ADVERTISEMENT

Monacan Chiefs

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
The last 4 years have been right there with two I remember were the playoff game with Lake Taylor where they seemingly had the game won and the game with Louisa last year where they had the early lead. They seem to be building something there. Also in 2015 they lost a close one to Dinwiddie in the playoffs. I am wondering whether they will be one of those teams that will find a way to go on a two or three year run.

Monacan was the best overall team Louisa played last year before Salem. But coaching did them in, both against LT and Louisa. We all know the infamous final play against LT, but their coach took TWO made field goals off the board against us. Already down two possessions, Louisa gifted them field position with penalties, but Monacan wouldn't take the points, opting to go for the TD and the dagger before half. Instead, Monacan implodes with penalties themselves, Brandon Smith makes an unfathomable tough play, then Louisa gets a pick and goes into half with all the momentum. Before that point, Monacan seemed unstoppable. After that, they seemed to be in their own heads the rest of the game and went away from what had been working. You can't mess with high school kids' minds like that as a coach. Dinwiddie and EV got much of the talk on here last season, but most folks from the area, myself included, knew Monacan was tougher. Some of us were fortunate to see Monacan buckle down and take Manchester to the woodshed in the final few minutes of that game, when it had looked like they were choking. Without those bad decisions, we're most likely talking about Salem vs. Monacan last year.

This should be EV's year to win 4B, but I wouldn't be surprised if they face Monacan for the title, or if Monacan ends up as the 4B champ. Their coach is young, so I'm sure he won't let those mental things happen again.

Last edited:
@freeatlast2013 a 2-3 year run would be great but sometimes taking that next step as a program is challenging. I sure hope we can but I think there will be some-level of drop off after this season. We return a lot this year and should be in the discussion. But bc we lost our QB and TB and a few other key pieces not a favorite. I think back-half of the top 10 in class 4 to start. We do have some playmakers though, time to embrace their destiny. We play Manchester who is absolutely loaded early in the season. If we can hang around with them, I'll feel pretty good.

Monacan as a school is under its intended enrollment max. There are other schools in the county that are overcapacity and those kids should be coming our way soon. Generally these are pretty fertile athletic areas that would be coming. But if that happens, I think we will be moving to class 5. The last 3 years specifically we have lost a lot of transfers to private schools and to other public schools in the district that hurt. But no excuses, line up and play ball!

@anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b you are spot on regarding the Louisa game. I think most people did believe Dinwiddie was the favorite and most talked about. I think Monacan, EV, and Louisa all had naysayers. All 4 of those teams were phenomenal. I think it will be a while until we see that duplicated.

Our coach is a risk taker. Like hit me with "18 showing" type of risk taker. I like it, but it does drive me wild at times. If you got 16 showing.... then stay put. With that said, I wouldn't trade him. He has had success with 3 different programs now and turned ours around.

Our coach is a risk taker. Like hit me with "18 showing" type of risk taker. I like it, but it does drive me wild at times. If you got 16 showing.... then stay put. With that said, I wouldn't trade him. He has had success with 3 different programs now and turned ours around.
We are all about taking risks. Every new team we played last season found out how we always are on 4th downs, and it helped us immensely, especially against Monacan and Lafayette. But even Coach Fischer said after the Monacan game that he would've taken the points. He's risky, but not that risky LOL. I understand taking the risk after 1 field goal and you're near the goal line, but when you're gifted a 2nd one, you gotta take the points LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT