4. Heritage (NN)
5. Monacan
6. Lake Taylor
7. Salem
8. Louisa
9. Sherando
10. Loudoun Valley

HM: Eastern View, Powhatan, Lafayette

This is from a mix of word of mouth and what I have seen either in person, on Hudl (full games and highlights), or on Gameday Magazine.

Last edited:
Woodgrove is no doubt a top team, I knew last year against JF that they're a program! My knock on Woodgrove is their speed. A lot like the good Western Albermarle teams of the past 3-4 years. With that being said, the 4a west will go thru Purcellville. The QB, Kovich, I saw against JF last year is a senior for Woodgrove and he is a playmaker!! Johnny Manziel like... If they had just a little speed, then they would've been very dangerous.

IMO!!!
1. Dinwiddie
2. Amherst
3. Salem
4. Heritage NN
5. Woodgrove
6. Lake Taylor
7. Louisa
8. Lafayette
9. Monacan
10. EC Glass
Would be interested in seeing other opinions on their top 10's
I like it but I would put Pulaski instead of Glass

Reactions: OCBoy
1.Dinwiddie
2.Heritage
3.Amherst
4.LT
5.Salem
6.Monacan
7.Woodgrove
8.Lousia
9.LCA
10.King George
11.Glass
12.WBryd
13.EV
14.Sherando
15.Pulaski

I guess my 11-15 is my HM.Don't sleep on LCA.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Good job thus far posters. Its still early and we have already seen some surprises. More to come I am sure. I will not rate my own team (Dinwiddie), but I do believe we deserve to be somewhere in the top ten. The next three games Hopewell, Matoaca and Thomas Dale will provide a ton of information on the Generals future.

1. Woodgrove
2. Heritage NN (have beat two good teams)
3. Amherst (two very nice wins, tough games ahead)
4. Louisa (If they dominate the Jefferson watch out)
5. Lake Taylor (quiet assassin. Appears to have fixed their db woes this past week)
6. Salem (tough win against WB. They will improve in the coming weeks)
7. Lafayette (sound as usual, hard to tell with their schedule, but will not over look them)
8. Eastern View (Very good win against Chancellor. This team keeps getting my attention).
9. Monacan (Sound quarterback and very good coaching staff. Tough games with LC Bird, Manchester coming up).
10. Chancellor (They are not done. Tough team to defend and I will stick by prediction of them being a contender).

Almost: Pulaski (Sound o line and balanced attack make them a contender in the West)
Sherando (Young team looks to be maturing. This week will tell us a lot)
EC Glass (Look to be making great strides. Are they that good or is GW Danville down?)

Good job thus far posters. Its still early and we have already seen some surprises. More to come I am sure. I will not rate my own team (Dinwiddie), but I do believe we deserve to be somewhere in the top ten. The next three games Hopewell, Matoaca and Thomas Dale will provide a ton of information on the Generals future.

1. Woodgrove
2. Heritage NN (have beat two good teams)
3. Amherst (two very nice wins, tough games ahead)
4. Louisa (If they dominate the Jefferson watch out)
5. Lake Taylor (quiet assassin. Appears to have fixed their db woes this past week)
6. Salem (tough win against WB. They will improve in the coming weeks)
7. Lafayette (sound as usual, hard to tell with their schedule, but will not over look them)
8. Eastern View (Very good win against Chancellor. This team keeps getting my attention).
9. Monacan (Sound quarterback and very good coaching staff. Tough games with LC Bird, Manchester coming up).
10. Chancellor (They are not done. Tough team to defend and I will stick by prediction of them being a contender).

Almost: Pulaski (Sound o line and balanced attack make them a contender in the West)
Sherando (Young team looks to be maturing. This week will tell us a lot)
EC Glass (Look to be making great strides. Are they that good or is GW Danville down?)
Just like the college polls I think it is better to wait until week 5 or so of the season to avoid reputation bias in the poll, however, I believe the Top 10's here have pretty thoroughly covered the teams that would be there in another week or so and I do not see any glaring omissions. As far as Glass they are better than they were. With Woody at the helm they are making strides but, their record is largely a by product of the quality of opposition. GW has had some good to great players in recent times but, its been about 20 years since they had a team that was a legitimate threat at a statewide level. Sure they have made some regionals but, that is more a function of classification and opposition. The current edition isn't even close to the better ones of the last two decades, in my opinion.

I've been watching Pulaski's QB Bryant Grubb and this kid looks really good. Very good chemistry with his receivers and not to mention he has a guy by the name of Hunter Thomas in the same backfield with him. Huge line also. I wouldn't write off Pulaski.
Just curious where have you seen this at?

Just like the college polls I think it is better to wait until week 5 or so of the season to avoid reputation bias in the poll, however, I believe the Top 10's here have pretty thoroughly covered the teams that would be there in another week or so and I do not see any glaring omissions. As far as Glass they are better than they were. With Woody at the helm they are making strides but, their record is largely a by product of the quality of opposition. GW has had some good to great players in recent times but, its been about 20 years since they had a team that was a legitimate threat at a statewide level. Sure they have made some regionals but, that is more a function of classification and opposition. The current edition isn't even close to the better ones of the last two decades, in my opinion.
Cutnjump I agree with you but I will say this.If we talk about scheduling Dinwiddie has played JM,Hanover and Caroline.JM only win was against winless York and winless MP..Hanover only win is against a winless Tucker team and Caroline is winless I believe.No doubt in my mind Dinwiddie is the best team in state but Glass isn't the only team rank that is untested.Vance supposed to be really good but Glass beat GW just as bad as Vance did.Atleast Glass put GW away in 2nd quarter.

Cutnjump I agree with you but I will say this.If we talk about scheduling Dinwiddie has played JM,Hanover and Caroline.JM only win was against winless York and winless MP..Hanover only win is against a winless Tucker team and Caroline is winless I believe.No doubt in my mind Dinwiddie is the best team in state but Glass isn't the only team rank that is untested.Vance supposed to be really good but Glass beat GW just as bad as Vance did.Atleast Glass put GW away in 2nd quarter.
We do not really disagree. My point was not they they did not deserve to be ranked as I am in agreement with Parcells, at some point you are what your record says you are. What I was trying to say, maybe badly, was that at present the strides Glass has made need to be considered in light of current circumstances. I do not believe long time Glass observers would believe the current version is comparable to the good teams Glass has had over the years just yet, however, that perception might change if they continue to pile up wins. I am also pretty sure that anybody that observed Glass/GW games in decades past would not try to argue that what they saw Friday night was on a level close to equivalent. Woody is making strides, however, I think he would be the first to tell you his current team has work to do before he feels remotely comfortable with their ability to compete on a statewide basis at a level comparable to prior Glass teams or his Brookville squad.

From what I've been told, GW could have its worst season since 2010. Lucky for them, they play in one of the worst districts in the state. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get beat by Martinsville this year. I've been told that there's no fight in the guys and this team mirrors the Jimmy Teague teams from 10 and 11. Not good at all if you're familiar with those GW teams.

Interesting that Kings Fork did not get mentioned. Nor, Loudoun Valley?

And everybody jumped off of the Hanover train mighty early. I wouldn't totally dismiss the Hawks. Clayton Cheatham can't be underestimated. If the team around him gets their sea legs under them, Cheatham can put the team on his back and find a way to win. Though his size and style are totally different, he reminds me of Adam Morgan. Both have the heart of a champion.

I would continue to keep King George in the discussion, as well.

Another team that has the potential to sneak up in our polls is Charlottesville.

And I'm still not ready to throw in the towel on Smithfield. But, they sure stunk up the joint against Kings Fork.

1.Dinwiddie
2.Heritage
3.Amherst
4.LT
5.Salem
6.Monacan
7.Woodgrove
8.Lousia
9.LCA
10.King George
11.Glass
12.WBryd
13.EV
14.Sherando
15.Pulaski

I guess my 11-15 is my HM.Don't sleep on LCA.
I think LCA is too far up Byrd, Sherando and Louisa should be ahead of them

I wouldn't leave Millbrook out of the conversation also I think Chancellor is going to rebound from the loss and make some serious noise. I think EV will lose to Sherando this week.

Does Virginia Preps or the VHSL have an "official" weekly Top Ten ranking for each group (6A, 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A and 1A)? If yes, if someone could post a link I'd be very, very grateful!

You make valid points supported by facts. Hard to dispute. Yes, Caroline is horrible. JM is a good team but the Generals made them look like Middle Schoolers.

But watch Dinwiddie play. They do not win. They annihilate. No matter what the schedule, this is what State Champion caliber teams do. IMO, they are the #1 4A team in the State until proven otherwise.

IMO!!!
1. Dinwiddie
2. Amherst
3. Salem
4. Heritage NN
5. Woodgrove
6. Lake Taylor
7. Louisa
8. Lafayette
9. Monacan
10. EC Glass
Would be interested in seeing other opinions on their top 10's
dinwiddie
amherst
salem
hnnews
lake t.
woodgrove
glass
louisa
monacan
lafayette
byrd

Eastern View hosts Sherando this Friday night...this one should "tell the tale" if either is a contender or not.
I just want to make sure I got this going in.. If EV beats Sherando, does that tell us that EV is for real, or will it be one those, Sherando isn't all that good and the win doesn't mean that much. Or Visa Versa.. I see Louisa up there on some peoples top ten, I assume that is due to the win over Sherando. Ok the path is clear, beat Sherando and they will recognize!!

Hey DSH, you didn't happen to know that poor young lady that lost her life over the weekend, did you? My heart and prayers go out to her family and friends.

I just want to make sure I got this going in.. If EV beats Sherando, does that tell us that EV is for real, or will it be one those, Sherando isn't all that good and the win doesn't mean that much. Or Visa Versa.. I see Louisa up there on some peoples top ten, I assume that is due to the win over Sherando. Ok the path is clear, beat Sherando and they will recognize!!
Having seen both teams, I'll say Sherando's defense will be the most physical and disciplined EV has faced so far. And EV's history against physical defenses is well known. So if EV wins this one, regardless of the game being played at home, they'll earn a lot more respect from many folks.

Reactions: shauntclair
You make valid points supported by facts. Hard to dispute. Yes, Caroline is horrible. JM is a good team but the Generals made them look like Middle Schoolers.

But watch Dinwiddie play. They do not win. They annihilate. No matter what the schedule, this is what State Champion caliber teams do. IMO, they are the #1 4A team in the State until proven otherwise.
Having seen both teams, I'll say Sherando's defense will be the most physical and disciplined EV has faced so far. And EV's history against physical defenses is well known. So if EV wins this one, regardless of the game being played at home, they'll earn a lot more respect from many folks.
Someone should ask some Chancellor players how physical that game was last Friday

How about neither team is a contender, I know what it tAkes to get to the state game. Already know Sherando won't get there this year.
Here is a novel idea...let every team play a five game schedule. YOU evaluate those games and then YOU let the VHSL know which teams have what it takes to get to the "state game". They would then play single elimination until YOU crown the last team standing!

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
This years Sherando team is not near as physical as many in the past. They are still learning what physical is. Maybe more physical than other teams, but still have a long way to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT