ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe we should talk Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

shauntclair

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Saw Rod put the stop sign up again. I think he's just sick of us in general so here's what I see.

Four excellent teams that have all earned their way with hard fought victories. Once again proving the cream does rise to the top in the end, despite all the complaints about the VHSL and the bemoaning of Regional decisions. And I am sick to death of hearing about cement bleachers, porta-potties or what time the games will be played. Can we please be done with the trivial persuits?

In the West, we have two outstanding but very different squads. JF seems virtually unstoppable on offense. I've seen two games against quality opponents now and it's like watching Penn and Teller. A virtual magic show of misdirection and speed. I have extolled how the defense will eventually betray them and Woodgrove scored more than enough to win Friday's game but JF came away with the victory anyway. What continues to get me here is something I have never seen before. On every JF TD, the man went untouched to the end zone. Amazing.
Then you have Salem. Solid as a rock in every way. Offense, defense, Special teams. Very few mistakes. What I see most in them is a simple but incredibly balanced offense. They are very dissimilar to almost all 4A teams as an offense in that they run a 60's and 70's NFL playbook. They would like to run the ball but short passing plays, play action and screen passes are something they run all the time. Simple, effective, well executed, little danger of error. Extreme balance. Extremely effective. Very difficult to defend for teams not used to this kind of diversity.
So who wins? Salem won't stop JF. No one can. Yes folks, IMO, not even LT. But JF can't stop Salem either. Somewhere along the line, one of these two will make a mistake. Defense, offense or special teams. That will be the difference. I thought Woodgrove was good enough to find SOME way to stop JF enough to win. They were really good but were grasping at air all game. Perhaps Salem can get some bounces their way and pull this out. They are definitely good enough but I have it:

JF 49 - Salem 42

More to come but Pop's needs dinner and a Depends change. Give me a couple of hours. In the meantime, please behave and I promise to wash my hands before the next revision of this post.

Hands washed. Dinner done. Pop's is comfy. Hope he sleeps tonight......for a change.

Now we have Lake Taylor and Courtland. Again, very different teams. LT runs the Veer but definitely passes as well. With those WR's and QB, I would too. Their defense reminds me of the Bears 46 defense. They're coming on every play with as much pressure as they can apply. With the DB's they have, a few pressure ducks are all they need to create points. IMO, this is their strength. They gave up only 92 points during the regular season and more than half of those came in two games. Not that their offense is anything to be sneezed at. The offensive line is excellent. The RB is outstanding. The QB is young and going on College level already. Almost impossible to stop on both sides of the ball. They have proven a tendency to put in a less than stellar effort at times but have also showed the "turbo" button is available when needed. If they come in with both barrels, it's hard to see them losing this game.
Courtland is very different. They want to run you into the ground and impose their will. With the RB's and the OLine they have, the Cougars have done that most of the year. Since the debacle at KG, they have yielded 12 points in 4 games. No one has scored so many against the undefeated Lafayette squad, nor has anyone held the Rams to so few. As some of the Ram's fans said, "we have not played anyone close to Courtland all year". That may be true in the BRD but this isn't LT either. The Cougars will want to run the ball and will continue to try all night. They have some outstanding RBs and a very good OLine. The Defense is also quite good against the run and they do have the personnel to stay with the Titan WR's. Cover two zone can be very disconcerting to QB's used to man to man coverage. The Cougars will fight and are playin their best Football of the year. They are as good as anyone in 4A but I see this pretty close for awhile with LT running away when they force the Cougars into passing situations. Forcing Courtland to pass is candy to a baby for Lake Taylor. The talent there is just too much.

LT 35 - CT 21

Please remember. All these teams earned their way. They're all very, very good. Every one of them has a good chance at the State Championship. GL to them all and outstanding seasons each.

One more thing. I'm old and this is the way it worked when I was younger. If you talked trash, you got punched in the mouth. That was the street. In a game, the ref would remind you to keep your mouth shut and "play on". Even in College, I had a kid that would continually try to harass me by jumping up, waving his arms and talking crap when I tried to put the ball down field as a goalie. I got sick of it eventually and put my hardest throw right in his nose from about 8 feet. Broke his snoze and out of the game (for him). Play on. No one harassed the goalie after. Ah, the good old days.

Last edited:
Saw Rod put the stop sign up again. I think he's just sick of us in general so here's what I see.

Four excellent teams that have all earned their way with hard fought victories. Once again proving the cream does rise to the top in the end, despite all the complaints about the VHSL and the bemoaning of Regional decisions. And I am sick to death of hearing about cement bleachers, porta-potties or what time the games will be played. Can we please be done with the trivial persuits?

In the West, we have two outstanding but very different squads. JF seems virtually unstoppable on offense. I've seen two games against quality opponents now and it's like watching Penn and Teller. A virtual magic show of misdirection and speed. I have extolled how the defense will eventually betray them and Woodgrove scored more than enough to win Friday's game but JF came away with the victory anyway. What continues to get me here is something I have never seen before. On every JF TD, the man went untouched to the end zone. Amazing.
Then you have Salem. Solid as a rock in every way. Offense, defense, Special teams. Very few mistakes. What I see most in them is a simple but incredibly balanced offense. They are very dissimilar to almost all 4A teams as an offense in that they run a 60's and 70's NFL playbook. They would like to run the ball but short passing plays, play action and screen passes are something they run all the time. Simple, effective, well executed, little danger of error. Extreme balance. Extremely effective. Very difficult to defend for teams not used to this kind of diversity.
So who wins? Salem won't stop JF. No one can. Yes folks, IMO, not even LT. But JF can't stop Salem either. Somewhere along the line, one of these two will make a mistake. Defense, offense or special teams. That will be the difference. I thought Woodgrove was good enough to find SOME way to stop JF enough to win. They were really good but were grasping at air all game. Perhaps Salem can get some bounces their way and pull this out. They are definitely good enough but I have it:

JF 49 - Salem 42

More to come but Pop's needs dinner and a Depends change. Give me a couple of hours. In the meantime, please behave and I promise to wash my hands before the next revision of this post.
I think basketball season needs to hurry up everything is a repeat on here now hahaha

JF 49 - Salem 42

Sorry Shauntair but bathroom talk is important to women folk. Anyway I agree with you. I was at the JF game on Friday and there were several drives for JF that they were left a wide open field. Woodgrove was on one side of the field and didn't if know who had the ball until the player was GONE. They have too much speed

Sal

JF 49 - Salem 42

Salem 49-31...I have to go with Salem in this game.

Glad people are finally recognizing that it's not just jones with the speed.

Uh oh shaunty, you picked salem to lose. Obviously you are a salem hater! I picked salem to lose 55 - 35 and I was labeled as a salem hater, lol

Uh oh shaunty, you picked salem to lose. Obviously you are a salem hater! I picked salem to lose 55 - 35 and I was labeled as a salem hater, lol
I had reasons for picking Salem to lose last week but few had to do with Football. That was more fun. I certainly do not hate Salem. I really admire their program and their Coach.

I do, however, pick Salem to lose this week to JF. Football reasons only. Of course, I could be as wrong as last week's frivolity. The game is played on the field.

Last time I watched JF play, Logan Thomas was at QB for Brookville. I not care to see them again because of the offense they run. The wishbone is a 1960s offense.

Both 4A semis should be great games. Haven't seen LT or Courtland in person this year but, from reading about both programs it should be a very entertaining contest. JF and Salem will be just as entertaining. I saw the JF/Salem benefit game which was enjoyable but, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that first meeting. Both staffs expected to see the other again and didn't tip their hands much at all. In fact, they may have even attempted a little disinformation on both sides. This time they lace it up for real and neither will hold anything back. IMO, it comes down to strength versus strength. The JF offense versus the Salem defense. Note this isn't to say the other respective units are not solid, just that I think the game boils down primarily to that battle. The pressure will be on the Salem DE's and outside personnel(LB's and DB's) to set the edge. Let Jones or Trent Miller outside and that will not end well for the Spartans. The Cavs will have to throw it a few more times and much more effectively than they did in the benefit game to loosen it up for their running game. Good luck to both teams. Either squad has a better chance this year to challenge the East representative than in years past. Just my opinion.

Reactions: RKE Fan
I watched Union and Appomattox Saturday. One of best games I have seen this season. score was 27-21 in OT, but both teams threw the ball a lot. That is better than a team running ball 45 times a game regardless of how many points they score.

So
I watched Union and Appomattox Saturday. One of best games I have seen this season. score was 27-21 in OT, but both teams threw the ball a lot. That is better than a team running ball 45 times a game regardless of how many points they score.
So number of TD's is not exciting? Both Woodgrove and JF scored more than either of these teams. JF alone, more than both Union and Appomatox combined. Your standards seem a little low in comparison. Just saying.

I would not give 2 cents to watch a team like JF. I hate teams that run ball 45 times a game. (Giles is an exception)

Reactions: OCBoy
I would not give 2 cents to watch a team like JF. I hate teams that run ball 45 times a game. (Giles is an exception)
Those offenses that actually require great coaching schemes instead of just really good athletes and a QB that can sling it must not be appealing to you I guess haha

Yall ignore this fool. Anytime he sees anybody talking about a running team, he comes to let the world know how much he hates running teams and likes spread offense. One of the most annoying posters on the board IMO. Brings nothing to the table but his personal preference of style of offense. As much as he talks about spread offense, you would think he'd be coaching Gretna to their next state championship by now, running the ball once every 3 years. Get a grip HR6 and stop trolling pages with that "i hate running teams" non sense. You don't like it, fine, we heard you the last 47,000 times you've mentioned it. I'm trying to read about these football games and the whole thread has turned into posters replying to your non sense. Keep that mess in Gretna. Sorry in advance Rod.

JF 49 - Salem 42

Hands washed. Dinner done. Pop's is comfy. Hope he sleeps tonight......for a change.

Now we have Lake Taylor and Courtland. Again, very different teams. LT runs the Veer but definitely passes as well. With those WR's and QB, I would too. Their defense reminds me of the Bears 46 defense. They're coming on every play with as much pressure as they can apply. With the DB's they have, a few pressure ducks are all they need to create points. IMO, this is their strength. They gave up only 92 points during the regular season and more than half of those came in two games. Not that their offense is anything to be sneezed at. The offensive line is excellent. The RB is outstanding. The QB is young and going on College level already. Almost impossible to stop on both sides of the ball. They have proven a tendency to put in a less than stellar effort at times but have also showed the "turbo" button is available when needed. If they come in with both barrels, it's hard to see them losing this game.
Courtland is very different. They want to run you into the ground and impose their will. With the RB's and the OLine they have, the Cougars have done that most of the year. Since the debacle at KG, they have yielded 12 points in 4 games. No one has scored so many against the undefeated Lafayette squad, nor has anyone held the Rams to so few. As some of the Ram's fans said, "we have not played anyone close to Courtland all year". That may be true in the BRD but this isn't LT either. The Cougars will want to run the ball and will continue to try all night. They have some outstanding RBs and a very good OLine. The Defense is also quite good against the run and they do have the personnel to stay with the Titan WR's. Cover two zone can be very disconcerting to QB's used to man to man coverage. The Cougars will fight and are playin their best Football of the year. They are as good as anyone in 4A but I see this pretty close for awhile with LT running away when they force the Cougars into passing situations. Forcing Courtland to pass is candy to a baby for Lake Taylor. The talent there is just too much.

LT 35 - CT 21

Please remember. All these teams earned their way. They're all very, very good. Every one of them has a good chance at the State Championship. GL to them all and outstanding seasons each.

One more thing. I'm old and this is the way it worked when I was younger. If you talked trash, you got punched in the mouth. That was the street. In a game, the ref would remind you to keep your mouth shut and "play on". Even in College, I had a kid that would continually try to harass me by jumping up, waving his arms and talking crap when I tried to put the ball down field as a goalie. I got sick of it eventually and put my hardest throw right in his nose from about 8 feet. Broke his snoze and out of the game (for him). Play on. No one harassed the goalie after. Ah, the good old days.

I like what you've got here Shaunty. Good solid explanation, I even like the score predictions. Salem-JF winner will be whoever has least amount of turnovers or whoever has the ball last. Salem will be the best defense JF has seen but as you suggest, I still can't see Salem stopping them, keeping them in the low 30s will be a success and likely will result in a win. If it gets into the 40s it's anybodys game. Salem will be able to score with them IMO but its going to come down to a turnover at some point.

The Courtland-LT game is very intriguing. Jabari Allen and Nick Grant on the outside are the key here. Those guys ability to win 1v1 against Wahee, Davis, Bruton will determine whether Courtland will have a chance to win or if they'll be another notch under the LT belt. Greene is one of the best RBs in the state but that offense plays right into LTs hands. I've seen LT live and on film and while I think they were slightly better last year (Johnson, Poole, Quinerly being the reason why), they are still the best team left this year and have the best defense left this year.

My mind says LT and Salem are the best two teams but my heart wants to see JF offense against LT defense and how that will go. Either way I'd say we've got the 4 best teams in 4A, regardless of regions and it's going to be fun watching 1 of them come out on top. Good Luck to all.

Isn't is funny that those who like to run ball also have the worst sportsmanship. This is nationwide.

Yall ignore this fool. Anytime he sees anybody talking about a running team, he comes to let the world know how much he hates running teams and likes spread offense. One of the most annoying posters on the board IMO. Brings nothing to the table but his personal preference of style of offense. As much as he talks about spread offense, you would think he'd be coaching Gretna to their next state championship by now, running the ball once every 3 years. Get a grip HR6 and stop trolling pages with that "i hate running teams" non sense. You don't like it, fine, we heard you the last 47,000 times you've mentioned it. I'm trying to read about these football games and the whole thread has turned into posters replying to your non sense. Keep that mess in Gretna. Sorry in advance Rod.
Hamptonroads6 Rules:

*No runs from any team except Giles, it leads to poor sportsmanship.
*Spread offense only except for Giles.
*Teams may not play each other more than once.
*No sporting event should ever be played at the Seigel Ctr.
*On second thought no sporting events in city of Richmond.
*All events should be held at the center of the state LU.
*Games should be played on Friday @7, or Saturday @2, never Saturday @7.
*Bands should never be considered when talking about football and scheduling.

I'm sure there are many more feel free to add to the list, I probably forgot some.

Last edited:
dead_end_street.jpg

Reactions: gwb16
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT