ADVERTISEMENT

My heart... I can't take it

Bell played like it was his first game in a bigger role. Didn't see some wide open guys and one nice pass for a 1st down was dropped. The passing game will be fine.

Heard that hamspear was quick to shake Louisadad's hand after the game last year, but walked away from him this time. I'm not surprised.
This has to be a lie. There is way too much class here for that to have happened.

But I was not there. There are only two sources I will believe on this. Without confirmation from one of them, this is a lie.

Louisa was the better team and they deserved to win. It was an immensely frustrating game from a Sherando fan's perspective, but that's how it goes sometimes. I hope the Lions' season goes well for them.

Next week isn't going to be pretty. Might be 49-0 at halftime. Martinsburg will want revenge and they aren't exactly known for easing up once a game is in hand. Can't really see a scenario where Sherando wins more than 6 games this year unless they improve more than any other Sherando team has over the course of the season.

Their schedule is brutal and this a bad year for them to have a brutal schedule.

I was in the stands for at least 20 minutes after the game, and then I had things I had to tend to after the game , was in the concession stand, never was even out there when Louisa was leaving the field. Wish I would have had the time to meet up with the big guy, actually forgot about it at the end of the game. Would have loved to meet up with him. like I said , best wishes to Louisa, played a great game. But please don't make up unnecessary drama that's not true. I realize classless is par for the course for some people win or lose, but I have nothing against Louisa dad. It was nice meeting him last year.

Reactions: Louisadad
From seeing Sherando's scrimmage and talking to players/parents, I said I would be disappointed if we didn't blow them out, and I am. But our mistakes are easily fixable. One Sherando score was a punt return in the first quarter, and I thought it would do us in. We'll be very good when the fumbles and special teams are cleaned up. Whalen fumbled for the first time of his career when we were about to score in the first half. Just a weird night. A bright spot was the Spotsy transfer tossing big #77 (6' 5" 285 lbs) of Sherando on the ground like a ragdoll on one play. I said he's one of the strongest players on our team and it showed.

Last edited:
Louisa was the better team and they deserved to win. It was an immensely frustrating game from a Sherando fan's perspective, but that's how it goes sometimes. I hope the Lions' season goes well for them.

Next week isn't going to be pretty. Might be 49-0 at halftime. Martinsburg will want revenge and they aren't exactly known for easing up once a game is in hand. Can't really see a scenario where Sherando wins more than 6 games this year unless they improve more than any other Sherando team has over the course of the season.

Their schedule is brutal and this a bad year for them to have a brutal schedule.
Let's not make out Sherando to be that bad. Their lines seemed to have some veterans, Entsminger is good and will be great, the RB #22 is very fast and maybe should've gotten more tosses sooner, and their defense, even the younger guys, were hard nosed and have been in the weight room. They tackled well for the most part, and their secondary saved many would-be big plays. And of course they still have Rivers, he kept me worried all night. Yes they struggled bringing down Bell, but every single team this year will have the same trouble. I see them winning more than six games, losing to Martinsburg but paying Fort Hill back. I think Louisa's defense was just very good, dare I say nasty, for a majority of the game, with the defensive line a very strong part of it. The line dominated a very good North Stafford team at times the same way they did Sherando tonight, and NS put up 56 points last night. Louisa's offense played with first game jitters, especially Bell, but he still played well and made good decisions. He should've let some more passes fly, is still learning the new no-huddle system (that was beginning to really click in the 4th quarter, but Sherando players started cramping up nearly every other play), but at least he didn't force anything, and him taking off guarantees a good two-three yards that normally wouldn't be there because he's a man-child.

Last edited:
I guess as the season plays out we will see how good teams are and who is for real.
I've said it for weeks now, the Lions can pound you. When the backs and QB are bigger than half the OLIne and run like they do, the opponent will wear down. No team can take that beating all night long.

If the Lion Defense can do a decent job, they will win the JD and be a force at playoff time.

We will see....there are no gimme teams in the playoffs. I have a feeling Orange, Powhatan, and Western are going to be a test as well. Time will sort it all out. Good start to the season for the Lions.

We will see....there are no gimme teams in the playoffs. I have a feeling Orange, Powhatan, and Western are going to be a test as well. Time will sort it all out. Good start to the season for the Lions.

I agree. The Lions got a big win last night against a traditionally strong team. The one thing that swayed my pick on this game last night was Hamspears take on Sherando. He kept reminding us of their youth and lack of experience. Hamspear says how he feels and does not sandbag. I trusted his opinion and Hoo's take on the size of Louisa. Great game, but too early to predict the future.

I distinctly remember many discrediting Hanover last year, because they played the same way Louisa does. Time will tell. Congrats Hoos and Louisa Dad. Hamspear hang in there your boys will grow as the season goes on.

Yes Sherando is well coached, as usual, and they have a great program Louisa wants to model itself after. Their special teams are exceptional, nearly won them the game. I wish we had a punter that good, but ours did pretty well, too. Sherando's repeatedly pinned us deep and made Louisa drive 90 yards on the final drive. Sherando also blocked a Lion punt in the second half and recovered it at the Lion goalline. However, Louisa's defense stripped the ball and got it back on the very next play. Just a ton of heart shown by my guys. So I know emotions run high, especially after losses, but making Sherando out to be bad and losing by 49 at halftime is just wrong. They'll be fine.

I was at the game last night - Louisa just flat out man handled Sherando along both fronts. Sherando couldn't block Louisa's defensive line and Louisa's offensive line was driving the Sherando defensive line off the ball. I really cannot remember a time in the last few years I've seeb a Sherando team handled like that. I will say that Louisa is huge across the board! Their offensive line is huge - their qb looked like he went about 260 and they had another running back in the 230-240 range and both guys had some wheels. They had a smaller rb who was a quick, tough runner and a slot wr (#1) who also carried the ball on some sweeps. They had 2 wr's that each looked to be in the 6'3 to 6'5 range. Louisa will give everyone on their schedule a tough time because they have good skill guys who can hurt you on the edge if you load up the box to stop the power run game.

I have heard Sherando is young - so it'll be interesting to see how they progress throughout the season. They definitely do not play a schedule that is conducive to getting the young guys feet wet - but they are without a doubt the most consistent and well coached program in our area which I believe will help in the process - I would love for the new staff we have at Handley to build that same level of consistency.

On a positive note for Sherando - their quarterback looked really good even in the face of constant pressure. Despite the fact they were over matched in the trenches - they had chances to give themselves a two or even three score lead in the second half and just didn't capitalize. You could chalk that up to some inexperience on their part - but I also think a lot of it had to do with the heart and resolve the kids from Loisa played with.

GL to both teams moving forward.

My take after watching game is that Louisa is REALLY good!

Sherando isn't bad by any means though they are young and inexperienced. They're biggest problem is that the schedule is brutal.

Next week at Martinsburg, WV
Two weeks after that at Eastern View
Mid October at 3-time defending Maryland State Champion Fort Hill
End season at Millbrook

That's a rough road schedule for a young team. They will beat everyone else but will need to steal a road win to get to 6 wins. If they get to 6, they will make the playoffs because they will score a ton of bonus points even when they lose.

Well, Louisa is always a good squad but the lumber they bring this year is huge. Really huge. No 4A can stop the offense for 4 quarters. They are simply too big. Talent and skill are nice but this is just pure power. A Defensive Coordinator's nightmare because they simply cannot match up.

Here's the deal. Sherando is a great program and very good. They have a good team. They will do well and make the playoffs. But Louisa fumbled 8 times AND STILL WON. AWAY. Nobody does that. Nobody.

If they lose the JD, the Lions have no one to blame but themselves.

Last edited:
http://www.dailyprogress.com/cville...cle_a7da1a94-6e28-11e6-8afe-cb3fd25a2860.html

And we can talk about Sherando's inexperience all we want, but Louisa's offensive line (one senior, three juniors and a sophomore, two sophomores if you include TE Brandon Smith) and defensive line (besides Ragland, two juniors) are also young and inexperienced. The Lion defense that dominated in impressive fashion as a whole only had about five seniors.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT