ADVERTISEMENT

May scores

George Mason 10 Rappahannock County 0

Lee 9 Luray 1
(Lee finally gave up a goal; for what that's worth.)

Richlands 2-1 Marion
Grayson Co. 6-3 Fort Chiswell
George Washington 3-1 Martinsville
Dan River 8-0 AltaVista
Central 2-1 Gate City

I realize it's still a few weeks out but since "the conference's" are no more does anyone know how the regional tournament will be ran and locations? I assume they will rank based on the points system they use for everything else now. Looks like one of the JR/Carroll games is cancelled due to weather events and time limits to get all games in, no chance of bonus points for that one. Currently at 5-3 with 2 losses to 3A LB and a home opener loss to Nelson (Nelsons only loss has been to JR @ Nelson). Giles at home tomorrow, looks to be the hottest day of the year so far, it should be a good indicator of where we stand since Giles is 10-0 and their defense has only allowed 5 goals in all games.

I've come to understand that Region C will be ranked based on regular season points. All games will be at higher seed except semi and finals. These are at Martinsville (final is for sure). Region play starts (can start) the 23rd. I'm guessing the other Regions are similar.
Early points have it as Giles, Nelson, Mville, and JR (with Dan River right behind) in ranking, but it is too early to read much into that.
Region D is going to end up a mix of Graham, VA high, Richlands, Lebanon, and Central. Not idea on actual points.

I've come to understand that Region C will be ranked based on regular season points. All games will be at higher seed except semi and finals. These are at Martinsville (final is for sure). Region play starts (can start) the 23rd. I'm guessing the other Regions are similar.
Early points have it as Giles, Nelson, Mville, and JR (with Dan River right behind) in ranking, but it is too early to read much into that.
Region D is going to end up a mix of Graham, VA high, Richlands, Lebanon, and Central. Not idea on actual points.

Thanks for the input

Way more Wednesday games than usual.
Radford 6-1 Floyd
Appomattox 7-0 AltaVista
Dan River 6-0 Chatham
Nelson 9-0 Galileo: Pretty sure Nelson has this district won, but two losses in these last three could change that.
Abingdon 4-0 Central
Goochland 8-0 Cumberland
Nandua 3-2 Northampton: Nandua's closest game of the season.

Reactions: EdJoyce
Way more Wednesday games than usual.
Radford 6-1 Floyd
Appomattox 7-0 AltaVista
Dan River 6-0 Chatham
Nelson 9-0 Galileo: Pretty sure Nelson has this district won, but two losses in these last three could change that.
Abingdon 4-0 Central
Goochland 8-0 Cumberland
Nandua 3-2 Northampton: Nandua's closest game of the season.
Northhampton is 1A, but they're holding their own against the larger schools. They'll do well in their regional tournament.

Giles up 1-0 midway at JR, goal came under 2 min mark

3-0 final

Last edited:
Made it out to Buchanon for that one. James River is a very talented team, but not a pack the box kind of team. I think if they had opened up and really attacked that would have been a much better game.
Alleghany 3-3 Glenvar:
Stuarts Draft 2-3 Jackson (1A)
Graham 4-0 Tazewell
R E Lee 4-0 Wilson Memorial
Goochland 7-0 Lunenburg Central

Note: There are quite a few undefeated teams out there this season. Many of them are letting in less that 6-7 goals total all season, and all of them are 10 or more games in now. Interesting...

Regarding the Lee game:

"Lee High boys soccer beat Wilson Memorial 4-0. Isaiah Knopp, Carter Koehn, Caleb King, and Thomas Otteni all scored goals. Kyle Stenzel and Carson Murray had two assists each. Cullen Wallace had two saves for the Leemen."

Basically the goals come from everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: CallMeCoach19
TWO SAVES! You have to be kidding me! Against what is probably one of the two better teams they face regular season.
As for the other stats, that is exactly how you should want it at this point in season.

Made it out to Buchanon for that one. James River is a very talented team, but not a pack the box kind of team. I think if they had opened up and really attacked that would have been a much better game.
Alleghany 3-3 Glenvar:
Stuarts Draft 2-3 Jackson (1A)
Graham 4-0 Tazewell
R E Lee 4-0 Wilson Memorial
Goochland 7-0 Lunenburg Central

Note: There are quite a few undefeated teams out there this season. Many of them are letting in less that 6-7 goals total all season, and all of them are 10 or more games in now. Interesting...

JR most definitely didn't bring there "A" game. playing a team like Giles you gotta want it and they didn't want it last night. They are better than they played last night. Giles is very talented, deep and attack with a variety of players. JR's coach on the other hand, IMO, doesn't use some of his to there best potential and lack's depth as well. I didn't keep track of Giles but I expect less than half the team played the full 80 minutes. JR kids on the other hand have 8-9 that never get a break although they probably could be subbed for briefly. Few calls that probably should have been made but no cards came out (i don't think) which is unusual when these two play. Rematch next week should be good. I'm hoping we come to play.

JR most definitely didn't bring there "A" game. playing a team like Giles you gotta want it and they didn't want it last night. They are better than they played last night. Giles is very talented, deep and attack with a variety of players. JR's coach on the other hand, IMO, doesn't use some of his to there best potential and lack's depth as well. I didn't keep track of Giles but I expect less than half the team played the full 80 minutes. JR kids on the other hand have 8-9 that never get a break although they probably could be subbed for briefly. Few calls that probably should have been made but no cards came out (i don't think) which is unusual when these two play. Rematch next week should be good. I'm hoping we come to play.

It will be a good one. I thought the officiating let WAY to much go. Had a card been pulled on both sides early on for any number of plays, there would probably be some kids not nearly as sore today. LOL As for players, I have always liked that coach, but I agree. Too defensive is just as bad as being spread too thin.
Hoping JR beats Radford again as well, and next week is for that district crown.

It will be a good one. I thought the officiating let WAY to much go. Had a card been pulled on both sides early on for any number of plays, there would probably be some kids not nearly as sore today. LOL As for players, I have always liked that coach, but I agree. Too defensive is just as bad as being spread too thin.
Hoping JR beats Radford again as well, and next week is for that district crown.

I have to agree with this on so many levels

Big stats there. Here are a few others.
Galax 4-1 Graham: Region D appears to be as soft as a kitty cat's belly this season.
Martinsville 3-0 Magna Vista (3A)
Giles 14-0 Narrows: JR this Friday will be Giles' last real test before playoffs.
Blacksburg 5-0 Radford: Yes, not a good score, but a marked improvement from the first game.
Nelson 9-0 AltaVista
Dan River 1-1 Appomattox
Nandua 3-1 Warwick (5A)
Maggie Walker 4-0 Thomas Jefferson (3A)

Auburn (1A) 5-0 Grayson Co.: This is my sleeper team in 1A. Now that the finishing is there, it should be a good match with Galax.
Glenvar 0-0 Floyd
Giles 9-0 Carroll County (4A)
Bruton 3-1 Lancaster (1A)
Nelson 3-0 Appomattox: Now the dogwood is wrapped up I believe
Goochland 6-2 Bluestone
Abingdon (3A) 4-2 VA High
Gate City 2-0 Honaker

Floyd 2-2 Auburn
Martinsville 6-2 Halifax County: Martinsville is still in position for the 2 spot in region and a chance at 1 with help.
Lee 8-0 Riverheads
Graham 4-1 Richlands:
Lebanon 2-1 Marion

So looking ahead in Region C it looks like Giles will have the #1 even if JR does pull it off Friday night, Nelson and Martinsville will be the 2 and 3 with a possible tie in points (if numbers are correct). JR and Radford will battle it out for the 4 and 5 and the 6-8 will come from the rest. Don't see any upsets in the first round but the semis should be really good games as will the finals. JR's last game will be the 21st, I think most everyone else will finish this week or middle of next. Not having a week off may work to their advantage except our graduation is 22nd with a possible playoff game on the 23rd :( hoping that doesn't happen. Havn't heard when first round will be just know it can start on that date.

I think Dan River is still in the 4/5/6 race (More a 5/6 with Radford), but I honestly haven't tracked down every point.

I think Dan River is still in the 4/5/6 race (More a 5/6 with Radford), but I honestly haven't tracked down every point.

I was just basing it on the VHSL website for points and games remaining for each. Gotta take them one at a time when tournament starts, but I would rather be a 6 than a 4/5 when it does start.

JR at Radford Cats up 5-0. @ half

No ball boys/girls and no concessions, real hospitality!

6-0 final including 4 yellow cards, JR wins that battle 3-1, officiating good for 2 goals also.

Last edited:
WOW, that is an unexpected result. Bad timing for it to happen to the Knights. Maybe they will get another crack at Radford in a couple of weeks.
Giles 5-0 Glenvar: Saw on Facebook that some JV kids came up for this game. Smart move by the coaching staff.
R.E. Lee 6-0 Stonewall Jackson
Martinsville 3-2 Franklin Co.: End of regular season for the bulldogs. That may actually move them into second in Region C with a little luck.
Richlands 2-1 VA High

WOW, that is an unexpected result. Bad timing for it to happen to the Knights. Maybe they will get another crack at Radford in a couple of weeks.
Giles 5-0 Glenvar: Saw on Facebook that some JV kids came up for this game. Smart move by the coaching staff.
R.E. Lee 6-0 Stonewall Jackson
Martinsville 3-2 Franklin Co.: End of regular season for the bulldogs. That may actually move them into second in Region C with a little luck.
Richlands 2-1 VA High

Radford was ready to play, JR not so much and honestly I don't know what JR's coach is thinking this year. One of the key players and scorers has been bothered by an ankle and now a knee sprain, so he brings his best defender to the front to try and make up for it, if you can't stop the other team from scoring your not likely to win. Earlier games when the young man had to sit a he pulled an outside defender up to midfield who plays midfield quite well, past 2 games he's tried something different. It's nearing playoff time and he still hasn't figured what positions some kids are best suited for. JR may be a one and done when the tournament starts if they can't get it consistent in the next week. Same team shows up at Giles tonight it will likely get out of hand early.

George Mason 7 Madison County 0
Clarke County 2 Central Woodstock 0

Mason clinches 1st place in the Bull Run District and Clarke clinches 2nd place.

Last edited:
Giles 5-0 JR: should wrap up district and secure 1 seed for region c.
Graham 5-0 Lebanon
Nelson mercy ruled Chatham
Dan River 5-2 Altavista

My mistake DR is definitely in the middle race, looking like JR more like a 6 now, hope it stays that way, that should keep you away from the Giles bracket side if I'm thinking about this correct.

Martinsville, Giles, jr, and Radford all win last night. Got to get a free moment to check the other areas later.

My assumption is that the district tournaments do not play into the regular season standings heading into the regional tournaments. If so, are there teams still finishing out their respective regular seasons? The Dogwood started their tournament last evening, Appo defeated Galielo 11-2 and will travel to Dan River on Wednesday.

My assumption is that the district tournaments do not play into the regular season standings heading into the regional tournaments. If so, are there teams still finishing out their respective regular seasons? The Dogwood started their tournament last evening, Appo defeated Galielo 11-2 and will travel to Dan River on Wednesday.
The final games in the Bull Run district are tonight -- and probably won't be played due to the weather. As far as I can tell, Shenandoah District final games were scheduled for last night but were cancelled. Tournament play is next week.

Three Rivers will have no district tournament and some teams won't finish regular season play till next week, weather permitting.

George Mason 4 Clarke County 0
Finishes district play 10-0-0, outscoring its Bull Run opponents 91-0

Staunton R.E. Lee 3 Stuart's Draft 1
Lee finishes district play 16-0-0, outscoring its Shenandoah opponents 122-2

Not much being played around the area out West either. I think a lot of schools are trying to make things up tonight with many wanting Thurs/Fri clear for graduations.
Va High 8-0 Lebanon
Bruton 2-1 Arcadia

I'm just excited for Region brackets to go up.

George Mason 4 Clarke County 0
Finishes district play 10-0-0, outscoring its Bull Run opponents 91-0

Staunton R.E. Lee 3 Stuart's Draft 1
Lee finishes district play 16-0-0, outscoring its Shenandoah opponents 122-2
There's been a change to the score on the Shenandoah District Website. The new score is:

R.E. Lee 1 Stuart's Draft 0

Not sure what happened. Does anyone know?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT