ADVERTISEMENT

New attendance numbers for 2015-2016

VerizonSportsFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 2, 2003
Article today in Winchester Star ... this 65 increase should put Sherando at the 1600 level ... IMHO ... probably enough to put Sherando into Division 5A the next cycle.

The division’s three high schools saw some of the biggest changes: James Wood High School lost 15 students (compared to last year), while Millbrook gained 31 students and Sherando 65.

“I was little surprised the numbers were as high as they were at the high school,” said Assistant Superintendent Al Orndorff.

Since we are on a four year cycle now, I would assume they would use the official count tabulated in March of 2020? I'm pretty sure it's the numbers the year before the last year of the cycle.

I'm sure the NOVA schools will continue to grow for the most part. Man, that will mean a lot of changes.

I would hate to see Sherando move up. I like them in 4a.

Additionally, after four years we can expect a lot of the inner city schools in Richmond and Tidewater to continue to have their numbers decline. And I'm sure we will see some changes in SWVA. Some will decline, but the pressure will only grow, because of economics, to consolidate schools.

VA high school sports is like VA weather. If you don't like things the way they are, wait just a little, it will change!

I'm sure Sherando will stay in 4A. FCPS will end up moving some of them to JW and Millbrook. If they ever decide to put forth a serious effort to open the necessary 4th high school (Sherando was way overcrowded even when I graduated), I wouldn't he surprised to see Millbrook or JW drop to 3A numbers.

I wish millbrook and James wood drop to 3A. Then my conference would not need to stretch from Front Royal to Fredericksburg.

The alignment groupings are for 4 year period, however there is a 5% rule in place that is used to move schools within that period if their enrollment drops below or above a division and have gained or lost 5% of their students. I'm sure I probably could have explained this better, especially since this is POST 1000.

Thanks for explaining. I knew of this rule too, but I was fuzzy on the details. Might come into play for some of these Loudoun schools that start as 3A and then jump to 4A or 5A almost overnight.

I think that if they decide to just give up and let Sherando move to 5A, they need to add a major addition onto the school (and not in the form of trailers), like they did with Bass Hover Elementary. The school is already way overcrowded, and they don't seem to be willing to put forth the funds to start building the new high school, which was originally intended to open in 2013/2014. Now it's not even supposed to begin construction until 2019, and that'll be pushed back too.

I've already heard 2021 because the Russell Property development was shot down by the Frederick County boards of supervisors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT