ADVERTISEMENT

MIKE SALEM NEEDS OUR HELP

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Mike gets to go home on Thursday after seven weeks of hospital and rehab care. He wants to go to the game Sat. He needs help.

Mike is confined to a motorized wheel chair. He needs to be transported in a van equipped to accomadate his chair. His regular transport service can not take care of this on Sat.

If anyone can offer a solution, please reach out to Mike via this forum, or contact me by e-mail and I will put you in touch with him. wcook2@verizon.net

Thanks to all, DP

Thanks for posting this DP, I appreciate all your help. I posted to Facebook hoping to find someone with a van, hopefully it will work out.

Will be going to game but I do not have a van. Wish I did-----would love to take you and would enjoy the conversation.

I would enjoy that also south. We'll have to meet sometime so we can talk hs football. Thanks for posting your sentiments.

Have you tried contacting this business in Salem which says it rents accessible minivans? I have no connection to the company and no idea what it would cost. Maybe, under the circumstances, they'd try to work something out.

http://www.mobilityplus.net/

Yeah this place is 2 blocks from my house. I've worked with them before and they seem to be a good company. With Christmas coming up I was hoping to avoid the big expense. Thanks numbers.

Wish I could help but I'm on double canes & can't get
get there either. I get awful tired of falling. I have to
watch Twitter now for scoring. Sucks......

Originally posted by salem football:
Wish I could help but I'm on double canes & can't get
get there either. I get awful tired of falling. I have to
watch Twitter now for scoring. Sucks......
We will be live-blogging the game on this board.

Thanks, 66. I will also, and I know of at least one more offer of help.

Let's wait until Mike gets us a cost, and I will share my e-mail in case someone would want to help anonymously.

DP

Mike, we will get you there, even if we have to load you in the back of a pickup truck and through a tarp over you.

Thanks DP for your help, the local place had their van rented out for the weekend. I'm still looking around. There is a place in Madison Heights that had a van available, but you have to rent for a minimum of 2 days. They're $110 per day plus taxes. The other consideration is mileage, they allow 100 per day, but Madison Heights is probably 60 miles from Salem, so that would cost extra. My dad or brother could probably come pick me up since they're in Lynchburg. I'm going to keep looking tonight and hopefully I can find a cheaper van and work out the logistics. I appreciate everyone's help,it's greatly appreciated.

Now that sounds like an adventure DP! I appreciate all your help sir. On a side note, my therapy went great today. I doubled my standing time from 16 minutes to 32 minutes, which really gives me confidence going home tomorrow.

That's terrific news Mike. And I know how glad you are to finally get to go home. But how long can you stand with your cat draped around your shoulders so loudly you can't hear the TV?

Re: let's help mike

You are a good man, Southbottom.

Mike, have you been able to come up with anything?

For others, Mike is supposed to go home today. Seven long weeks in the hospital and rehab.

Southbottom, I don't think the cost will stop us from helping Mike, several have graciously offered to help with the cost.

Sorry DP I got so preoccupied with being released today and visitors I didn't make much progress on the van front. I'm gonna find one in the morning and let you know the details. A big thanks to all for your help.

Good news to report. Mike has arranged for a van to transport him to the game tomorrow.

I feel like the cost is pretty reasonable, having no experience in these things.

$90 per day, but a two day minimum. Plus taxes. And .22 per mile after the first 100 miles. And I guess he is responsible for the fuel?

If I had to guess, I would think $300 to $350 or so?

I have offered to Mike to call the company and put it on my credit card, to be sure there are no problems for him, and then if anyone decides they want to chip in, I will worry about that. And I say this because a couple of you have already indicated that you wanted to help.

I will post my e-mail if anyone wants to contact me directly. wcook2@verizon.net

I plan to be Liberty shortly before 12;00 tomorrow. If you want to catch up with me there, we will have picked a place on the thread about meeting up. But also, if you send me an e-mail, I will provide you my phone number.

I'm thankful for two things here. One is that Mike is finally out of the hospital, and two, that he will be getting to see his Spartans play.

It looks like the bill for Mike will be less than we thought. Maybe around $215.

A few of you have offered help, and I speak for Mike when I offer a heartfelt thanks.

I think what I will do is wait until Monday or Tuesday and see what the final bill is and devide it by how many offers of help we get.

If we accidently collect more than the actual cost, I will just give any extra to Mike.

My e-mail is in my post above.

Thanks guys and ladies.

DP

Darn Salem Football, I wish we had known in time. We might have been able to figure a way to get you there , too.

Well, enjoy Rod's blog. They do a really good job of keeping you in the game.

DP

Ok gang, let's get this done.

Mike, what was the final cost for your transportation?

I suggest that anyone that wishes to help defer the cost of Mike's transport to the championship game, please send me an e-mail, (listed above).

What I think is the best plan is let me know if you wish to help and I will see how many and what they can afford. I'll take that info and divide up the cost. I'll then provide each of you with Mike's address and you can just send him a check directly.

I would like to say that I thought Mike looked good Saturday. I'm sure he was excited to be there, and equally excited about being home from the hospital/rehab facility after seven weeks. The only down side for him was the Spartans came up a little short.

Thanks to everyone for helping make this opportunity possible.

DP

They took good care of me at the hospital and the nursing home, but after 7 weeks of being away from home I was so happy to get home. I really appreciate everyone that got on board with helping me make it out to the game Saturday. It didn't turn out well for my team, but I did get to see old friends, made some new friends, and got to spend time with my Dad, so it was a good day!

DP the total cost for the van rental was about $220. (180 for the van, 18 for tax, and 22 for mileage) Thank you for spearheading the effort to get me there, I really enjoyed it.

Glad it worked out Mike.

Everyone that can help out a little, please email me in the next 24 hours. Wcook2@verizon.net

Thanks, DP

SouthbottomU, please send me an e-mail. I've been in touch with everyone that has e-mailed me with their desire to help, except you.

Guys and gals, thank you again. I know how much Mike appreciated what you did.

I plan to simply divide Mike's cost by the number of folks that can help. I will e-mail Mike's address to each of you, with what the divided amount comes to, and let you send a check directly to Mike.

If you want to help, but only can spare a few dollars, that is still terrific. I will do that math and keep it simple.

I only ask that if you plan to help, please e-mail me by tomorrow evening. That way I can go ahead and suggest the amount, and get the money headed to Mike.

Thanks to everyone, DP
wcook2@verizon.net

That was really special of you Southbottom. I know Mike appreciated it. I will see to it that the rest is covered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT