ADVERTISEMENT

May we all remember...,

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
May we pause over the next few days to evaluate our personal situations, and be thankful.

It's all relative. Here is an example using a few of us.

Let's start with DSH, bright, handsome, healthy, a graduate student working at Varina and doing what he dreamed of doing, making a difference in young lives. I'm sure he worries that he is not doing enough. And I know he is always concerned about his Marine veteran dad. But, he will agree, he doesn't have to look far to be reminded how fortunate he is.

Next, the guys like Bleeding Navy and myself. Years of working hard, and playing harder have left us with varying degrees of daily pain. Both of us have a hungry Orthopedic Surgeon smiling in anticipation. But, our hard work has put us in a position to have the time to enjoy our families, to be able to get away from work enough to do the things that we love. We are blessed, even if it's with the help of Tylenol.

Now we go on to Mike. MS has a pretty good hold on him. Mike is basically stuck in his hot rod chair all day. One hand doesn't do him much good anymore. His legs don't give him any support these days, figuratively and literally. And I know that Mike hates being so dependent on others to help him. But Mike is thankful for many things. He is still of sound mind, perhaps even sharper than he ever was, he does have one "decent hand that permits him to communicate and stay in touch with his network of friends and drive that chair He has a ton of family and friends that love and support him. He is still able to get out to support his beloved Spartans, albeit with significant difficulty. Mike has told me many times that he doesn't understand why the Good Lord chose him to be stricken with this dreaded disease, but he is thankful for the opportunity to lead by example and to give others hope from the way he deals with life's tribulations.

Others, which will remain nameless, are dealing with situations that would have any of us bitter and angry, and blaming God. But, to a person, they have told me several times how blessed they are. Blessed with family and friends that help and support them, blessed with hope that things will improve, blessed with quality health care providers that truly care. Sometimes it's as simple as being thankful for the time they had with family and friends before they they passed away.

It's ALWAYS worse for someone else. ALWAYS. If you want to feel better, if you want to be feel thankful for something, for anything? It's easy. Just do something nice for someone. Not just someone that appears to be down on their luck. Do something nice for somebody that may appear to be happy and on top of the world. Everybody needs and appreciates kindness.

Look around folks when you are having a bad day. You immediately realize how lucky you are.

Last edited:
May we pause over the next few days to evaluate our personal situations, and be thankful.

It's all relative. Here is an example using a few of us.

Let's start with DSH, bright, handsome, healthy, a graduate student working at Varina and doing what he dreamed of doing, making a difference in young lives. I'm sure he worries that he is not doing enough. And I know he is always concerned about his Marine veteran dad. But, he will agree, he doesn't have to look far to be reminded how fortunate he is.

Next, the guys like Bleeding Navy and myself. Years of working hard, and playing harder have left us with varying degrees of daily pain. Both of us have a hungry Orthopedic Surgeon smiling in anticipation. But, our hard work has put us in a position to have the time to enjoy our families, to be able to get away from work enough to do the things that we love. We are blessed, even if it's with the help of Tylenol.

Now we go on to Mike. MS has a pretty good hold on him. Mike is basically stuck in his hot rod chair all day. One hand doesn't do him much good anymore. His legs don't give him any support these days, figuratively and literally. And I know that Mike hates being so dependent on others to help him. But Mike is thankful for many things. He is still of sound mind, perhaps even sharper than he ever was, he does have one "decent hand that permits him to communicate and stay in touch with his network of friends and drive that chair He has a ton of family and friends that love and support him. He is still able to get out to support his beloved Spartans, albeit with significant difficulty. Mike has told me many times that he doesn't understand why the Good Lord chose him to be stricken with this dreaded disease, but he is thankful for the opportunity to lead by example and to give others hope from the way he deals with life's tribulations.

Others, which will remain nameless, are dealing with situations that would have any of us bitter and angry, and blaming God. But, to a person, they have told me several times how blessed they are. Blessed with family and friends that help and support them, blessed with hope that things will improve, blessed with quality health care providers that truly care. Sometimes it's as simple as being thankful for the time they had with family and friends before they they passed away.

It's ALWAYS worse for someone else. ALWAYS. If you want to feel better, if you want to be feel thankful for something, for anything? It's easy. Just do something nice for someone. Not just someone that appears to be down on their luck. Do something nice for somebody that may appear to be happy and on top of the world. Everybody needs and appreciates kindness.

Look around folks when you are having a bad day. You immediately realize how lucky you are.

WHOA!!!! I just posted on DSH's post something eerily similar...sounds like old wiseman, sage advice! LOL!
DP, you and BN are absolute class act gentlemen. The Navy Nation is extremely fortunate to have you two in their corner.
My best wishes to each and everyone of my VAPREPS family....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT