 4 hardware is all that really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Maxpreps is fun to read, but it's not an accurate evaluation of the true strength of a team. In general, it's good at pointing out a group of teams that are of similar statute. But mathematical formulas only tell part of the story. You have to keep it in perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT