ADVERTISEMENT

My proposed realignment - 1A

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
Hi all. I had some fun and did this last year with what I think was a four class setup, but I wanted to try things based on the recent ADM to slot teams into districts based on proximity and size in a six class setup.

I've divided all the schools on the ADM report into six equal classes and developed districts on that. My geography may not be all that great so if I didn't slot a team in a preferred district, I don't have it out for your school and it wasn't intentional. I looked at the map of Virginia and put schools in districts starting with District 1 - 1A in Southwest Virginia to District 8 - 1A which goes into the Eastern Shore.

And you have to play everyone in your district. This makes district champions matter again!

One thing that is different about this time is that the districts aren't of equal size. Also, District 5 - 1A only has three football playing schools so the district champion would get a bye into the second round. Because of this, we would also have a scenario where the #4 Seed in District 6 - 1A would also get a bye.

The top four teams in each district would make the playoffs and would play their partner district in the bi-district round to start the playoffs. It would look something like this:

#1 District 1 - 1A hosts #4 District 2 - 1A
#2 District 2 - 1A hosts #3 District 1 - 1A

#2 District 1 - 1A hosts #3 District 2 - 1A
#1 District 2 - 1A hosts #4 District 1 - 1A

Higher seed hosts but if two teams meet in the third round (Regional Final) and they have the same rankings from bi-district, then the team that would host would be derived from a tiebreaker scenario which would be uniform across the VHSL.

The same format would be the same for Districts 3 thru 8.

Region I would be District 1 - 1A and District 2 - 1A
Region II would be District 3 - 1A and District 4 - 1A
Region III would be District 5 - 1A and District 6 - 1A
Region IV would be District 7 - 1A and District 8 - 1A

So here we go with my little project! And remember, your team has to go somewhere. And if I separated teams that are in the same county or nearby, it wasn't intentional.

Class 1

Region I

District 1 - 1ADistrict 2 - 1A
Thomas WalkerGrundy
Rye CoveHurley
EastsideCouncil
J.I. BurtonHonaker
Twin SpringsHolston
CastlewoodPatrick Henry - GS
HaysiChilhowie
Twin Valley
Northwood

Region II

District 3 - 1ADistrict 4 - 1A
Bland CountyRural Retreat
NarrowsFort Chiswell
GilesGalax
Craig CountyAuburn
Bath CountyEastern Montgomery

Region III

District 5 - 1ADistrict 6 - 1A
Rappahannock CountySussex Central
Buffalo GapBrunswick
Carver College & Career AcademyWilliam Campbell
Galileo MagnetAltavista
Appomattox Regional Gov SchoolCumberland
Parry McCluer
Highland

Region IV

District 7 - 1ADistrict 8 - 1A
King & Queen CentralChincoteague
LancasterNorthampton
NorthumberlandSurry County
RappahannockFranklin
EssexMathews
WestmorelandCharles City County
Colonial BeachWest Point
Middlesex

Last edited:
District 6 is awfully small while District 8 is pretty big. Why not move the Tri-Rivers teams to the same district and bring Franklin and Surry Co. to district 6 with the rest of the Region B schools? And District 5 only has a handful of teams with football

Reactions: Reecesdad
District 6 is awfully small while District 8 is pretty big. Why not move the Tri-Rivers teams to the same district and bring Franklin and Surry Co. to district 6 with the rest of the Region B schools? And District 5 only has a handful of teams with football
Yeah District 5 only has two football playing schools

Reactions: TS69
Hi all. I had some fun and did this last year with what I think was a four class setup, but I wanted to try things based on the recent ADM to slot teams into districts based on proximity and size in a six class setup.

I've divided all the schools on the ADM report into six equal classes and developed districts on that. My geography may not be all that great so if I didn't slot a team in a preferred district, I don't have it out for your school and it wasn't intentional. I looked at the map of Virginia and put schools in districts starting with District 1 - 1A in Southwest Virginia to District 8 - 1A which goes into the Eastern Shore.

And you have to play everyone in your district. This makes district champions matter again!

One thing that is different about this time is that the districts aren't of equal size. Also, District 5 - 1A only has three football playing schools so the district champion would get a bye into the second round. Because of this, we would also have a scenario where the #4 Seed in District 6 - 1A would also get a bye.

The top four teams in each district would make the playoffs and would play their partner district in the bi-district round to start the playoffs. It would look something like this:

#1 District 1 - 1A hosts #4 District 2 - 1A
#2 District 2 - 1A hosts #3 District 1 - 1A

#2 District 1 - 1A hosts #3 District 2 - 1A
#1 District 2 - 1A hosts #4 District 1 - 1A

Higher seed hosts but if two teams meet in the third round (Regional Final) and they have the same rankings from bi-district, then the team that would host would be derived from a tiebreaker scenario which would be uniform across the VHSL.

The same format would be the same for Districts 3 thru 8.

Region I would be District 1 - 1A and District 2 - 1A
Region II would be District 3 - 1A and District 4 - 1A
Region III would be District 5 - 1A and District 6 - 1A
Region IV would be District 7 - 1A and District 8 - 1A

So here we go with my little project! And remember, your team has to go somewhere. And if I separated teams that are in the same county or nearby, it wasn't intentional.

Class 1

Region I

District 1 - 1ADistrict 2 - 1A
Thomas WalkerGrundy
Rye CoveHurley
EastsideCouncil
J.I. BurtonHonaker
Twin SpringsHolston
CastlewoodPatrick Henry - GS
HaysiChilhowie
Twin Valley
Northwood

Region II

District 3 - 1ADistrict 4 - 1A
Bland CountyRural Retreat
NarrowsFort Chiswell
GilesGalax
Craig CountyAuburn
Bath CountyEastern Montgomery

Region III

District 5 - 1ADistrict 6 - 1A
Rappahannock CountySussex Central
Buffalo GapBrunswick
Carver College & Career AcademyWilliam Campbell
Galileo MagnetAltavista
Appomattox Regional Gov SchoolCumberland
Parry McCluer
Highland

Region IV

District 7 - 1ADistrict 8 - 1A
King & Queen CentralChincoteague
LancasterNorthampton
NorthumberlandSurry County
RappahannockFranklin
EssexMathews
WestmorelandCharles City County
Colonial BeachWest Point
Middlesex
Haysi is not open anymore. They combined with Clintwood and Ervinton to make Ridgeview about 5 yrs ago

Haysi is not open anymore. They combined with Clintwood and Ervinton to make Ridgeview about 5 yrs ago
They were listed in the ADM Report for some reason. I didn't know they were no longer open. The only schools I slotted were schools in the ADM Report.

Thanks for letting me know though.

They were listed in the ADM Report for some reason. I didn't know they were no longer open. The only schools I slotted were schools in the ADM Report.

Thanks for letting me know though.
That's crazy that they still have Haysi listed. Lol. Their last football game was in the state semifinals against Essex in 2015 and they closed in 2016 and consolidated to form what is now Ridgeview. I guess the VHSL needs to update because I'm pretty sure the ADM of Haysi has been 0 for six years. Haha

Franklin and Surry would need to move from District 8 to District 6. K&Q should move from District 7 to District 8.

That's crazy that they still have Haysi listed. Lol. Their last football game was in the state semifinals against Essex in 2015 and they closed in 2016 and consolidated to form what is now Ridgeview. I guess the VHSL needs to update because I'm pretty sure the ADM of Haysi has been 0 for six years. Haha
TBH I don't see Haysi on the 3/31/2022 ADM list on the VHSL site.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
The districts look good when looking at a map. Travel times are sometimes longer "as the crow flies" than when you consider main travel routes. For that reason, I would have Auburn and Eastern Montgomery (convenient to I-81) in a district with Craig, Bath, and PM. I'd also have Narrows and Bland with Fort Chiswell and Galax. It's awfully tempting to throw PM in the district with Altavista, Cumberland, and William Campbell, but neither US60 nor US501 is a practical route for team buses.

I love that you avoid hybrid districts, but I don't think it's practical to be that absolute. Eastern Shore will always be a mixed district. William Fleming, Franklin County, and PH-Roanoke are always going to be paired up with smaller schools. Rappahannock County is nowhere near a similarly sized school. In the 4 class alignment that I devised, I managed to create 52 districts, with only 3 mixed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT