ADVERTISEMENT

Most competitive Classification

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
There has been some talk on the other boards about the number of teams with sub .500 records that made the playoffs. So I decided to see what the numbers show across all classifications. Just simply based on the number of sub .500 teams in the playoffs for each classification....

Class 6: Has 3 teams sub .500 in
Class 5: Has 5 teams sub .500 in
Class 4: Has 1 team sub .500 in
Class 3: Has 15(not a typo) of 32 teams sub .500 in
Class 2: Has 3 teams sub .500 in
Class 1: Has 8 teams sub .500 in

So based on these numbers, it's safe to say that Class 4 is the most competitive as a whole. Not only does Class 4 have the fewest sub. 500 teams in the playoffs, they also have the most undefeated teams. Louisa, Eastern View, Dinwiddie, and Monacan are all 10-0.

My question (just as devil’s advocate) would be, does anybody think it’s possible that with more sub .500 teams getting in that could be because there are also less undefeated teams, meaning that classification is really more competitive as a whole? For example, maybe all of these undefeated 4A teams haven’t played the same quality competition top-to-bottom in the regular season as a top seed 5A team might have that isn’t undefeated. A better bench mark might be Interclassification win/loss percentages.
Just for the sake of argument^
With that being said, I’m in agreement with your statement about 4A.

Reactions: falcettik and gwb16
My question (just as devil’s advocate) would be, does anybody think it’s possible that with more sub .500 teams getting in that could be because there are also less undefeated teams, meaning that classification is really more competitive as a whole? For example, maybe all of these undefeated 4A teams haven’t played the same quality competition top-to-bottom in the regular season as a top seed 5A team might have that isn’t undefeated. A better bench mark might be Interclassification win/loss percentages.
Just for the sake of argument^
With that being said, I’m in agreement with your statement about 4A.
I don't think that more sub .500 teams=more competitive. I can see how less undefeated teams might mean more competitive as in Class 4 region D...no undefeated teams but 3 one loss teams and a two loss team.

Reactions: jfcav1
Class 4 is extremely competitive throughout the state. The discrepancy in class 3 could be the fact, they play a lot of teams above their classes. I know that is true in the Richmond area. In the Central District we have 3 threes, one four, 3 fives and a six. In the Dominion they have one three, three fours, one 5 and 4 sixes. The Colonial has 2 three, and six fives. The Capital has 1 three, 2 fours and 5 fives.

I know the 757 teams are the same way. There certainly is no shortage of competition. The four unbeaten teams in Class 4's have played varied competition and the power points speak for themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT