ADVERTISEMENT

My 4A Top Ten after Week 3

Without giving away too much strategy do you think you will predominately attack them with the run or pass (both)?

The Spartans secondary is sound and experienced, so getting them through the air will not be easy. Their run defense against us was sound for the most part, but our running qb forced Salem to adapt.

Whats your answer for Ramsey and Owen. They hit us hard on the ground. All good backs and I dont see the Spartans coughing it up 3 times.

Not sure what the coaches strategy will be, but I firmly believe Bburg is at their best when they are balanced on O. Got to use the weapons (not just Terry and Beck) available and Johnston will need to protect the ball. I could see special teams being a factor as well, both Salem and Bburg can take kick returns to the house at any time.

How do you stop Ramsey and Owen? They are good backs with different attributes. Ramsey's power will give the Bruins more trouble than Owen's speed, IMO.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
If it's low scoring advantage Salem. If it turns into a track meet, look out we have a shot. I can honestly say this will be the first year the kids aren't completely intimidated. Maybe Salem overlooks us, they should we have not been competitive as of late.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
@OCBoy why did you knock down EV a few notches on your top ten? Do you insider info? What's the scoop?
None at all. They are in the same category as Louisa with me. They haven't played anyone. Louisa's opponents records are 0-9 EV's opponents are 1-8. EV is tough because they return most of last years team they just haven't had to play anyone. Not EV or Louisa's fault the teams they are playing don't have wins.

Thats a great synopsis OCBoy. I think both are talented teams just haven't gotten to prove it on a big stage. Louisa will have a few challenges. Unfortunately, I dont see anyone getting within 21 points of EV. By the way, how is EV's defense shaping up or can you tell?

The top 5 in Region B are capable of beating the other on a given day. We shall see about Monacan on Friday, but my guess is win or lose they will show their metal.

Top 8 Region B as of now

1. Dinwiddie
2. Louisa
3. Monacan (only because mbonape1's doubt)
4. EV
5. PH-Ashland
6. Courtland
7. KG
8. Hanover and Chancellor tie

Reactions: hamspear
Thats a great synopsis OCBoy. I think both are talented teams just haven't gotten to prove it on a big stage. Louisa will have a few challenges. Unfortunately, I dont see anyone getting within 21 points of EV. By the way, how is EV's defense shaping up or can you tell?

The top 5 in Region B are capable of beating the other on a given day. We shall see about Monacan on Friday, but my guess is win or lose they will show their metal.

Top 8 Region B as of now

1. Dinwiddie
2. Louisa
3. Monacan (only because mbonape1's doubt)
4. EV
5. PH-Ashland
6. Courtland
7. KG
8. Hanover and Chancellor tie
The defense will be the key to them making a run at any deep playoff run. They have a new star at linebacker that is out with an injury right now. Coen King is very athletic and its his first year playing football I believe.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
None at all. They are in the same category as Louisa with me. They haven't played anyone. Louisa's opponents records are 0-9 EV's opponents are 1-8. EV is tough because they return most of last years team they just haven't had to play anyone. Not EV or Louisa's fault the teams they are playing don't have wins.
Agree with your philosophy, just Sherando hasn't played anyone either. Thought EV was king your team and thought you would slide them above Sherando. Not complaining , just was wondering. Sherando will have a test on a Friday with Loudoun Valley. They look pretty solid and much better than what we played so far.

EVs defense has the size and speed that has never been seen in there 10 years of existence. Plus they are young. They have a D1 corner who had 2 pick 6s last week. They have a sophomore DT that plugs the middle pretty well. Plus they have a dual threat QB that runs to throw first. And Hunter has been an all state selection for 2 years for a reason.

EVs defense has the size and speed that has never been seen in there 10 years of existence. Plus they are young. They have a D1 corner who had 2 pick 6s last week. They have a sophomore DT that plugs the middle pretty well. Plus they have a dual threat QB that runs to throw first. And Hunter has been an all state selection for 2 years for a reason.
Good luck the rest of the year, when EV gets to a state championship they will definitely get more respect on this board. It's a tough row to ho for a lot of teams in the East and West

Certainly way to early to be talking state championship games Hampy. A question was asked about the defense and I gave my input. I'm not sure if EV is respected or not. But I really don't think they are worried about that. Only worried about the team lined up against them that week.

Every day is a great day to be talking about a state championship. Once a team has gotten there , every year is a failure if you don't make it.

The defense will be the key to them making a run at any deep playoff run. They have a new star at linebacker that is out with an injury right now. Coen King is very athletic and its his first year playing football I believe.
I believe that the imminent return of B. Leake will have a good impact for EV. The kid is an athletic freak.

Yeah, the boys in region D can put up points. We shall see if they (except Salem) can play some defense. Are the offenses that good or the defenses that bad? Not being sarcastic I really don't know.
I Can't say for sure what the answer is but, I know that the Glass starting D has only given 5 touchdowns, TOTAL in 3 games. They have the best defensive player in the district and probably the region in LB Thomas Patterson. The kid is the definition of a ball hawk. Heard He had 19 tackles opening game against C-Ville.

Last edited:
Good questions Coach. To answer your questions, I don't know how I came up with those, especially 5 down. I have zero idea how it'll play out. Bleeding Navy and I both agree that there is no D in Region D. Nobody in D except Salem is playing any defense and even they gave up 24 to Amherst in the first half. I think your Black Knights will be in the thick of things. I think the Louisa game is a toss up, but I've been on the BK bandwagon and I'll stay on there. GW and Salem SHOULD finish 9-1. Blacksburg and Magna Vista will have a say in that. Byrd's schedule is really weak so loses to SR and LB could really hurt them. Glass will lose to Heritage, possibly JF and maybe even LCA. That's just me. I have zero idea about Pulaski but imo they lose to PH, Salem, Blacksburg and I think they drop one to either HV or CS... That's just me.
Not so fast my friend! Glass starting D has only given up 5 touchdowns TOTAL in 3 games.

I'm glad someone got the reference :D[/QUOTE

Hhs has had no problems anywhere. Speaking on glass. From preps...Halifax scored 21 in the second half against the 2s. franklin county scored 21, cville scored 14. Am I right? That's 8 tds...I see your an hhs alum. how many TDs have been scored against vs their ones, sir vol? 5 you say? Cville is a quality opponent who seems to have no problems on offense since glass, franklin county with #5 at qb has the ability to move the ball and he played the whole game. Halifax......is rebuilding. Does glass play quality d? Set up question...

I can tell you firsthand Glass's D is quite good. Cville's top rusher, Sabias Folley, had a knee injury in that game, so that kept him at bay, and our second leading rusher Rakeem Davis couldn't play the first quarter that game, so that also contributed. Still, holding a team that since has averaged 40.5ppg scoreless in the first three quarters is very impressive. I would say the D is for real at EC Glass.

I Can't say for sure what the answer is but, I know that the Glass starting D has only given 5 touchdowns, TOTAL in 3 games. They have the best defensive player in the district and probably the region in LB Thomas Patterson. The kid is the definition of a ball hawk. Heard He had 19 tackles opening game against C-Ville.

And the crazy thing is, Thomas Patterson had 19(newspaper said 21 I believe) tackles in 38 minutes! He spent most of the 3rd quarter on the sideline with cramps!

Glass defense gave up 3 touchdowns to Cville, 3 to Halifax(the reserves were in), and 2 to Franklin County(plus a special teams touchdown). I thought the defense looked great when I sat them in the Charlottesville game. And they are still young. I think 4 Senior are starting on defense.

I think the only quality defense Glass has faced is Charlottesville, and it looked like they could've pulled away from them if they didn't make so many mistakes.

Looks like they used the Halifax and the Franklin county games to get Maccallum comfortable at quarterback. He struggled in the Charlottesville game, but played very well in the last two games. He went 12-18 for 230 yards last week vs. Franklin county. He just had some first game jitters. Once the game slows down for him I think he will perform well. He'll have his first big test vs Heritage next Friday.

I can tell you firsthand Glass's D is quite good. Cville's top rusher, Sabias Folley, had a knee injury in that game, so that kept him at bay, and our second leading rusher Rakeem Davis couldn't play the first quarter that game, so that also contributed. Still, holding a team that since has averaged 40.5ppg scoreless in the first three quarters is very impressive. I would say the D is for real at EC Glass.

Cville should've given Rakeem Davis the ball more against Glass. That kid was FAST!

Reactions: blackknight_pride
And the crazy thing is, Thomas Patterson had 19(newspaper said 21 I believe) tackles in 38 minutes! He spent most of the 3rd quarter on the sideline with cramps!

Glass defense gave up 3 touchdowns to Cville, 3 to Halifax(the reserves were in), and 2 to Franklin County(plus a special teams touchdown). I thought the defense looked great when I sat them in the Charlottesville game. And they are still young. I think 4 Senior are starting on defense.

I think the only quality defense Glass has faced is Charlottesville, and it looked like they could've pulled away from them if they didn't make so many mistakes.

Looks like they used the Halifax and the Franklin county games to get Maccallum comfortable at quarterback. He struggled in the Charlottesville game, but played very well in the last two games. He went 12-18 for 230 yards last week vs. Franklin county. He just had some first game jitters. Once the game slows down for him I think he will perform well. He'll have his first big test vs Heritage next Friday.
Charlottesville has a quality D?

I know it's a free board but we'd love to keep our injury report in house if possible. Don't want other teams attacking our guys based on an injury a player may or may not have. Thanks in advance BKP.

I know it's a free board but we'd love to keep our injury report in house if possible. Don't want other teams attacking our guys based on an injury a player may or may not have. Thanks in advance BKP.
You all act like you don't know each other ? Does BKPride a student at that school?

I would disagree. I don't think their defense is any bigger or faster than it has been the last couple years. The question is are they a better defense...and can they stop the run against a really good team. The tough thing to deal with is that a lot of the starters won't have any meaningful playing time in the 2nd half all year unless Courtland or JM improve at some point and give them a game. You hate to have your first real test in a playoff game. EV is a team that's in great shape physically, so hopefully not getting a lot of 2nd half reps doesn't hurt them.

You all act like you don't know each other ? Does BKPride a student at that school?
[/QUOTE]

We have not met Hammy. I think BKP knows who I am but he hasn't introduced himself to me. Which is fine BTW, I have no issue with him keeping his identity on the low if he so chooses. He brings a lot to the VAPreps table. In this instance, more than us coaches would like to be on the table.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT