ADVERTISEMENT

My 4A top ten

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
I have some adjustments that some probably won’t agree with but it’s my gut instinct and my opinion....
East:
1. Monacan
2. Eastern View
3. Dinwiddie
4. Lafayette
5. Lake Taylor
6. Louisa
7. Kings Fork
8. Huguenot
9. Midlothian
10. Courtland

West:
1. Blacksburg
2. Glass
3. Sherando
4. Loudoun County
5. GW
6. Salem
7. Kettle Run
8. Pulaski
9. Woodgrove
10. Jefferson Forest

Monacan got a nice grind it out win. Beat us at our own game. They didnt do much offensively in the second half, but played the run well. Monacan makes some mistakes that could hurt them in the po's but a good team. Still my pick to win 4b, but the Dinwiddie win over Petersburg is eye opening. Petersburg gave us fits in our scrimmage. They have 4 d-1 talented players and it looks like Dinwiddie decimated them. Petersburg scored 2 4th quarter tds. Region B going to be nasty again.

Last edited:
Kings Fork loses 6-0 to 2-6 Lakeland and top 10?
Absolutely. Why would I drop Kings Fork and still have a Courtland on there. KF is capable of beating possibly 5 out of those top ten. So how about posting your top ten....?

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Monacan got a nice grind it out win. Beat us at our own game. They didnt do much offensively in the second half, but played the run well. Monacan makes some mistakes that could hurt them in the po's but a good team. Still my pick to win 4b, but the Dinwiddie win over Petersburg is eye opening. Petersburg gave us fits in our scrimmage. They have 4 d-1 talented players and it looks like Dinwiddie decimated them. Petersburg scored 2 4th quarter tds. Region B going to be nasty again.

Well, I will take it. Good game coach, it was like a flashback to the mid 90's the way the game was played. Not sure how I feel about it. The one thing I will say is we can play about 3 different styles and win. We just can't figure out which one we want to stick to from week to week. I am STUNNED we did not take one vertical shot down the field at all. I have never seen that EVER from us. I am happy with the way we contained your TB and Payoute. Jamon Battle had a few nice catches but he was 65lbs and 8 inches taller than our corner so I don't know what to do about that lol. I certainly think both teams got better from that game. Bird is definitely a top 4 team in class 5B. It just holds less weight bc of how good HSHS ultimately is. Curious as to where you think we need work as you mentioned some things jeopardizing our chances? I don't disagree, just wanted to see what your points of emphasis would be. I think we have a baaad habit of taking our foot of the gas the last 2 seasons when we get an early lead. Our offense moved the ball in the 2nd half it just never amounted to any points which is sometimes problematic for us also. But All in all I am happy with how we played the run. If you beat us passing the ball the then GOD BLESS!

Reactions: LancerDad
That KF loss is unexplainable. They are underperforming. Still think they are talented enough to do something but you may be right. But they are probably top 10 in the east for sure.
Confuses me too. They may have two of the best dt's in class 4. Something seems to be amiss. Maybe @ForksUp can shed some light. Hes always straight up!

Reactions: mbonape1
Well, I will take it. Good game coach, it was like a flashback to the mid 90's the way the game was played. Not sure how I feel about it. The one thing I will say is we can play about 3 different styles and win. We just can't figure out which one we want to stick to from week to week. I am STUNNED we did not take one vertical shot down the field at all. I have never seen that EVER from us. I am happy with the way we contained your TB and Payoute. Jamon Battle had a few nice catches but he was 65lbs and 8 inches taller than our corner so I don't know what to do about that lol. I certainly think both teams got better from that game. Bird is definitely a top 4 team in class 5B. It just holds less weight bc of how good HSHS ultimately is. Curious as to where you think we need work as you mentioned some things jeopardizing our chances? I don't disagree, just wanted to see what your points of emphasis would be. I think we have a baaad habit of taking our foot of the gas the last 2 seasons when we get an early lead. Our offense moved the ball in the 2nd half it just never amounted to any points which is sometimes problematic for us also. But All in all I am happy with how we played the run. If you beat us passing the ball the then GOD BLESS!
Good job Chiefs! Yes, you contained our run game quite well. Honestly, we struggle passing, so we knew we had to run. Your lbs are fast and fundementally sound. Not sure what to tell youbas I thought we could pound your middle and failed miserably. I think you tend to be undisciplined at times and lose focus. This may be a coaching issue, because there was a lot of extra jawing. We were guilty too. Snyder is a beast, but dont think he can run on EV's or Dinwiddies huge d lines up the middle. Rpo's will give them fits. Good luck the rest of the season.

Here's mine:

East - I don't know much about this side of the state, but from what I've seen it seems like anyone outside the top 6 will be a long shot for the state title, whereas everyone in the top 6 would play each other very close.
1. Lafayette
2. Dinwiddie
3. Monacan
4. Lake Taylor
5. Louisa
6. Eastern View
7. Midlothian
8. Huguenot
9. Courtland
10. Kings Fork

West
1. Blacksburg
2. Sherando
3. E.C. Glass
4. Woodgrove
5. Salem
6. Jefferson Forest
7. G.W. Danville
8. Kettle Run
9. Loudoun County
10. Pulaski County

Woodgrove is about to surprise some people in a couple weeks.

Absolutely. Why would I drop Kings Fork and still have a Courtland on there. KF is capable of beating possibly 5 out of those top ten. So how about posting your top ten....?
No, I don’t do rankings or predictions involving Lafayette, publicly. Bad luck!!

Reactions: OCBoy and Louisadad
Kings fork played last night without there starting qb who got hurt last week against Indian River...... Penalties and turnovers lost the game for them lastnight.. There defense didnt give up 100 total yards but they still took the L, They will play alot better next week against Deep Creek who my Nansemond River Warriors destroyed last night....

Reactions: OCBoy and LancerDad
I have some adjustments that some probably won’t agree with but it’s my gut instinct and my opinion....
East:
1. Monacan
2. Eastern View
3. Dinwiddie
4. Lafayette
5. Lake Taylor
6. Louisa
7. Kings Fork
8. Huguenot
9. Midlothian
10. Courtland

West:
1. Blacksburg
2. Glass
3. Sherando
4. Loudoun County
5. GW
6. Salem
7. Kettle Run
8. Pulaski
9. Woodgrove
10. Jefferson Forest

Sherando
Dinwiddie
Blacksburg
Monacan
Louisa
Lafayette
EV
Glass
LT
Woodgrove
Next in: Salem, KF
I still have Sherando maintaining my number 1 spot but a strong showing by Dinwiddie against Hopewell next week may leap frog them to number 1 on my board. Also, welcome back Salem who seems to be starting to click at the right part of the season like usual.

@OCBoy would you mind listing your statewide 4a list?

Last edited:
@Smallfry2015, you trying to say something? I must be slow, because I have no clue what you are trying to say in your two post. Good job @OCBoy. I may not totally agree with you, but I know you put some work into it and most importantly its your top ten.
Actually I just throw this together rather fast to garner conversation and get people to post

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Sherando
Dinwiddie
Blacksburg
Monacan
Louisa
Lafayette
EV
Glass
Woodgrove
Salem
Next in: KF
I still have Sherando maintaining my number 1 spot but a strong showing by Dinwiddie against Hopewell next week may leap frog them to number 1 on my board. Also, welcome back Salem who seems to be starting to click at the right part of the season like usual.

@OCBoy would you mind listing your statewide 4a list?
1. Blacksburg
2. Monacan
3. Sherando
4. Lafayette
5. Eastern View
6. Dinwiddie
7. EC Glass
8. Louisa
9. Lake Taylor
10. Loudoun County

Reactions: mbonape1
I'm certainly not saying any rankings are wrong, but not being so accustomed to 4a to know, why is Loudoun ranked so low by everyone? Must be something to it since everyone has them low. Arent they undefeated?

Reactions: mbonape1 and OCBoy
Kings fork played last night without there starting qb who got hurt last week against Indian River...... Penalties and turnovers lost the game for them lastnight.. There defense didnt give up 100 total yards but they still took the L, They will play alot better next week against Deep Creek who my Nansemond River Warriors destroyed last night....
@Lafayette this is why I have them in my top ten. They were missing the qb.....

Reactions: Lafayette
Confuses me too. They may have two of the best dt's in class 4. Something seems to be amiss. Maybe @ForksUp can shed some light. Hes always straight up!

Offensively when you lose guys like Darren Butts, Cherrod Joe, Sam Dunn, Justin German, and Nasir Davis, you're going to take a step back. When you add that you're lose 3/5 of your starting offensive line, it's not the best recipe. Lastly, you lose your play call and offensive coordinator from last year. A lot of moving parts, turns out causes a major step back.

Defensively, they're great. But they can get worn down with the offense playing so poorly.

They need to continue to grow as a team. Can't let that loss set them back because they will lose to Deep Creek also. Oscar Smith would be nothing short of a miracle right now, although Indian River is kicking Smith in the throat right now.

I'd say a playoff win will end the year on a high note. Anymore is icing on the cake.

Last edited:
I'm certainly not saying any rankings are wrong, but not being so accustomed to 4a to know, why is Loudoun ranked so low by everyone? Must be something to it since everyone has them low. Arent they undefeated?

I kinda asked the same thing last week. It’s their weak strength of schedule that keeps them out of the discussions. If LC can really show up and beat Woodgrove this week, I really think that theyre playoff potential and ranking will jump up with everyone here.

The low ranking for me stems from them not playing anyone somewhat good. Though, depending on the game coming up for them against Woodgrove, my opinion may change.

Reactions: Tom Potter
Makes sense. I dont know their schedule, just saw them low with a 0 in the loss column and figured it had to be something like that

I kinda asked the same thing last week. It’s their weak strength of schedule that keeps them out of the discussions. If LC can really show up and beat Woodgrove this week, I really think that theyre playoff potential and ranking will jump up with everyone here.

Beating Woodgrove absolutely would change my perception.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT