ADVERTISEMENT

Million dollar question

rainman17

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 24, 2012
louisa and Charlottesville are from the same district but play in different regions in the same classification am I the only person who doesn’t quite understand the madness? I know they were placed into this with the new classification but that doesn’t make much sense to me

louisa and Charlottesville are from the same district but play in different regions in the same classification am I the only person who doesn’t quite understand the madness? I know they were placed into this with the new classification but that doesn’t make much sense to me
So is Powhatan

Powhatan makes sense bc it is closer to Richmond but you are right about C’ville and Louisa. That is a bit odd.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Powhatan makes sense bc it is closer to Richmond but you are right about C’ville and Louisa. That is a bit odd.
It doesn’t make sense they are in the Jefferson. They should be in a Richmond district

Reactions: mbonape1
This is why I say do away with them. Districts really mean nothing. What impact do they have on a region..none.
It's all about football scheduling. Districts make it very easy for the AD's to make a football schedule and keep travel budgets in check. Most other sports dislike them.

Last edited:
It doesn’t make sense they are in the Jefferson. They should be in a Richmond district

They were moved to the Jefferson because there wasn't a comparable "4A" district a few years ago for Powhatan to fit into in the Richmond area. Now, with Midlothian, Monacan, Huguenot, Patrick Henry, Hanover, etc. all in Class 4A, they need to be moved sooner than later. It's a disservice to both Powhatan and other JD teams to have to make that travel each season for in-district games. What's worse is this doesn't just affect football, it's across all sports.

Another aspect that is a problem here though is Powhatan geographically (and classification-wise) fits into the Dominion district which is already crowded with 9 teams. Not that that would prevent them from moving. I think the Beach district has something like 11 or 12 teams and the NW has 13 or 14.

Last edited:
One thing that's always interested me...other than William Byrd, we are the smallest 4A school, and if we were 3A we'd be in the playoffs against Valley teams and the likes of William Monroe. How different would that be :eek:

Yeah some of these school systems like dinwiddie, Powhatan, and Louisa are going to have decisions to make because they are all getting bigger.

Yeah I didn’t know that about Powhatan but truthfully it’s not about the district it’s why a district would have differing regions not classifications falling within it. I get a line would be drawn but theoretically it doesn’t make sense to split a district in half on Who plays in which playoff. Louisa would probably be the 1 seed potentially over Blacksburg if they were to in 4D or whatever it is.

Yeah I didn’t know that about Powhatan but truthfully it’s not about the district it’s why a district would have differing regions not classifications falling within it. I get a line would be drawn but theoretically it doesn’t make sense to split a district in half on Who plays in which playoff. Louisa would probably be the 1 seed potentially over Blacksburg if they were to in 4D or whatever it is.
LCHS is 45 min from CHS. LCHS is 45 min from everything essentially. C'ville stands out b/c they are 4. Fluvanna, Western, and Monticello are all 3D (west) along with Albemarle and Orange being 5D. I guess you could argue that Louisa should be in the Battlefield or a Hanover district but those places are a little farther away than Albemarle County.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
LCHS is 45 min from CHS. LCHS is 45 min from everything essentially. C'ville stands out b/c they are 4. Fluvanna, Western, and Monticello are all 3D (west) along with Albemarle and Orange being 5D. I guess you could argue that Louisa should be in the Battlefield or a Hanover district but those places are a little farther away than Albemarle County.

Louisa is in the correct district. It is just Powhatan. They should be in the James river district with Cumberland and Nottaway but that is already very crowded. The truth is the Jefferson is the only district with room to spare

I get how far they are from locations I went to undergrad in Charlottesville. I’m just confused to why they are playing the other half of the state where a team like charlottesville and the other you named would be playing in 4D if they were 4A

I get how far they are from locations I went to undergrad in Charlottesville. I’m just confused to why they are playing the other half of the state where a team like charlottesville and the other you named would be playing in 4D if they were 4A
This is where, I think, it gets a little political. If you remove Powhatan and Louisa you are left with 6 teams. You need to fill out the district a little bit. Looking at other area schools they are either too small or not traditionally strong enough so not enough points. They could try to entice some of the Valley schools to come over but that's a trip most don't want to have to take in the winter (over the mountain). Plus they are firmly entrenched in their own districts. I don't know how Louisa was pried away from the old Battlefield district in '98 I believe. Anyone have insight on this?
I think Goochland could possibly be in the mix if they weren't 2A

Reactions: blackknight_pride
This is where, I think, it gets a little political. If you remove Powhatan and Louisa you are left with 6 teams. You need to fill out the district a little bit. Looking at other area schools they are either too small or not traditionally strong enough so not enough points. They could try to entice some of the Valley schools to come over but that's a trip most don't want to have to take in the winter (over the mountain). Plus they are firmly entrenched in their own districts. I don't know how Louisa was pried away from the old Battlefield district in '98 I believe. Anyone have insight on this?

A lot of our district teams scrimmage Goochland in a lot of sports.

Atlee Capital District, last year played in the Northern Region, while Highlsnd Springs, Henrico and Lee Davis (all Capital District] played kn the Richmond area Region! Go figure!

One thing that's always interested me...other than William Byrd, we are the smallest 4A school, and if we were 3A we'd be in the playoffs against Valley teams and the likes of William Monroe. How different would that be :eek:

I still have an issue with teams in 3A teams having larger enrollment than C'ville and WB. That makes no sense at all. Probably a policy they came up with without having a reason.

I still have an issue with teams in 3A teams having larger enrollment than C'ville and WB. That makes no sense at all. Probably a policy they came up with without having a reason.
Lafayette has about 300 less students than fellow Region teams Deep Creek and Kings Fork. That’s not a small difference.

Louisa is in the correct district. It is just Powhatan. They should be in the James river district with Cumberland and Nottaway but that is already very crowded. The truth is the Jefferson is the only district with room to spare

Agreed that Louisa is in the correct district. Powhatan would not fit into the JR district very well though. That entire district is 1A and 2A teams, and average travel time for away games would easily be over an hour, which is about the same as their current situation. I would say the better fit is the Dominion because there are 4A teams there already and the average travel time would be 20-30 min. Both the JR and the Dominion currently have 9 teams, so if one has to go to 10 it seems Dominion is the better choice.

Agreed that Louisa is in the correct district. Powhatan would not fit into the JR district very well though. That entire district is 1A and 2A teams, and average travel time for away games would easily be over an hour, which is about the same as their current situation. I would say the better fit is the Dominion because there are 4A teams there already and the average travel time would be 20-30 min. Both the JR and the Dominion currently have 9 teams, so if one has to go to 10 it seems Dominion is the better choice.

Agreed but they aint letting powahtan in the dominion

I wouldn't be too sure. With Powhatan's success historically and currently (not just football with the past couple seasons being down), it would be a smart move for the Dominion. This has been talked about since the 90's, and from what I've heard previously the only thing stopping the move was Powhatan's hesitation to move out of what was the Southside District. They have a new AD as of 2017 after Jimmy stepped down from a long and successful career. I wouldn't be surprised if the new AD pushed the move to the Dominion. It makes sense. Not only would it be better competition, the school would also save a boatload on travel costs.

Either way, the districts are already locked in for next year so any changes wouldn't take effect until 2019-2020.

Last edited:
I was referring to Louisa, Dinwiddie, and Powhatan as decisions to make in reference to each growing and getting closer to 5a. Louisa and Powhatan are both growing counties. As far as the placement of these two teams being in the JD does not make sense either.

I was referring to Louisa, Dinwiddie, and Powhatan as decisions to make in reference to each growing and getting closer to 5a. Louisa and Powhatan are both growing counties. As far as the placement of these two teams being in the JD does not make sense either.
Orange and Albemarle are Class 5. I know there's regions with 4-6 and maybe 3-6? Additionally, many schools are increasing in population. I think the cut lines will shift up and most schools will stay right where they are classwise.

mb, just got around to seeing the new alignment for next year. Looks like the Dominion is getting even bigger. I was with you that I didn’t think they would agree to put Powhatan in but it is the best fit overall for that school. We’ll see how well this works out.

Orange will be dropping to 4 next year. It will be a nice old timey AA district (except for Albemarle).

Louisa, as far as I know, is very happy in the Jefferson District. Travel wise it feels like six of one and half-dozen of the other. Orange is pretty much in the same boat as Louisa. The Hornets used to be a Battlefield District team, but travel wise, there's not much difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT