ADVERTISEMENT

narrows stunning Giles

Nov 10, 2006
Narrows scored twice on its first two possessions. Giles with no first downs with 1:51 remaining in the quarter. Giles hit on about a 40 yard pass on its possession and scored on a fourth and goal from the one to cut the lead to 12-7.

Narrows had a 5 yard punt. Giles took over at the Narrows 39 and scored from 31 yards out with a little over 3 minutes left in the half. With the PAT Giles leads 14-12.

Narrows put 9 guys in the box and dared Giles to run. They threw 3 passes and completed 2 for long gains. You got to take advantage of what the D gives you. You can't be stubborn and say we're gonna run the ball even though we don't have the numbers to block everybody. Throw the ball 10-15 yds down the field and loosen up the D. Looked to me that Narrows also came out thinking they could win and Giles thought it would be a pushover. Blaker is a good athlete at QB. Giles has a lot of work to do this week to have any chance against Graham. A close game may have been good for them.

And I have no idea where they go the officiating crew but they had no clue what they were doing. Narrows lost the ball on a fumble that was questionable but the official was on top of the play and called it Giles ball after the officials huddled. No bean bag that I saw and no immediate call for sure. Didn't have any issue with the penalties themselves but on a dead ball personal foul on 2nd down they counted the down and the down marker changed to 3rd but after the next play they put it back to third when it should have been 4th and long. Giles committed a PF on a kickoff and they lost the spot where the returner was downed and were going to enforce it from the spot of the foul until the Coach told them it wasn't a spot foul. Basic elementary officiating. Wasn't a Western association crew for sure.

Narrows came out to win and played a pretty good game. Giles looked as if they were not ready to play at all. What's the word on the green kid 6'4" 260 freshman is he being recruited or looked at?

Narrows came out to win and played a pretty good game. Giles looked as if they were not ready to play at all. What's the word on the green kid 6'4" 260 freshman is he being recruited or looked at?
Agree. Narrows thought they could win and Giles knew it was a pushover. Don't know about Green. Wouldn't think he'd be getting much interest yet as a freshman. Very intelligent young man. Definitely has the smarts for college.

Narrows better then people think, Giles not as good as people think. Giles could have been flat and I absolutely hate playing after a bye week. Narrows came to play and Blaker is a good ball player. Giles better get tougher on the defensive line and I'll leave it at that. Next week could get ugly.

Narrows put 9 guys in the box and dared Giles to run. They threw 3 passes and completed 2 for long gains. You got to take advantage of what the D gives you. You can't be stubborn and say we're gonna run the ball even though we don't have the numbers to block everybody. Throw the ball 10-15 yds down the field and loosen up the D. Looked to me that Narrows also came out thinking they could win and Giles thought it would be a pushover. Blaker is a good athlete at QB. Giles has a lot of work to do this week to have any chance against Graham. A close game may have been good for them.

And I have no idea where they go the officiating crew but they had no clue what they were doing. Narrows lost the ball on a fumble that was questionable but the official was on top of the play and called it Giles ball after the officials huddled. No bean bag that I saw and no immediate call for sure. Didn't have any issue with the penalties themselves but on a dead ball personal foul on 2nd down they counted the down and the down marker changed to 3rd but after the next play they put it back to third when it should have been 4th and long. Giles committed a PF on a kickoff and they lost the spot where the returner was downed and were going to enforce it from the spot of the foul until the Coach told them it wasn't a spot foul. Basic elementary officiating. Wasn't a Western association crew for sure.

The officiating crew was pretty terrible. I didn't see the fumble call as I got there late and had to watch from the fences where it was three men deep. There was a good turnout for both sides, IIRC. The personal foul on the kickoff was a joke. Narrows ended up with a generous spot but I couldn't believe where they were originally going to mark off the penalty.

Fortunately, the amateur officiating didn't influence the outcome. Giles was unprepared (I believe I remember saying this same thing last year somewhere near Salem), and Narrows has a better than usual team. Narrows has a decent sized line, a baller for a QB, and fairly impressive stable of running backs. The defense was physical and made their tackles. Narrows also knows what we do on offense as well as most of our players do.

In 1A, I've seen Narrows, Bath, Riverheads, and Covington play so far. Narrows will dominate Bath, struggle against Riverheads but make a good game of it, and may just have the edge against Covington.

Giles, on the other hand, better master tackling and master it quickly. Galax and Graham are next up and they will run through and around the arm tackles I saw tonight. We had some good hits and some of our guys stuck their tackles, but more than a few did not. Ball handling is also not where it should be at this point in the season either. As much as our guys drill and practice it, this shouldn't be an issue.

Narrows better then people think, Giles not as good as people think. Giles could have been flat and I absolutely hate playing after a bye week. Narrows came to play and Blaker is a good ball player. Giles better get tougher on the defensive line and I'll leave it at that. Next week could get ugly.
The D-line did look better in the second half than the first half, but I completely agree. They were getting manhandled. It wasn't that they weren't getting out of their stance quick enough, they just weren't getting low enough. They got stood up and shoved wherever Narrows wanted them. Poor technique.

Narrows looked as good as they can get through almost a quarter. Much better than any recent Green Wave team.

With that said, I wonder what the outcome would have been if Narrows had scored before halftime. They took the ball downfield very well in quick time. They also missed a wide open pass that could have gone for six. Credit the Giles D for stiffening somewhat after the 1st quarter.

The Giles offense got going late in the first quarter and did just enough to come back and win. They only had 7 first downs for the game, but the long gainers helped immensely.
Narrows kept the pressure on with a better than average offense. When a QB picks up nearly 200 yards rushing, your D has problems.

Giles kept its composure and that's to its credit.

Thought this game was one of the best games I had watched between these 2 teams in years but the officials looked like they had never been around a football game and giles d line needs some work if they are gonna have success against graham and galax

Reactions: obguthr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT