OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
1. Highland Springs
2. LC Bird
3. Hermitage
4. Indian River
5. Stone Bridge

Nah! Everybody though Bird was destined to finally be dethroned last year. They are number one again.

Nah! Everybody though Bird was destined to finally be dethroned last year. They are number one again.
The season is nearing it's beginning! It's going to be fun. I think Highland Springs and Bird are the top 2. You can flip a coin on who is #1. HSHS is loaded to the gills and I am sure Bird is too! Remember, HSHS's only loss last year was to Bird by 2points with a come from behind win by kicking a field goal with about 1:20 left in the game. HS was driving and was about to score with the clock running down but Bird intercepted that pass that sealed the game for them. HS could've probably should've won that game. It is what it is, it was what it was!! Last years 11-1 Springer team returns nearly everybody with some good transfers and not to mention some coming up from the 10-0 JV team.
I know about HS and I think Bird is returning a bunch too! They always have great athletes show up that you didn't hear about last year too!
Hermitage will be very good too. HSHS vs Hermitage Aug. 28th to kick off this season. It should be a doosie!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Well, I certainly can't argue with you. That's strong information. I believe that the Springers have a slightly less challenging schedule than Bird, for what's that is worth.

I guess we wait to see if they get to meet in the playoffs. I would expect that to happen. It would be nice to see them knock heads during the regular season. And then meet for the rubber match in the playoffs.

Reactions: springer76
Well, I certainly can't argue with you. That's strong information. I believe that the Springers have a slightly less challenging schedule than Bird, for what's that is worth.

I guess we wait to see if they get to meet in the playoffs. I would expect that to happen. It would be nice to see them knock heads during the regular season. And then meet for the rubber match in the playoffs.
It would be nice to play Bird in the reg. Season. HS's staff chose to go east this year and is playing a strong Norview team in week 2, August 4th in Norfolk, that finished 11-2 last season. they were eliminated in the playoffs to Salem . Then HS plays MBK and Hanover... This is not a weak start. Then contend with Atlee, LD and Henrico before Varina. None of them will be slouches this year.

It would be nice to play Bird in the reg. Season. HS's staff chose to go east this year and is playing a strong Norview team in week 2, August 4th in Norfolk, that finished 11-2 last season. they were eliminated in the playoffs to Salem . Then HS plays MBK and Hanover... This is not a weak start. Then contend with Atlee, LD and Henrico before Varina. None of them will be slouches this year.

With all due respect Norview went 11-2 last year by playing no one in OOD (Hickory 1-9, Huguenot 1-10, and Gloucester 1-9) They went 6-1 in district losing to us 35-0 and then beat by Salem. Norview for having a good season last year record wise won every game they were suppose to win a season ago. They are talking a big game this year, but HS should beat them easily. Also, HS had a chance to play Lake Taylor but chose Norview instead we were really trying to make that game happen and we wanted to come there first. Too bad Mr. Bailey couldn't get it done.

Reactions: springer76
To quote Ric Flair, "to be the man, you gotta beat the man".

Highland Springs is in great position to do big things this year, there is no question about that but LC Bird is Bird. They have the talent just like the Springers, they have a ton of returning starters as does Highland Springs. The edge however I give to Bird is in the coaching... Bedwell is a proven winner in the playoffs.

Bottom line, whether it's Highland Springs, Hermitage, Atlee, Varina, etc... If you are going to win in 5A in November and December, you're going to have to go through Bird but until a team does them in when it counts, Bird belongs at the top.

Just as a side note, I don't know that I expect Meadowbrook to their typical tough self. I feel that the coaching lapse, followed by a new coach will hold them back this season. By the time HS get's them, they may have found their sea legs and be a force to be reconnected with, though. I kind of hope not for selfish reasons. We close the regular season against them!

The season is nearing it's beginning! It's going to be fun. I think Highland Springs and Bird are the top 2. You can flip a coin on who is #1. HSHS is loaded to the gills and I am sure Bird is too! Remember, HSHS's only loss last year was to Bird by 2points with a come from behind win by kicking a field goal with about 1:20 left in the game. HS was driving and was about to score with the clock running down but Bird intercepted that pass that sealed the game for them. HS could've probably should've won that game. It is what it is, it was what it was!! Last years 11-1 Springer team returns nearly everybody with some good transfers and not to mention some coming up from the 10-0 JV team.
I know about HS and I think Bird is returning a bunch too! They always have great athletes show up that you didn't hear about last year too!
Hermitage will be very good too. HSHS vs Hermitage Aug. 28th to kick off this season. It should be a doosie!
Yeah, Bird and Highland Springs return virtually everything. I feel like Hermitage may be a step behind them, but we'll find out real soon as the Springers play the Panthers right out of the gate. On paper this team should be better than the last three years, but it's all about chemistry. The three toughest teams in the state may all be in the Richmond area which means there's going to be an epic clash in the quarterfinals. I have no problem with someone making HS #1. I don't think there's a law that says you must defer to last year's state champion.

With all due respect Norview went 11-2 last year by playing no one in OOD (Hickory 1-9, Huguenot 1-10, and Gloucester 1-9) They went 6-1 in district losing to us 35-0 and then beat by Salem. Norview for having a good season last year record wise won every game they were suppose to win a season ago. They are talking a big game this year, but HS should beat them easily. Also, HS had a chance to play Lake Taylor but chose Norview instead we were really trying to make that game happen and we wanted to come there first. Too bad Mr. Bailey couldn't get it done.
Yeah, I looked at Norview's schedule last year and a decent team should have went 9-1 against that schedule. Not knocking them, they took care of business in the games they should have won, but they didn't really have a signature win among those 9 wins. I thing Highland Springs handles them. The other side of that coin, however, is Meadowbrook. Meadowbrook might have been the best 5-5 team the state has ever seen. Brutal schedule and 3 last second losses.

I would've like to see that match up too!

Yeah, I looked at Norview's schedule last year and a decent team should have went 9-1 against that schedule. Not knocking them, they took care of business in the games they should have won, but they didn't really have a signature win among those 9 wins. I thing Highland Springs handles them. The other side of that coin, however, is Meadowbrook. Meadowbrook might have been the best 5-5 team the state has ever seen. Brutal schedule and 3 last second losses.

So, you don't think the new coach screwing up and being sent away, plus the somewhat late hiring of a second new coach will have any affect? I disagree.

So, you don't think the new coach screwing up and being sent away, plus the somewhat late hiring of a second new coach will have any affect? I disagree.
I didn't say that. I know nothing about the new coach. I'm just saying that last year's Meadowbrook team was far better than what one might think based on their 5-5 record. One thing's for sure, Meadowbrook will be battle tested in a hurry this year. Bird and Springs.

I could see this season being a near repeat of last year for the Monarchs. Tough schedule with a record that doesn't indicate just how good they are.

Meant no offense, Matt. Just making the point that there has been a lot of turmoil over there. The new coach got Amelia very competitive. But Amelia and that level of competition are leap years away from 5a and the level of competition Meadowbrook faces. I believe he will get there, but it will take a few years. I expect to see just what everyone is saying. Another year of could of, would of, should of!

1. L.C. Bird
2. Highland Springs
3. Indian River
4. Hermitage
5. Massaponax

I almost put Indian River at #2, they're my favorite to make a deep postseason run in 5A, but still would like to see how the talent unfolds when they actually hit the field to start the season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT