ADVERTISEMENT

My takeaways from week one.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
It was unusual to see several teams loose that you seldom see get beat. Salem being one, but I think we all agree LCA is a darn good team. Varina loosing might have shocked a few of you folks, but I had read a little about IR and they are destined for a super year. KG is another one that we have grown accustomed to going 10-0. And how about LT taking one on the chin from Poquoson?

MV going down SR. Does this mean SR is becoming a contender again, or is MV going the wrong way?

I believe Glenvar shutting out Galax is a surprise, as is Galax giving up 35.

I’m not really in tune with NOVA ball, but I believe Madison beating Stone Bridge cause a few eyebrows to go up.

Essex totally dominating Sussex Central caught my eye. But Bleeding Navy told me that SC has a new coach.

Speaking of new coaches, Prince George under Coach Hall, (formally 25 years at Manchester), really disappointed me. I know he can’t work miracles over night, or even in three months, but I expected better than the 35-0 shellacking they got from Glen Allen. I know, I know, it takes a while to change the culture, but Coach Hall is a strong disciplinarian, so he probably chased off the bad blood that was poisoning the locker room in his first week. Maybe he just doesn’t have the talent cultivated just yet. I still think they will become a difficult out for most teams.

And I’ll close with two blow outs. One might be considered a typical summer thunderstorm microburst. Rappahannock hanging a 77 to zip beat down on Nandua.
The other was a full blow tornado. Wm Fleming blasted poor Hidden Valley with 90 points to none. Ouch.

Good info DP.

I can’t speak on the whole of the NOVA teams but I’ll say Sherando looks better than they have in recent years. They return 8 starters on offense as well as 8 on defense and picked up a solid transfer RB speedster from Texas who led the team in rushing yards in their 42-0 win last night. It’s also worth noting that Sherando returns a running back who was an all-region pick his sophomore year and took his junior year off.

Last nights win 42-0 win came against Brentsville* who was in class 3 state semi-finals. I put an asterisk next to that because Brentsville lost a lot of talent.

My opinion is that Sherando has a good team and id put them in regional contention but id be hesitant to say they could turn heads outside of that.

Good info DP.

I can’t speak on the whole of the NOVA teams but I’ll say Sherando looks better than they have in recent years. They return 8 starters on offense as well as 8 on defense and picked up a solid transfer RB speedster from Texas who led the team in rushing yards in their 42-0 win last night. It’s also worth noting that Sherando returns a running back who was an all-region pick his sophomore year and took his junior year off.

Last nights win 42-0 win came against Brentsville* who was in class 3 state semi-finals. I put an asterisk next to that because Brentsville lost a lot of talent.

My opinion is that Sherando has a good team and id put them in regional contention but id be hesitant to say they could turn heads outside of that.
I agree with what's been said here. Not sure what to make of Brentsville, this year or the last few. They've gone 12-2 over each of the past two seasons but each time they played an actual state contender they got bulldozed. Region 3B has an argument for worst region in the state as far as the level of competition goes (outside of Kettle Run), so beating up on them and some mid Winchester area teams isn't saying much. Sherando should be favored in every game they play in the regular season, but they have a very weak schedule that may not prepare them to face a team like Salem in the playoffs.

Sherando's defense was impressive. The offense had an interception deep in their own territory last night, basically handing Brentsville the ball in the red zone, and the D forced a turnover on downs.

I didn't watch the game but Sherando beat Tuscarora 20-7 in a scrimmage, a team I know many had in the state semi-finals. A scrimmage is a scrimmage obviously, but playing with a team like that has to be a confidence booster.

On another note, Handley has an impressive freshman QB and a lot of quick guys. Not sure how much size they have though.

It was unusual to see several teams loose that you seldom see get beat. Salem being one, but I think we all agree LCA is a darn good team. Varina loosing might have shocked a few of you folks, but I had read a little about IR and they are destined for a super year. KG is another one that we have grown accustomed to going 10-0. And how about LT taking one on the chin from Poquoson?

MV going down SR. Does this mean SR is becoming a contender again, or is MV going the wrong way?

I’m not really in tune with NOVA ball, but I believe Madison beating Stone Bridge cause a few eyebrows to go up.

Essex totally dominating Sussex Central caught my eye. But Bleeding Navy told me that SC has a new coach.

Speaking of new coaches, Prince George under Coach Hall, (formally 25 years at Manchester), really disappointed me. I know he can’t work miracles over night, or even in three months, but I expected better than the 35-0 shellacking they got from Glen Allen. I know, I know, it takes a while to change the culture, but Coach Hall is a strong disciplinarian, so he probably chased off the bad blood that was poisoning the locker room in his first week. Maybe he just doesn’t have the talent cultivated just yet. I still think they will become a difficult out for most teams.

And I’ll close with two blow outs. One might be considered a typical summer thunderstorm microburst. Rappahannock hanging a 77 to zip beat down on Nandua.
The other was a full blow tornado. Wm Fleming blasted poor Hidden Valley with 90 points to none. Ouch.

Salem loses constantly in week 1. They schedule so incredibly poorly.

Salem loses constantly in week 1. They schedule so incredibly poorly.
There are a lot of teams who would/should trade a possible week one loss for the success Salem has achieved through the years. Win or lose playing tough ood opponents pays dividends down the road; however, I certainly understand a fans desire to have a fairly certain win in the first game. I know two of Dinwiddie's ood opponents are very good and we will be starting a new QB in the first game next year. It's not going to hurt my feelings if our opening opponent is a cupcake.

Last edited:
For what it's worth Salem has only recently struggled in their first game. 2023-2024 2 losses to LCA, 2021-2022 2 losses to Martinsburg, 2020 win over Blacksburg (COVID), 2015-2019 4-1 against Amherst, and 2013-2014 2 wins over Franklin County. In opening games prior to realignment the Spartans dominated Lord Botetourt eight straight years (2005-2012). Salem's overall record in openers for the past twenty years is 15-5. I get it @1MoreHokie. I would not be pleased with a four game losing streak in openers. Who are the Spartans opening up with next season?

I think Hokie is joking. Good luck to the Spartans this year. Sherando is pretty good. Saw them at Loudoun Valley stay locked up 0-0 with the 1’s and dominate the 2’s. Tuscarora’s 1’s beat them 7-0 and then the Warriors 2’s did their thing. Future is bright at SHS and I am a Rohrbaugh fan.

Loudoun County had a great win vs Woodgrove. County has some dudes. Tuscarora has been without their starting QB since the Stone Bridge scrimmage and the waxed Heritage. John Champe shut down a really explosive Briar Woods team and won as time expired and BW missed a field goal. Broad Run beat Riverside in OT as RHS missed a field goal.

Fun stuff happening in NOVA week one.

I think Hokie is joking. Good luck to the Spartans this year. Sherando is pretty good. Saw them at Loudoun Valley stay locked up 0-0 with the 1’s and dominate the 2’s. Tuscarora’s 1’s beat them 7-0 and then the Warriors 2’s did their thing. Future is bright at SHS and I am a Rohrbaugh fan.

Loudoun County had a great win vs Woodgrove. County has some dudes. Tuscarora has been without their starting QB since the Stone Bridge scrimmage and the waxed Heritage. John Champe shut down a really explosive Briar Woods team and won as time expired and BW missed a field goal. Broad Run beat Riverside in OT as RHS missed a field goal.

Fun stuff happening in NOVA week one.
I fully understood @1MoreHokie tongue and cheek statement. He just peaked my interest in the actual data. Since Dinwiddie and Salem are renewing their series from 2017-2018 and the Generals other scheduled opponent is a top shelf team I was expressing my hope that Salem was not our opening opponent next year

I don’t think the schedules have been fully worked out yet. Still a lot of boxes to check before the AD’s can work it out.

I hope which ever year that Salem comes to town that you can finally make the trip down here to Dinwiddie Mike. I will tell you this though Mike, you will want to watch the game from our side. There is access for your scooter to the visitors side, but no elevated spot for scooters and chairs. We do have a decent area on our side to watch the game, and it’s close to the Press Box, which is our hub of activity.

Barring a major downturn in the economy, the CIP funds a $3.4 mil stadium upgrade starting in 2029. A big part of that plan focuses on our visitors side. Included are complete new stands, a new access road and visitor parking area, a concession and restroom facility, and a visitor’s field house.
There are some improvement planned for the home field side, but the primary purpose is to upgrade our visitors side.

I agree with what's been said here. Not sure what to make of Brentsville, this year or the last few. They've gone 12-2 over each of the past two seasons but each time they played an actual state contender they got bulldozed. Region 3B has an argument for worst region in the state as far as the level of competition goes (outside of Kettle Run), so beating up on them and some mid Winchester area teams isn't saying much. Sherando should be favored in every game they play in the regular season, but they have a very weak schedule that may not prepare them to face a team like Salem in the playoffs.

Sherando's defense was impressive. The offense had an interception deep in their own territory last night, basically handing Brentsville the ball in the red zone, and the D forced a turnover on downs.

I didn't watch the game but Sherando beat Tuscarora 20-7 in a scrimmage, a team I know many had in the state semi-finals. A scrimmage is a scrimmage obviously, but playing with a team like that has to be a confidence booster.

On another note, Handley has an impressive freshman QB and a lot of quick guys. Not sure how much size they have though.
Sherando starters played Tusc. To a 7-7 tie in the scrimmage , JV and back ups scored the other 2 Td’s . Brentsville is down this year , between transfers out and graduation, so it’s really hard to measure the improvement of Sherando just yet. The RB ( Foster ) that was all region from two years ago didn’t play the other night. If they can get him and the “Texas “ kid on the field at the same time , it could be tough stopping them. One thing for sure is Sherando can run the ball well. I would say up here Handley will be a force also, they have a massive Oline and Dline, one being a Wake Forest commit.

Sherando starters played Tusc. To a 7-7 tie in the scrimmage , JV and back ups scored the other 2 Td’s . Brentsville is down this year , between transfers out and graduation, so it’s really hard to measure the improvement of Sherando just yet. The RB ( Foster ) that was all region from two years ago didn’t play the other night. If they can get him and the “Texas “ kid on the field at the same time , it could be tough stopping them. One thing for sure is Sherando can run the ball well. I would say up here Handley will be a force also, they have a massive Oline and Dline, one being a Wake Forest commit.
I’m really glad to see Sherando back in the mix. And also Handley being relevant. Sounds like another Sat. trip to Handley may be in the cards.

Dinwiddie is one of those bucket list items for me. (Along with Louisa and Handley) I've sat on the opponent's home side when on the road many times. (Cave Spring, Northside, Franklin Co, Blacksburg, LCA, Amherst, to name a few) A lot of facilities don't have accessible accommodations on the visitor's side. I'm sure there are quite a few that don't have accommodations on either side. If I understand it correctly, an older facility that hasn't had renovations to the stadium don't have to comply with the ADA standards. If they make renovations then they have to have make accommodations as part of the upgrade. Generally, they are on the home side, which is completely understandable. I have never had any issues with sitting on the opponent's side. I've met a lot of very nice people at away stadiums. I think of myself as a diplomat on assignment.

It seems like when Salem starts a new series they always seem to host the first year. IDK if that's just a coincidence, but it seems recently that has been the case. Either way, I'd be delighted to make that trip if it works with my buddy's schedule. Sitting close to the press box seems like the place to be in Dinwiddie on a Fri night.

Dinwiddie is one of those bucket list items for me. (Along with Louisa and Handley) I've sat on the opponent's home side when on the road many times. (Cave Spring, Northside, Franklin Co, Blacksburg, LCA, Amherst, to name a few) A lot of facilities don't have accessible accommodations on the visitor's side. I'm sure there are quite a few that don't have accommodations on either side. If I understand it correctly, an older facility that hasn't had renovations to the stadium don't have to comply with the ADA standards. If they make renovations then they have to have make accommodations as part of the upgrade. Generally, they are on the home side, which is completely understandable. I have never had any issues with sitting on the opponent's side. I've met a lot of very nice people at away stadiums. I think of myself as a diplomat on assignment.

It seems like when Salem starts a new series they always seem to host the first year. IDK if that's just a coincidence, but it seems recently that has been the case. Either way, I'd be delighted to make that trip if it works with my buddy's schedule. Sitting close to the press box seems like the place to be in Dinwiddie on a Fri night.
Near the press box puts you close to the hospitality food. What more do you need to know!!!

There is one catch Mike, you will be required to Navy Nation colors and gear!

Just kidding of course.

My biggest takeaway is the 804 is as strong as ever with the big names back on top. Highland Springs, LC Bird, Essex and Dinwddie all have the tools to be playing in the second weekend in December. Tee Jay and Armstrong will duke it out and could possibly be playing too. Powhatan, Huguenot, Mataoca, Glen Allen, Hopewell, Herm and Dale are very good football teams. 804 Football is DEEP!

The only game of these that did not surprise me was Madison - they are, after all, a final 4 contender the past few seasons who was playing their season opener at home - and are pre-season #4 in Group 6A (Va Preps)
But it seems that Stone Bridge, especially the past few seasons (please correct if I'm wrong), has started very slowly, but turns it on big time as the season progresses, and is a major threat come post- season.
I their strength of schedule always benefits them (they play two MD teams this season early)

However, I still think Briar Woods will rebound from the opening loss and win a tough region 5D over SB.

Glenvar is pre-season #2 (Va Preps), so not really surprised with the win - but agree with the margin/shutout - wow.

Magna Vista - totally agree - Matt had them #2 pre-season in 3A, just behind LCA - so what is it? Like you said, which one is true?

And Fleming - good grief - seriously - led 70-0 @ halftime - are they THAT good or is HV THAT bad?

My biggest takeaway is the 804 is as strong as ever with the big names back on top. Highland Springs, LC Bird, Essex and Dinwddie all have the tools to be playing in the second weekend in December. Tee Jay and Armstrong will duke it out and could possibly be playing too. Powhatan, Huguenot, Mataoca, Glen Allen, Hopewell, Herm and Dale are very good football teams. 804 Football is DEEP!
Agree, the 804 could probably have 5 teams playing for a state championship in December. They would be awesome. Good luck teams.

Reading some of the comments, there must be serious problems at HV.

Something has been a little off at MV for several years, in my opinion. I’m not sure what, but I sense something.

Yes sir, I guess I am living in the past on Galax. Not so many years ago they were about as tough an out as there is. But no longer. I’ve never been to a game there, but I’ve been to the stadium. I love the way it’s nestled down in a bowl.

I was really shocked that Lake Taylor got soundly beaten by Poquoson. I know that Poquoson is a good team and scrappy as they come, but for LT to darn near be shut out? That veer offense that Coach Sawyer always runs gives opposing teams a fit. I don’t know that this is the case, but even when they were a strong Class 4 team, they struggled getting good numbers to come out for football. He may just not have enough great athletes to execute like he did up to a few years ago.

Thank you as always for posting all the scores and updates. Football season would not be the same without your contributions.

Reading some of the comments, there must be serious problems at HV.

Something has been a little off at MV for several years, in my opinion. I’m not sure what, but I sense something.

Yes sir, I guess I am living in the past on Galax. Not so many years ago they were about as tough an out as there is. But no longer. I’ve never been to a game there, but I’ve been to the stadium. I love the way it’s nestled down in a bowl.

I was really shocked that Lake Taylor got soundly beaten by Poquoson. I know that Poquoson is a good team and scrappy as they come, but for LT to darn near be shut out? That veer offense that Coach Sawyer always runs gives opposing teams a fit. I don’t know that this is the case, but even when they were a strong Class 4 team, they struggled getting good numbers to come out for football. He may just not have enough great athletes to execute like he did up to a few years ago.

Thank you as always for posting all the scores and updates. Football season would not be the same without your contributions.
My guess is, the best of Norfolk is going to Maury now. Kind of like the best of Hampton goes to Phoebus now.

Is Stone Bridge still running some SW or are they all spread now with the new HC? I was surprised to see them get shut out, but Madison is pretty dang good.

Sherando winning like that was eye opening to me. I don’t know brentsville by anything but reputation, but it’s a solid reputation. The warriors get a Jefferson WV team licking their wounds from a 50-0 shellacking by Spring Mills WV, who was a state quarter finalist last year and returns a lot, week one. Jefferson has been pretty decent the last 3 years but I think they’re trending back down, maybe in a big way. I figured this one would be a tossup going into the year but I expect Sherando will handle the cougars in easier fashion than last year. It’s a shame the martinsburg series is kaput. Bulldogs opened up with a DC tomato can Friday, would much rather see Sherando than those matchups.

Handley should be pretty good. They’ve got some good skill kids and an absolutely massive line. Musselman saw something like 80% of their returning snaps transfer out this past season off an already mediocre team. By all rights they should be horrendous this season. Frankly I expected Handley to beat them by more.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Fleming is a good squad but that was one of those "whatever can go wrong will go wrong" games. It was 28-0 when Fleming had their second snap. Much like when Salem got up 70-7 at half on HV, the punter botched multiple punts yielding extremely short field position and Salem had 2 or 3 returns for TDs. Things get out of hand and players can throw in the towel.

That's probably a 60ish point win under more normal circumstances. They said it was 63-0 at half and I'm not sure when the 2s came in for either team but the additional ~30 points probably came in scrimmage-like circumstances. Leftwich, to my knowledge, is not the type to RUTS in such a way.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Is Stone Bridge still running some SW or are they all spread now with the new HC? I was surprised to see them get shut out, but Madison is pretty dang good.

Sherando winning like that was eye opening to me. I don’t know brentsville by anything but reputation, but it’s a solid reputation. The warriors get a Jefferson WV team licking their wounds from a 50-0 shellacking by Spring Mills WV, who was a state quarter finalist last year and returns a lot, week one. Jefferson has been pretty decent the last 3 years but I think they’re trending back down, maybe in a big way. I figured this one would be a tossup going into the year but I expect Sherando will handle the cougars in easier fashion than last year. It’s a shame the martinsburg series is kaput. Bulldogs opened up with a DC tomato can Friday, would much rather see Sherando than those matchups.

Handley should be pretty good. They’ve got some good skill kids and an absolutely massive line. Musselman saw something like 80% of their returning snaps transfer out this past season off an already mediocre team. By all rights they should be horrendous this season. Frankly I expected Handley to beat them by more.
Didn’t watch the whole game but they practically were playing spread every offensive play

The big surprise in NOVA in my opinion was Osbourn over South Lakes. Osbourn was 2-8 last year (and only scored double-digit points twice) while South Lakes was 10-1.

We also had our very own ugly blowout as Marshall beat Annandale 79-6. Was 43-0 after the first quarter.

Went to the Woodgrove-Loudoun County game on Friday afternoon and it was a good choice. Woodgrove came back from 21-6 down to take the lead but Loudoun County won it with a late fourth-down touchdown pass. Thought LoCo did a good job on the star receiver from Woodgrove after getting burned early.

Give Hall some time at Prince George... remember too, they were playing a very good Glen Allen team who many expect to be among the best in the region this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT