ADVERTISEMENT

New 2016 Basketball Rule 1-20

Sep 28, 2007
Ok, the first part of this rule is pretty straightforward. It's the section shown in bold below that I need some clarification on. I just copied this out of the NFHS press release, so not sure if this is entire context of the rule or not:

In addition, the Basketball Rules Committee added Rule 1-20 regarding non-playing personnel – such as cheerleaders – on the court during a short time-out. The new rule states that “non-playing personnel shall remain outside of the playing area during a 30-second or less time-out during the game. Non-playing personnel shall stand outside the free-throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.”

Does this mean the cheerleaders have to be on the sideline between the FT lines extended on each end of the court, or can they still be in the corners/endline area as in the past?

Thanks!

FBRef is also a basketball ref, so I'm sure he'll know, but I think the Free throw lane extended is the area that would extend from the lane under the basket, so no cheerleader or other non-playing personnel can stand right under the basket or the 12 feet inthe center of each baseline.

I wonder how far that extends. If you're playing in a lot of high schools where the wall is right there, it makes sense. But if the game is at the Siegel Center, the lane could extend for quite a ways.

Do you think it is an effort to possibly protect cheerleaders, etc., or do you think it was done to limit possible distractions to the shooter or offense?

I'm in NC. We have always had a state rule that required cheerleaders to remain seated when the ball is live. Yes, safety is the reason. So it really won't effect us.

As I read it, it would seem to me that they want the cheerleaders beyond the FT lines extended or on the sideline.

In all honest, this is still going to be up to each state association to decide what they want to do.

Last edited:
Thanks! Curious to see how this goes here in VA. I'm picturing cheerleaders on the sideline at half court. That's going to put one team's cheerleaders between the coaches boxes/in front of the scorer's table. Can't see that working!

Stretch35 I have no definitive idea to the rule...football guy here...but I think what you are picturing and what the wording says are different. The passage you quoted says "free throw lane lines extended". My visual from just reading what you included is not from free throw line to free throw line along the sideline but rather drawing lines from one baseline to the other the width of the lane. So I'd take it to mean cannot stand under the basket along the baseline.

Thanks! Curious to see how this goes here in VA. I'm picturing cheerleaders on the sideline at half court. That's going to put one team's cheerleaders between the coaches boxes/in front of the scorer's table. Can't see that working!

I'm not sure of the exact meaning of the words in the rule change but I can assure you there will not be cheerleaders anywhere near the scorer's table.

onlylabs may be correct in assessment. But as I said, we aren't going to allowed that in NC. It's gonna be a state by state interp.

I go to about 30-40 high school hoops games a year and the cheerleaders are always on the baseline. As onlylabs says, I think this will make it so the 12-foot area of the lane under the basket will have to be clear. In newer multi-use gyms like the Siegel Center, the baskets are movable stanchions that effectively prevent anyone from being in this area, anyway.

Stretch35 I have no definitive idea to the rule...football guy here...but I think what you are picturing and what the wording says are different. The passage you quoted says "free throw lane lines extended". My visual from just reading what you included is not from free throw line to free throw line along the sideline but rather drawing lines from one baseline to the other the width of the lane. So I'd take it to mean cannot stand under the basket along the baseline.
That makes much more sense. Definitely time to get those new glasses...I totally missed "lane" when I read it (not just once!). Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT