ADVERTISEMENT

Monacan win in OT

Aug 11, 2014
Whats the scoop on that game? I was surprised by the score. 2nd team this year to hold Monacan to 2 TD's in regulation (assuming the 15 came by way of the TD).

Two brothers coaching against each for the first time. They coached together for years and know exactly what each other is going to do. James River coach was Monacans defensive coordinator the past four years.

I did hear Monacan had some difficulty stopping the running qb of James River. Just one of those games.

JR got embarrassed and BLOWN OUT last week by Manachester. The James River head coach is coach Henderson brother and was our defensive coordinator last season. So I kind of knew this would happen. They shortened the game and ran a qb left QB right all night for 3 Yrds a carry. Monacan has a bad habit of getting into dog fights with teams it shouldn’t. Also we drive the field in 3 plays and get to our opponents 30 yard line and just start going backwards with penalties. Drive stopping 3 plays in a row of penalties. Then you sprinkle in 3-4 turnovers and a few freakish plays, dropped balls, and this is what you get. Monacan is a big, fast, athletic team and to see them get into these sloppy games is worrisome to say the least. Just happy we pulled it out and can move on with our undefeated season. We play a BIrd team in 2 weeks that is now blowing teams out. This is an interesting game on the horizon. Plus we haven’t beaten them in 19 years!

@Lafayette JR was 3-3 but played a tough schedule thus far of LCB, Riverbend & Manchester. They will win their last 3 and be 6-4 on the season.

No way to slice it other than Monacan just didn't look like a very good team yesterday.
Even the best teams have at least one off night. You just hope you still get the win. Monacan did. I am hoping our one off night was in our game 1 loss to incredibly still undefeated Norcom.

Ahh the brother connection thing. So does the losing brother get the bragging rights for almost pulling the upset. I grew up with three brothers and we always were competing. Loved every minute of it.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Ahh the brother connection thing. So does the losing brother get the bragging rights for almost pulling the upset. I grew up with three brothers and we always were competing. Loved every minute of it.

I would say he is walking around with his head real high today considering Manchester beat JR 59-15 last week and Monacan beat Manchester 42-35 despite Monacan giving up a a pick 6 and a blocked punt. Now James River came in and took Monacan to the wire. We only had 3 possessions in the first half. First one we score in like 90 seconds... The others we fumbled, into-ed, or penalty our way backwards. JR river was a 25-30 point dog in this one. He also came out and completely scrapped his normal offense.

I am sure Jim Henderson is happy to get the win but Bobby has to feel pretty good about his team last night.

Basically they did. But you had JR's too. Which lead to exactly what happened, an OT game.

We had the same issues when Jim left Dinwiddie and took the job at Monacan. But, with each passing season, it becomes less and less of a factor.

With Buzz Edwards at CH, he will know what we like to do in different game situations, and try to exploit that. The big difference will be that CH just doesn't have the number of horses they need to take advantage of this.

I'm like you Mbonape, this game makes me raise an eyebrow about how solid the Chiefs really are? With the offensive weapons Monacan has, they should have scored 40+ points on JR.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
I wonder who had to buy the beer?

When you didn't text any updates, we figured you were somewhere close to cardiac arrest. Man, what a game. Perfectly fitting for Henderson Bowl #1.

How big was the crowd compared to your Manchester game. I've got to believe the Monacan side was full?

No big deal on the shirt. I was just getting it to support the cause anyway. I was going to give it to my wife to sleep in. Like she doesn't have about 50 in the drawer already!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
When you didn't text any updates, we figured you were somewhere close to cardiac arrest. Man, what a game. Perfectly fitting for Henderson Bowl #1.

How big was the crowd compared to your Manchester game. I've got to believe the Monacan side was full?

No big deal on the shirt. I was just getting it to support the cause anyway. I was going to give it to my wife to sleep in. Like she doesn't have about 50 in the drawer already!

Maybe slightly more for the Manchester game but certainly a good turnout.

I would have hoped it would be packed. A game like that deserves a huge loud crowd.

Not the same situation, but I was always sad for the Lake Taylor kids. They were winning every game, and the home crowds were really small. Kids deserve better from the community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT