ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe none bigger for Salem since 1996

1MoreHokie

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2005
1996 was a validation of White's work after so many years of falling short but this year was a validation of this program in the new system and really, a validation of the West period. People will probably still favor the East late in the year and they're free to do so but this win and the win by MV over Phoebus show that the West can hang and that Salem is going nowhere just because things got tougher.

4 of the last 5 teams Salem played all came into the game with a 0 in the loss column. Salem earned this one and then some. Damn proud of those kids.

1996 was a validation of White's work after so many years of falling short but this year was a validation of this program in the new system and really, a validation of the West period. People will probably still favor the East late in the year and they're free to do so but this win and the win by MV over Phoebus show that the West can hang and that Salem is going nowhere just because things got tougher.

4 of the last 5 teams Salem played all came into the game with a 0 in the loss column. Salem earned this one and then some. Damn proud of those kids.

Good points. And all but one playoff game away from Salem Stadium. The Spartans never trailed in the postseason, against three pretty damn good teams.

Kind of amused how people picking against Salem never picked up on how good the D was or that there wasn't anything flukey to their play(last year was more the schedule than the players). They gave up 7, 7, 21, and 14 points in the playoffs and JF averaged 52ppg coming in and LT 47 ppg and those teams did nothing even remotely close to what they were used to on a weekly basis. Navy Jones and Daz Palmer, 4,400 yards and close to 50 TDs between them, combined for 36 carries for 170 yards and 1 TD against Salem's D.

I and others said quite simply that they're not as prone to mistakes, they tackle better than last year, and the secondary wasn't a liability anymore and youth or not(6 sophomore starters), they were clearly a level above last year where they had to outrace some teams in the playoffs before it fell apart against a superior LT O. To me how far Salem was going this year was always on the D and I think about midway through the season you could see that things were trending in that direction and they kinda just never looked back. The O did their part to be sure but they could have gotten away with far less since the D was so stingy.

Salem defense best in state! Maybe best Salem defense ever? Yes some Salem defenses allowed fewer points but not against this competition.

I really think this was the biggest statement game ever for the Spartans. They were undeniably the best AA program in the state year in and year out before realignment. Then Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor drop down and have these juggernaut teams. The conventional wisdom was that it would take years before the west caught up. I think this win, especially after the game last year, proves something to the entire state, and more importantly to the entire Salem community. This is the second time in three years since realignment that no 757 team won a title. Anyone remember before the first season when they were claiming the southeast would win all six?

I consider this win by Salem as the final blow in the Southeast superiority myth. They're just another area of the state with football that's no better than anywhere else. Yes, they tend to have a few powerhouses that dominate, but that seems to be more a function of the fact that there is no parity down there than that the average football team, coach, or player is any better than in Mountains, or the Piedmont or DC.

I am not saying here that Lake Taylor isn't a great team, or Oscar Smith, or Ocean Lakes. I'm just saying that it's time for everyone to admit that there is no region of the state that's guaranteed a title in any class. We play good football EVERYWHERE in Virginia.

I can buy this to some degree, but let's let things play out a while. Va is really concentrated in Roanoke/Lynchburg area, NoVa, Richmond and 757 for football. Rest of the state not much which football is a numbers game.

Last edited:
Best play of the game! ...........the naked bootleg. Lol I was talking to some coaches from some other teams last night. and they said it was the perfect call , when you are playing a team that over commits and relies on athleticism rather than always on assignment. I consider Salems victory the ultimate example of better coached team beating the supposedly " better athletes" . Congratulations! Salem .

Best play of the game! ...........the naked bootleg. Lol I was talking to some coaches from some other teams last night. and they said it was the perfect call , when you are playing a team that over commits and relies on athleticism rather than always on assignment. I consider Salems victory the ultimate example of better coached team beating the supposedly " better athletes" . Congratulations! Salem .
Lake Taylor is a well coached team AND Salem has athletes ------Salem defense played a great game and made Lake Taylor eat up time making long drives---this had the effect of shortening the game====therefore the low score

For me, it's a toss-up between 1998 and 2005 for the biggest win. 1996 was more about getting over the hump and winning a state championship after falling short since first contending in 1986. 1998 put a stamp on Salem as a state level powerhouse with a win over an incredible Lafayette team to cap an undefeated season.

The 2005 win is great for a number of reasons and validates the program on other levels. There's winning a state championship outside of the "dynasty" era of 1996-2005, 4A feels like a half-notch above AA-4, and beating a power from the 757. (Though, I think the 1998 Lafayette team would've contended against the other 757 teams that year.)

Isn't it great for Salem fans that we can have a conversation over which was the best win in school history and have a whole bunch to choose from. I think the best way to look at it is that the Tradition and Dynasty rolls on with another great win to be added to a long list.

I'm not with you on this. I think Lake Taylor is expertly coached. They use their kids to maximum advantage. There's more than one way to play a football game.

Reactions: one man
It was a brilliant play design... I have never seen Salem run that before in my life. They actually faked the counter, which is a play they had success with last year and early in the game this year.

I've been waiting on them to use that all year, it's been open with each team multiple times. The backup QB is #5 Nick Wade and he ran it twice, both times it was a gain of 70+ yds.

I've been waiting on them to use that all year, it's been open with each team multiple times. The backup QB is #5 Nick Wade and he ran it twice, both times it was a gain of 70+ yds.
Coach White and Mag both agree on not using the QB for designed runs. As White told me a few weeks ago, "you put too much time and effort into getting your quarterback prepared to risk hurting him on a designed run."

Coach White and Mag both agree on not using the QB for designed runs. As White told me a few weeks ago, "you put too much time and effort into getting your quarterback prepared to risk hurting him on a designed run."

They used it beautifully against John Champe in the state quarterfinal game

timing is everything-----saved that bootleg for the playoffs-----no reason to show it during regular season when your up five touchdowns and can run off tackle for touchdowns at will. Willis used it in the playoffs also---just not in the regular season

Yea, I seem to recall the bootleg getting Salem out of some jams under Willis. It's basically Salem's default "trick" play and has been for decades. I mean if the QB is slow you won't see it all year but I have a sneaking suspicion you'll see Beckley run that a few times next year, too.

It's fun to laugh about the good side of never running a play until you need it because that game just about ended under the same circumstances with that reverse.

I would love to see a picture of the field on that reverse-----if they had completed the hand off was there room to run?

I would love to see a picture of the field on that reverse-----if they had completed the hand off was there room to run?
No, the backside guy for LT did a good job of containing. Tucker would have had to make a few players miss for it to have a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT