ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Salem

Kenneth Harris

VaPreps Varsity
Jun 22, 2022
As a respected leader on our sports site I have a question for you. I asked this question over 15 years ago and I did not get an answer. Or I did get an answer and it was a terrible one. The response that I did get was typical for when the power broker means to keep those that they deem to be less than under the thumb. It eventually led to my profile being deleted. But the problems didn’t delete. They are much worse. The attitude is so one sided that it is intolerable. My question is; when does character matter? We have a problem that is still brewing. It is not just in Virginia high school football but in all sports worldwide. I asked the question the first time because of problems that I saw with the character of the VHSL and then considered to myself, “What is the worse that could happen?” I have noticed that when certain people step out of line they are quick to be put back in line yet when there is the leadership that does so much worse as to have earthshaking, global implications that threaten the continuation of customs and normal function of society there is a non responsive shoulder shrug and people in power pretend that it is not happening. So. When does character matter and for whom does it matter? With football games being canceled due to violence and other behaviors, the leadership will soon need to consider that the attitudes of the children are a direct reflection of the actions and relationships of that leadership.

To answer your question simply, character should always matter.

I'm a long time reader and poster on the VaPreps site, but I have no pull with the VHSL and I'm not privy to the inner workings of the organization. This site isn't run by the VHSL, it's an independent forum that discusses the sports being played under the VHSL.

In reading what you wrote, it seems like you should pose your question to someone at the VHSL.

I'm not really sure how to address your concerns any differently than that.

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
As a respected leader on our sports site I have a question for you. I asked this question over 15 years ago and I did not get an answer. Or I did get an answer and it was a terrible one. The response that I did get was typical for when the power broker means to keep those that they deem to be less than under the thumb. It eventually led to my profile being deleted. But the problems didn’t delete. They are much worse. The attitude is so one sided that it is intolerable. My question is; when does character matter? We have a problem that is still brewing. It is not just in Virginia high school football but in all sports worldwide. I asked the question the first time because of problems that I saw with the character of the VHSL and then considered to myself, “What is the worse that could happen?” I have noticed that when certain people step out of line they are quick to be put back in line yet when there is the leadership that does so much worse as to have earthshaking, global implications that threaten the continuation of customs and normal function of society there is a non responsive shoulder shrug and people in power pretend that it is not happening. So. When does character matter and for whom does it matter? With football games being canceled due to violence and other behaviors, the leadership will soon need to consider that the attitudes of the children are a direct reflection of the actions and relationships of that leadership.
Fair points Kenneth. I don't think there is a bigger critic of the VHSL than myself on this board and I gladly wear that badge of honor. Their ineptitude is constantly on full display...everything from making district championships irrelevant to the "great realignment" to game management. That stuff is out in the public for the World to see yet the VHSL are given a free pass on a lot of it.

On your point of character, I think the inmates are running the asylum these days. School divisions are so scared of getting sued that they feel their hands are tied in many aspects. Those who perpetuate threats of violence or even commit them should be made examples of. We are seeing why the U.S. is dwindling into a failing legacy brand Western country (yes, that's a little too deep for some to handle).

Until the "soft on crime" approach is completely reversed, we will still have problems. As long as there are people who just shrug their shoulders and say that "kids will be kids" and "this is who we do it", then they are as big of a problem as the kids who commit these crimes.

And it starts in the home. When I was a substitute teacher in middle and high schools in two jurisdictions for four years from 2011-2014, I saw a lot of emptiness amongst kids. They were definitely a part of the, "Let's throw an iPhone in front of them so they will be quiet and oh look...I'm parenting!" generation. Although many of those kids were backwards and they are now in their early to mid-20s today, we are seeing that in their generation in using the mental health crutch combined with seeing what is happening with current middle and high schoolers.

In addition, the standards are low in our education system. It's easy to meet the bar when the bar is low. I've traveled around the World and our kids and the 20s somethings do not have the discipline or the acumen to compete as a whole. Yes, our higher education system is sought after, but that's because the United States does a wonderful job in marketing and being educated in the U.S. is akin to a status symbol such as an expensive Prada Bag.

Kids aren't taught about character. They aren't taught about the value of their reputation. They aren't sat down and told right from wrong. They are given an electronic device and are parented by TikTokers and YouTube "Influencers" while Mommy and Daddy (if there are two parents) can't be bothered to actually parent. Until those type of characteristics are drilled into the minds of our youth, our society will never get its act together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT