ADVERTISEMENT

My Simple Solution for Spring Football

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
Per the VHSL, there will essentially be 10 weeks of play dates. I assume those play dates will include the Playoffs.

I came up with a solution that is unique and could be possible to utilize.

Weeks 1 thru 6 would be the Regular Season consisting of District Only contests. You can schedule out-of-district games only if your district cannot allow for six district games.. Only District Champions would advance to the Playoffs. In the event of a tie in the standings, tiebreaker would be used like record against mutual opponents or points given up against those opponents for example. Power Points may be unnecessary unless they are used to determine home/away in the Playoffs.

Week 7 would be a Bye for non-Playoff teams. This would allow those schools time to schedule three additional games for Weeks 8 thru 10. These games would run parallel with the Playoff Season.

One game would be home, one would be away, and the third would be a neutral-site game in order to split the gate.

Playoff Teams knocked out at the regional level could also schedule one or two games as they are knocked out if they choose to do so.

This gives us a shortened season, a viable playoff structure, and the ability for schools to play as many games as possible.

This also allows for additional revenue to be added to the already stretched athletic budgets of these schools.

Last edited:
What if you are in a 9 or 10 team district? Not sure you can base playoffs on district title. Or there are some schools that play in districts that are multiple classifications?

But I like the opportunity for teams to play some additional games.

What if you are in a 9 or 10 team district? Not sure you can base playoffs on district title. Or there are some schools that play in districts that are multiple classifications?

I considered that. So in a 9/10 team district, there will be teams you can't play. So out of the six games you play, and say, there are multiple teams that finish undefeated that hadn't played each other. The district champion (for representation to the playoffs) would be decided by a tiebreaker that I mentioned or maybe even another tiebreaker.

I didn't think of how to handle districts with multiple classifications. But I aligned the VHSL into four classifications the other day using the updated ADM numbers with 20 schools per region per class (except for my Region 3 in Class 4 which has 19). With that, you could break them down into two districts per region or even four districts per region the future.

I tried copying and pasting into a post but Numbers on a Mac is awful.

ADVERTISEMENT