ADVERTISEMENT

My Class 4 Top 5, Who you got?

Saw Tusky on film. I do not think they are close to a top 5. Athletically I do not think they come close Louisa and other teams.

You guys need to enlighten me. Why is Glass so much better this year than last year? What warrants them being rated above others?

Reactions: rainman17
You guys need to enlighten me. Why is Glass so much better this year than last year? What warrants them being rated above others?

Major Contributors from last year are Seniors
Healthy
Well Coached
Great Offensive and Defensive lines
Better Receivers
Dresean Kendrick is Faster, Stronger and more accurate passer(State Player of the year caliber)
Deeper at Running back
Defense is more sound in the Front 7
More formations and personnel changes on offense
Holden Fretz returning 4D Defensive player of the year
Jadan Merriman(DE) is healthy and leads the team in sacks

I'll stop there...

Healthy
Well Coached
Better Receivers
Dresean Kendrick is Faster, Stronger and more accurate passer(State Player of the year caliber)
Deeper at Running back

I'll stop there...
They beat a really good GW Team soundly at their home

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Healthy
Well Coached
Better Receivers
Deeper at Running back

I'll stop there...

Hate to play football math, but Beat a Franklin County team 34-7 that lost to Salem by 6.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Healthy
Well Coached
Better Receivers
Deeper at Running back

I'll stop there...
Do you think they will be Heritage this year?

Do you think they will be Heritage this year?
Rivalry game so anything can happen but I’d be surprised if it’s close. Glass is on a collision course to Williams Stadium in December. Heritage may be there too but I got Glass beating Heritage soundly.

I don’t think Glass is “so much better” this year than last year but They do return 17 starters from an 11-2 regional finalist team last season. That’s why everyone is so high on them IMO. Including @matthew328826

Don't ya think you might have a higher opinion of Massaponax since Louisa barely beat them, and that win is something to hang your hat on to rank Louisa 1st?

@Gunz41 I would be saying the same if we never played Ponax. Louisa returns everyone from last year except Smith, and the secondary is better and deeper this year. I've seen Ponax play a lot over the last few years, and last year's team (before the injuries) and this year's team are their best teams ever. Their defense had been pretty suspect, but this year's defense brings them over the edge. Louisa happened to catch them at the right time, for both teams. I think Ponax will smack us next year though.

Last edited:
Glass isn’t really being tested, Seminole is down IMO, you have he city schools competing for supremacy and LCA flanking right behind them. I do think they are very talented but I don’t see them as the bell cow carrying the crown for 4A yet.

REGION D as a whole isn’t that impressive this year to me, it’s merely a glass and Salem showdown looming unless somebody crashes the Party or an injury happens.

Louisa is a contender as they’ve been there late the last 3 years and made it to the dance once. They have the pieces like glass to make a run and have the best win in class 4 right now.

Broad Run and Tusky don’t know much about but if BR is back to how they looked when they were in division 4 in 08/09 they’re going to be a force to be reckoned with. They dominated some dominant Amherst teams and then came Briar woods. Tusky play BR tough so they get some love from me but they might not be formidable.

Lake Taylor seems to be down but that just means there’s another 757 team/program that will fill the void if this is true.

Salem hasn’t really shown me much and I’ll know what i need to know when martinsburg comes to town. They have players and are better then the rest of region d with the exception of glass.

Eastern View just knows how to win, and they are well coached expect them to make some noise and be a player in region B.

Dinwiddie is similar to EV in they have a program in place and some players who can make things happen but they aren’t a team anyone wants to play come playoffs especially on the road.

Top 5:
Broad Run
Louisa
Glass
EV
Salem/Tusky tied

Glass isn’t really being tested, Seminole is down IMO, you have he city schools competing for supremacy and LCA flanking right behind them. I do think they are very talented but I don’t see them as the bell cow carrying the crown for 4A yet.

REGION D as a whole isn’t that impressive this year to me, it’s merely a glass and Salem showdown looming unless somebody crashes the Party or an injury happens.

Louisa is a contender as they’ve been there late the last 3 years and made it to the dance once. They have the pieces like glass to make a run and have the best win in class 4 right now.

Broad Run and Tusky don’t know much about but if BR is back to how they looked when they were in division 4 in 08/09 they’re going to be a force to be reckoned with. They dominated some dominant Amherst teams and then came Briar woods. Tusky play BR tough so they get some love from me but they might not be formidable.

Lake Taylor seems to be down but that just means there’s another 757 team/program that will fill the void if this is true.

Salem hasn’t really shown me much and I’ll know what i need to know when martinsburg comes to town. They have players and are better then the rest of region d with the exception of glass.

Eastern View just knows how to win, and they are well coached expect them to make some noise and be a player in region B.

Dinwiddie is similar to EV in they have a program in place and some players who can make things happen but they aren’t a team anyone wants to play come playoffs especially on the road.

Top 5:
Broad Run
Louisa
Glass
EV
Salem/Tusky tied
Hope all is well friend. I really enjoy you on this board.

Top 5:
Broad Run
Louisa
Glass
EV
Salem/Tusky tied
Great post! If Broad Run's RB didn't transfer out, they'd be the clear cut favorite IMO.

Reactions: rainman17
Same to you definitely hope we can catch up sometime this football or hoops season. Enjoyed watching the GW boys take the crown in hoops, had a friend who was an assistant so I rode the ride with them.
Yes sir without question. Hopefully my boys can repeat this year. It will be a tall task with them losing as much length as they did but this year’s GW team will be very quick, lockdown defensively, and can really shoot the 3 ball. Halifax is going to be very good and is my 4th pick to win 4A in basketball after GW, Louisa and Monacan. I hope we can bring another one back to Danville, we’ll see! Coach Parker has those boys right!

Glass and Louisa was close in my opinion. In fact, when looking at them in preseason, I put Glass 2 and Louisa 4. Was thinking around 5 or 6 for Louisa, but after studying them more in-depth and speaking with Coach Patrick in August, it hit me that it's a team that can win it all.

Difference for me in putting Glass so high - nearly No. 1 and ahead of other teams (Tusky, Broad Run, Louisa, Salem, EView, etc.) - was Kendrick at QB. They returned an awful lot and to me he's the type of player that can carry them through a la Jabari Blake for Heritage-Lynchburg in Class 3 last year.

Now, if Tim Baldwin doesn't leave Broad Run for Patriot as one poster mentioned, that backfield combo would've been supremely lethal for the Spartans and I would've given them a real shot. They have a real chance even without him, too.

Still, as it stands, there are about 6 to 8 teams in my eyes that can win it all in Class 4. That division - along with Class 2 (which I've nicknamed the chaos division) - are the most fascinating to me at this point. Both rather unpredictable.

Hate to play football math, but Beat a Franklin County team 34-7 that lost to Salem by 6.
Hmmm that math does not work. Blacksburg beat Salem soundly couple yrs ago then Salem beat them the second time. each game is different and it also depends on how the teams matchup with each other. Plenty of examples were team A beats B and B beats C then C beats A

Reactions: lyhsports
Hmmm that math does not work. Blacksburg beat Salem soundly couple yrs ago then Salem beat them the second time. each game is different and it also depends on how the teams matchup with each other. Plenty of examples were team A beats B and B beats C then C beats A
Definitely about matchups, but I thought I’d throw it out there lol

Reactions: SFUWO
The transitive property is a really bad crutch in sports arguments and really hard to actually quantify. Practically everyone feels Glass is #1 in 4D and it's not because they beat a team worse than Salem did.

Reactions: SFUWO and lyhsports
Salem is like a boat that keeps springing leaks. IAt the start of the season the offensive line was the leak. That seems to be patched but now the secondary is leaking. The passing game looks good sporadically with some games being very efficient and others not so much. If they ever get patched and efficient they might be quite competitive with elite teams

Reactions: SFUWO
liberty bealton needs to get some talk as they are currently 6-0 and the likely winner of their district. I’m unfamiliar with this team but in the past they were a big physical running team, that played solid defense. They might not be better than broad run and tusky but they should be deserving of the talk as their record indicates they’re a formidable opponent.

Liberty isn't very good. They struggled against a heavily depleted Sherando team that was without its starting QB, top WR, several starting DBs, and others. Sherando's kicker (who only recently picked up football) had to play defense due to how many guys were out, and Liberty still had issues moving the ball at times.

I haven't seen anything from any Northwestern District teams that would lead me to believe they could compete with Broad Run, much less the best teams from other regions (note: I haven't seen Handley play yet).

liberty bealton needs to get some talk as they are currently 6-0 and the likely winner of their district. I’m unfamiliar with this team but in the past they were a big physical running team, that played solid defense. They might not be better than broad run and tusky but they should be deserving of the talk as their record indicates they’re a formidable opponent.

Simple answer:

- Their opponents are bad. Real bad. 11-26 between 6 teams bad (that's a 2-4 team on average)

- No wins against a team better than .500

- 5 point win over Courtland (1 win team), 10 point win over 3-3 King George, 11 point win over winless Kettle Run, 7 point win over 3-3 Sherando

6-0 is always nice but when you're talking potential top 5 team and your schedule is that poor you need to be blowing everyone out just about every week. We'll know more in the next 3 weeks as they see James Wood, Millbrook, and Handley all of whom have 5+ wins already.

@Gunz41 I would be saying the same if we never played Ponax. Louisa returns everyone from last year except Smith, and the secondary is better and deeper this year. I've seen Ponax play a lot over the last few years, and last year's team (before the injuries) and this year's team are their best teams ever. Their defense had been pretty suspect, but this year's defense brings them over the edge. Louisa happened to catch them at the right time, for both teams. I think Ponax will smack us next year though.

So then are you saying they are better most days that Louisa? You said caught on right night for both.

Because I think I have seen you say you thought Louisa could beat HS

Reactions: HooSprings
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT