ADVERTISEMENT

Millbrook vs LCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2015
I have looked around a bit, but don't seem to see anything about this game???
Seriously... No one has mentioned this game very much and I was looking for a little information. Don't know much about either team other than Millbrook has a couple of RB's and they scored a bunch of points. Looking at Maxpreps, not sure about all the other teams they played either. Played a close one with Woodgrove which seemed the most interesting, but Sherando seemed to handle them... In reading through previous posts, LCA has a few solid athletes who will play at the next level, but what else is there? They have 3 losses but can't say anything about their opponents because there aren't many common that I know about. Gotta be tough to pick a winner here. Perhaps this is a "wait and see game"??? I just looked at all my question marks! Must be a new guy for sure...

Seriously... No one has mentioned this game very much and I was looking for a little information. Don't know much about either team other than Millbrook has a couple of RB's and they scored a bunch of points. Looking at Maxpreps, not sure about all the other teams they played either. Played a close one with Woodgrove which seemed the most interesting, but Sherando seemed to handle them... In reading through previous posts, LCA has a few solid athletes who will play at the next level, but what else is there? They have 3 losses but can't say anything about their opponents because there aren't many common that I know about. Gotta be tough to pick a winner here. Perhaps this is a "wait and see game"??? I just looked at all my question marks! Must be a new guy for sure...
Just looking at the OL/DL for LCA they average around 6'2" 280. QB is solid, with a good arm. They have a 6'5" WR that looks good in the highlights I've seen. Main RB is short (especially behind that line) but a very tough runner. They have a 6'4" DE that has looked good this year.

Overall they have height and size in all the right positions. Main guys to watch for :

#2 QB Johnson 6'2" 205
#3 WR Jauch 6' 170
#4 RB Foster 5'7" 190
#11 DE Terrell 6'4" 225
#69 DL Knowles 6'1" 295
#76 G Blake 6'5" 300
#80 WR Strachan 6'5" 220

Wow... Thanks for the input. Then they "should" win?
This really makes me wonder about a potential match-up with JF. Sounds like there could be a nice ballgame right there!!

If LCA lets them run, Millbrook can score fast and often. If they shut down the run, Millbrook will likely flounder like they did against Sherando. I don't know if it was the coaching or just a weak passing game, but they demonstrated a stubbornness against the Warriors that I haven't seen in many games before. They tried running it all night long, even on third and long when they were down 20.

It just felt like they had this bizarre belief that suddenly Sherando's run defense would give up and allow them to do what they did against the likes of Rock Ridge and Handley. Not sure why they never tried any other attacks on offense. The team that beats Sherando this year will do it through the air, and I'm sure Millbrook had to know that given that it was the final regular season game. It just baffled me why they didn't try it.

All that said, Millbrook did give Woodgrove quite the game not many weeks ago, so they can hang with really good teams. They're no cream puff, LCA will have to work for their first playoff win.

Last edited:
Wow... Thanks for the input. Then they "should" win?
This really makes me wonder about a potential match-up with JF. Sounds like there could be a nice ballgame right there!!
Well if they play solid defense then they have a really good shot to face JF 2nd Rd. I don't know much about Millbrook, they played Woodgrove close, but got handled by Sherando.

Just looking at the OL/DL for LCA they average around 6'2" 280. QB is solid, with a good arm. They have a 6'5" WR that looks good in the highlights I've seen. Main RB is short (especially behind that line) but a very tough runner. They have a 6'4" DE that has looked good this year.

Overall they have height and size in all the right positions. Main guys to watch for :

#2 QB Johnson 6'2" 205
#3 WR Jauch 6' 170
#4 RB Foster 5'7" 190
#11 DE Terrell 6'4" 225
#69 DL Knowles 6'1" 295
#76 G Blake 6'5" 300
#80 WR Strachan 6'5" 220
I watched LCA vs. Maury this week and Maury ran the ball very effectively against LCA just turned it over a TON. LCA offense was very vanilla, but the execution was solid. Wasn't overly impressed and Salem and JF should be able to beat them.

Reactions: wikki
Well if they play solid defense then they have a really good shot to face JF 2nd Rd. I don't know much about Millbrook, they played Woodgrove close, but got handled by Sherando.

Well, to be honest, that's the name of the game at this point... Teams just have to play solid defense or they are going home. It's rare that a team is so dynamic on offense, give up a ton of points, and continue to advance. I'm sure there is the oddity that can be found in the record books, it just doesn't seem likely to take place this year.

I'm pretty sure their 6'5 wr was hurt and didn't play against Maury so they didn't have any deep weapon but I just looked on max preps and they beat Maury 49-0, that don't sound vanilla to me. In the last 5 weeks they have scored over 32 points in each game and to have an offense that could keep up with Benedictines offense doesn't sound vanilla to me. What makes their offense so vanilla? They run a ton of formations and run all kinds of plays from them. A vanilla offense to me some offense that lines up in the same exact formation 85% of it snaps like some schools do.

I'm pretty sure their 6'5 wr was hurt and didn't play against Maury so they didn't have any deep weapon but I just looked on max preps and they beat Maury 49-0, that don't sound vanilla to me. In the last 5 weeks they have scored over 32 points in each game and to have an offense that could keep up with Benedictines offense doesn't sound vanilla to me. What makes their offense so vanilla? They run a ton of formations and run all kinds of plays from them. A vanilla offense to me some offense that lines up in the same exact formation 85% of it snaps like some schools do.
Vanilla is run right, run left, Play Action to TE.. That's what they did the entire game. The little RB got in behind the OL and hid. They executed well, but wasn't the world betters people made them out to be. I just wasn't like OMG there's big bad LCA. We hung 64 on Maury.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
There's not much about this game because Millbrook had a chance to show that they were a serious playoff contender and Sherando basically showed them they weren't ready. The game of the year in the Winchester/Fred area was Sherando vs James Wood (14-10 victory for Sherando). Millbrook beat James Wood 72-0 which automatically persuaded the local newspaper to name the preview article "Heavyweights Sherando, Millbrook To Square Off". The game was hyped greatly in the area and it was a great disappointment for those who viewed the game. BUT that's why you play the game...they may earn a victory against the private school in the public school playoffs.

MillBrook is no cream puff. But the fact remains they are little better than average in the scope of things. Barring anything unforeseen, and anything can happen on a Friday, a decent game but one and done.

MillBrook is no cream puff. But the fact remains they are little better than average in the scope of things. Barring anything unforeseen, and anything can happen on a Friday, a decent game but one and done.
Don't know much about Millbrook, but they played Woodgrove close and got beat soundly by Sherando. LCA may just get by them. If they do it will be the most anticipated matchup in Lynchburg in recent memory. LCA/JF will absolutely jam pack Sabre Stadium! I'm jacked up just thinking about that possibility!

Ok I agree at 7-3 you're not a cream puff, but other than 2A Clarke County name a team on their schedule that they beat that is considered a good to great team? And really do you brag about beating a 2A team when you're a 4A school? It's a no win situation. You win and it's no big deal because you suppose to win. You lose and it's a horrible because that school is 2 classifications below you. They may not be a cream puff, but that schedule? Their schedule is no where close to the schedule of a team like Hammy's Warriors. If Millbrook played Sherando's schedule would they even be in the playoffs?

I think they would make it in the playoffs playing Sherando's schedule even with losses to some of those teams , probably because of the point value of the teams lost to. So many wins by those teams. With Sherando schedule I would have them at 5-5,'or 4-6. Interesting comments in the paper this morning by Millbrook coach. He says LCA hasn't never seen a defense like Millbrooks. Still going with the "who is more physical" approach, is surprising.

I think they would make it in the playoffs playing Sherando's schedule even with losses to some of those teams , probably because of the point value of the teams lost to. So many wins by those teams. With Sherando schedule I would have them at 5-5,'or 4-6. Interesting comments in the paper this morning by Millbrook coach. He says LCA hasn't never seen a defense like Millbrooks. Still going with the "who is more physical" approach, is surprising.
Yes very surprising comments. Maybe it was more directed to his team as motivation because no doubt about it Sherando was the more physical team last Friday on both sides of the ball.

You think 5-5 or 4-6 would make it in the top 12 this year?

Ok I agree at 7-3 you're not a cream puff, but other than 2A Clarke County name a team on their schedule that they beat that is considered a good to great team? And really do you brag about beating a 2A team when you're a 4A school? It's a no win situation. You win and it's no big deal because you suppose to win. You lose and it's a horrible because that school is 2 classifications below you. They may not be a cream puff, but that schedule? Their schedule is no where close to the schedule of a team like Hammy's Warriors. If Millbrook played Sherando's schedule would they even be in the playoffs?
MillBrook is in the NWD, same as Sherando. So they had many common opponents. They also did beat Clarke County, who is very good and lost to a strong Woodgrove team by just a FG (31 - 28). Hell, GW Danville played the weakest schedule in 4A so let's look at this whole thing another way. If MillBrook had played GW's schedule, they'd be 9 - 1 or 8 - 2. Sherando would be 10 - 0.

The positive thing is that the Pioneers did make the playoffs and had a good season. The program is growing from where they were. I don't expect them to win tonight but I do expect a good showing. GL to both teams tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised by a millbrook win tonight. They are not a cupcake at all
Agreed they are not a cupcake team, but their schedule is too suspect to say they are battled tested and ready to make a deep run.

Reactions: hamspear
Any chance the weather gives either team an advantage? It's going to be near freezing with the wind chill tonight, and the wind itself is going to be rough. I doubt there will be much passing tonight if the wind forecast plays out.

Eventhough you may not think
Agreed they are not a cupcake team, but their schedule is too suspect to say they are battled tested and ready to make a deep run.
Any chance the weather gives either team an advantage? It's going to be near freezing with the wind chill tonight, and the wind itself is going to be rough. I doubt there will be much passing tonight if the wind forecast plays out.
Millbrook can't pass so it want affect their passing game, not sure about LCA.

MillBrook is in the NWD, same as Sherando. So they had many common opponents. They also did beat Clarke County, who is very good and lost to a strong Woodgrove team by just a FG (31 - 28). Hell, GW Danville played the weakest schedule in 4A so let's look at this whole thing another way. If MillBrook had played GW's schedule, they'd be 9 - 1 or 8 - 2. Sherando would be 10 - 0.

The positive thing is that the Pioneers did make the playoffs and had a good season. The program is growing from where they were. I don't expect them to win tonight but I do expect a good showing. GL to both teams tonight.
GW played the weakest schedule in 4a. Yet, they played an even weaker schedule (atrociously weak) last year and still beat Courtland, just saying. Good luck to LCA tonight. Rooting for them heavily throughout these Playoffs.

GW played the weakest schedule in 4a. Yet, they played an even weaker schedule (atrociously weak) last year and still beat Courtland, just saying. Good luck to LCA tonight. Rooting for them heavily throughout these Playoffs.
In overall football history Millbrook isn't in the same class as GW. GW's history alone shouldn't have you shocked if they win a playoff football game.

No question. GW beat Courtland last year even though Danville got held to 43 yards of total offense in the 2nd half and the Cougars racked up 54 points on them the year before.

I have no issue with this. Courtland lost that game. When you don't get off the bus till the 2nd half, you lose. Cougars did the same thing at KG 2 weeks ago. The Foxes were not the better team. GW was not the better team. But the Foxes were the best team 2 weeks ago and GW was the best team last year. Here's the difference between us here. You think your team won. I know Courtland was/is much better and screwed the pooch. That's on them. But I've often quoted Bill Parcells, "You are who your record says you are". The record says GW won. Doesn't matter how or why. No excuses. Congratulations.

But you need to retain perspective. GW was a good team last year. Very good. But they were fortunate and I have no personal vendetta against them because of it. That's the game. GW won. Cougars lost. GL with the rest of the season.

No question. GW beat Courtland last year even though Danville got held to 43 yards of total offense in the 2nd half and the Cougars racked up 54 points on them the year before.

I have no issue with this. Courtland lost that game. When you don't get off the bus till the 2nd half, you lose. Cougars did the same thing at KG 2 weeks ago. The Foxes were not the better team. GW was not the better team. But the Foxes were the best team 2 weeks ago and GW was the best team last year. Here's the difference between us here. You think your team won. I know Courtland was/is much better and screwed the pooch. That's on them. But I've often quoted Bill Parcells, "You are who your record says you are". The record says GW won. Doesn't matter how or why. No excuses. Congratulations.

But you need to retain perspective. GW was a good team last year. Very good. But they were fortunate and I have no personal vendetta against them because of it. That's the game. GW won. Cougars lost. GL with the rest of the season.
If they were very good last year and return basically the same team this year then I don't see the huge drop off you claim. What are you basing your information on?

If they were very good last year and return basically the same team this year then I don't see the huge drop off you claim. What are you basing your information on?
Which team are we talking about? If you mean GW, they lost 2 players responsible for 50 TDs. As the season began, that's a drop off. IMO. The schedule tells you nothing at all. Because of that, your boys will have to prove it every game and it will be thrown in your face till the end. Just expect it.

I had you winning tonight. GL during the rest of the playoffs.

LCA turned ball over too many times and Milbrook capitalized very well. Ultimately Millbrook too fast for LCA. Completed big passes early also. Not sure where that was last week. Now I'm wondering is Sherando better than I thought.

LCA turned ball over too many times and Milbrook capitalized very well. Ultimately Millbrook too fast for LCA. Completed big passes early also. Not sure where that was last week. Now I'm wondering is Sherando better than I thought.
I'm not surprised Millbrook won, but I was shocked that LCA played no defense! Too many turnovers and penalties for LCA. Congrats to Millbrook for hammering the Bulldogs. Maybe they can give JF a game? What do you think?

Like I said the balance offense in the 1st quarter this week was the opposite last week. Not sure if Millbrook offense is this explosive or LCA wasnt as fast on defense as they thought. I just know Sherando shut down Millbrook one week and the next week they scored 40 before half time. Hammy how good is Sherando run defense and will Woodgrove struggle to run also? I know you shouldn't compare scores but Woodgrove and Millbrook was a high scoring game 31-28 I believe. Will Sherando have same success as they did against Millbrook?

I know we are all weeping for the private school team.

NOT!
LCA is in the VHSL now. I hope folks will gradually feel less bitterness towards their school as the years go by; it might not happen.
The GOFAW Millbrook gave the LCA football team last night coupled with the loss @ home to Dominion by the volleyball team in the 2nd round of 4A West Regionals on Tuesday will hopefully humble some of the LCA supporters and give confidence to the other public schools going forward.

Reactions: wikki
I think Bird, Highland Springs, Hermitage, Tuscarora, Oscar Smith, Lake Taylor, Salem, Jefferson Forest, Lake Braddock and Ocean Lakes should all schedule them next year. That should be the initiation for any team wanting to join the VHSL.

I think Bird, Highland Springs, Hermitage, Tuscarora, Oscar Smith, Lake Taylor, Salem, Jefferson Forest, Lake Braddock and Ocean Lakes should all schedule them next year. That should be the initiation for any team wanting to join the VHSL.

Well win or lose they would probably make the playoffs!

Like I said the balance offense in the 1st quarter this week was the opposite last week. Not sure if Millbrook offense is this explosive or LCA wasnt as fast on defense as they thought. I just know Sherando shut down Millbrook one week and the next week they scored 40 before half time. Hammy how good is Sherando run defense and will Woodgrove struggle to run also? I know you shouldn't compare scores but Woodgrove and Millbrook was a high scoring game 31-28 I believe. Will Sherando have same success as they did against Millbrook?
That's all I do, is compare scores. If I'm not supposed to do it, I'm in trouble.

I hadn't thought about the fact that Woodgrove and Sherando were going to be 4 and 5 seeds. That has to be one of the greatest 4 vs. 5 playoff games in VHSL history! The game will be settled by one score. I say Woodgrove springs the upset with a score in the final 4 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT