ADVERTISEMENT

Neutral thoughts on Saturday's first four games

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Just went because I like to go. No dog in any fights, so here is what I thought in a nutshell.

Walked in with Northwood ahead of ARGS by 9 but the Lady Dragons rallied and made it interesting before Northwood held on. Nice crowd for the Lady Panthers for coming such a distance.

Radford scored the first ten points and appeared ready to blow the Devils out of the gym. But the big guy went down in the second quarter and it was soon obvious he would not be back. That gave the Devils their chance and they crept back to within one point at 40-39 but just could not get the key bucket that would put them ahead. Radford then took over and won 54-44. They never trailed in the game.

Next up was the most competitive game of the day, as the Ridgeview girls squeezed past Union 51-48. According to my local paper, the Wolfpack had already beaten the Bears five times this year and probably thought "Why do we have to do this again?" But this game was Union's to win most of the way. They led almost the entire first half before Ridgeview sneaked out to a five point lead at 34-29 early in the third quarter. It was nip and tuck from that point on. As the third quarter ended, the Union fans howled at what they thought was a bad call but I think the refs got it right. They had the ball on an inbounds play with only .2 on the clock. They got the ball to the top of the key and the girl hit the shot, but the refs waved it off. I have always heard that by rule you cannot catch and shoot in that short a period of time......you can only tip in a shot. So if that applies to high school ball, then the refs got it right. The game remained tight through the fourth and came down to Union having the final eight seconds to tie it with a three before Ridgeview held on to win 51-48. Union's dynamic duo (don't know names) combined for something like 40 of their 48 points.

Next up was the Greensville/Martinsville game. I knew nothing about either of these teams, but what a huge talent difference between this and the 1-A game. However, most of the talent belonged to the Dogs. It was obvious from the opening tip that Holland (hope that is right) is their main weapon and Greensville seemed to know that as they double teamed him. However, he still dominated and had something like 14 points by halftime despite picking up two quick fouls. When the Dogs stretched their lead to 21 early in the third, I left, so my apologies to the Eagles if they perhaps came back and made a game of it, but it looked like it was going to be total Martinsville domination the whole way.

I did not stay for the evening games but congrats to the Lady Blazers, the only team in action today from my Shenandoah Valley area.

Wow. Your whole description sounded like my day up there today as well. Lol. Did you sit behind me or something? Yes, the Lady Wolfpack beat Union an astonishing 6 times this season, but today was by far the closest of the six. McKinney (#12) and Bishop (#20) for Union played a hell of a ballgame.

Kayla Mullins (#14) of Ridgeview scored her 2,000th point on the final free throw of the game.

So proud of the Lady Wolfpack. Mission accomplished.

Next up was the Greensville/Martinsville game. I knew nothing about either of these teams, but what a huge talent difference between this and the 1-A game. However, most of the talent belonged to the Dogs.
It might have appeared that there was a huge talent difference, but Radford beat Martinsville earlier this season. They played a home and home and the host won each game.

Reactions: High-Fidelity
It might have appeared that there was a huge talent difference, but Radford beat Martinsville earlier this season. They played a home and home and the host won each game.
Surprised to hear that. I imagine the battle in the paint between those two guys must have been something to see. It is possible that the huge and very vocal Martinsville crowd, which I meant to acknowledge but forgot, just made the team seem more exciting to watch.

Reactions: James Holland
Radford had a great team this year. Martinsville won the game at home by 20. The rematch was much closer. I believe the final margin was 4 points. Radford hit 11 3s and quite a few FTs in that game if I remember correctly. I don't think they connected on more than 3 or 4 two point field goals all night. They also held Holland to one of his lowest outputs all year.

Radford and Martinsville was hands down the best teams in 1a and 2a, respectively, so I have to disagree about the talent gap. I knew Martinsvills was good, but I didn't know just how good Radford was until I watched them in the quarterfinals against Northumberland. Very disciplined and well coached. The big man from Radford was skilled and their guards were very good, took good shots, and made great decisions. Martinsville was destined to win with a strong senior class. Holland was hands down the best player in 2a, but like all kids transitioning from the high school to the D-1 college game, has a lot of work to do which I have no doubt that he'll be ok with Coach Mike Jones. I'm very happy for Martinsville and I wish them and GW and MV's girls could've came home with the trophy but all 3 teams, with Martinsville's girls also, will be back next year just as strong and the crazy thing is is that all 4 teams will be favorited to win it all. That's an amazing feat for the Piedmont District. Kudos to the Dogs for their feat. It's heartbreaking that both GW's boys and MV's girls lost at the buzzer, but the Dawgs put on for our area and brought it home.

Reactions: James Holland
Everybody loves these kinds of comments I know, but; this year on the girls side, I feel like the 2A girls final four teams would have probably held their own and likely won against the 3A final four teams.

Everybody loves these kinds of comments I know, but; this year on the girls side, I feel like the 2A girls final four teams would have probably held their own and likely won against the 3A final four teams.

I agree with you 100%. I thought the same thing. I would even go as far to say that Northwood and ARGS could've given them a scrap. I wasn't impressed by the 3A girls at all.

4A & 5A was where the best girls basketball was. Monacan and Princess Anne would run any of the teams of the other classes rite off the court.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Which game do you think had the best ending. IMO, it has to be Fields steal and jumper (Norcom vs. Hopewell). The Ridgeview/Union girls game was a war! The MV/Spotswood game was good, just I wished it was called better (probably the worst called game of all 12 Championship games!) Outcome may not have been different, but that game should have been called a lot better.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
I didn't stay for the 3A title games. I got back to Bristol to spend some time with my daughter before she went back to her mother. The Northwood win shocked me in a very good way. Of course, the Ridgeview game for me had the best ending because I'm biased. Lol. Radford showed a lot of determination and found a way to win in dire circumstances.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT