ADVERTISEMENT

New era begins for Louisa and Courtland

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
After years of playing former Region II teams for Louisa and former Region I teams for Courtland in the playoffs, these two squads are moving on to play in the new 4A East region. Courtland got a taste of the types of teams they'll face in the East by matching up with GW-Danville the last two seasons in the playoffs, but the closest Louisa has came recently to East-type play is a scrimmage against Meadowbrook. They had the opportunity to schedule Dinwiddie for next season, but Coach Fischer (whom I just found out was defensive coordinator for LC Bird's Coach Bedwell at Henrico) and staff decided to go with Sherando. Louisa and Courtland have played each other during the regular season for 11 straight years now, so they are familiar with each other. There aren't too many teams in 4A East that run the Wing T like Courtland or Single Wing like Louisa, so that can be an advantage for the newcomers.

After watching video of 4A East teams for a couple of years, and seeing Lake Taylor in person on Saturday, I think LC and Courtland can fit in and have some success due to individual match-ups. Both teams have a mix of those hard-working farm boys with some city toughness (Louisa has a starter from Baltimore) at the skill positions. Courtland returns 3 of 4 starters in the backfield, but lose some guys in other key positions, but they always reload. Louisa loses their QB, two linemen, and some defenders, but have a host of kids who can step in and play QB, and some young talent stepping in on defense. And as always they have great runners. As long as both teams dedicate their off seasons to the weight room, which is where any success begins, regardless of where you're from, they'll be okay. (Speaking of weight rooms, Louisa's new school opens next year, the weight room is going to be NICE!) Their coaching is top notch, with both staffs having state-championship appearances.

It should be fun seeing whatever new match-ups occur in the playoffs over the upcoming years. Is it August, yet?
This post was edited on 12/15 3:03 PM by HoosFan05

Wonder why they chose Sherando over Dinwiddie? The drive is basically the same, not sure I understand that one. I will keep this post in mind next year.

Hey Snooka, whom do you know is transferring out of Louisa besides the Carter kid? I and many others saw him as a potential four-year starter at QB for us. Definitely gotta be talented if Woodberry Forest is calling you.

Just rumors flying around, I dont name kids...plus you know how rumors are. Just word is some of the young talent is possibly leaving. Kids leaving hit us about 8-9 years ago to FUMA, STAB, MILLER, WOODBERRY, and COVENANT word is from some of the coaches at those schools that they have tapped into Louisa now. I really hope not for Louisa's sake to be honest it has really hurt us. Kids parents think that leaving and going to these schools will get them a better offer I guess.

Yeah, I just hope with us returning to the playoffs it will change some minds about potential transferring. And it works both ways, maybe we'll score another gem transfer like we did with Worley from Patrick Henry.

This post was edited on 12/15 2:03 PM by HoosFan05

True. If Lions want to get out of the first round of the east playoffs they may need a qb like worley to do it. Teams who are one dimensional did not do so well vs. the top eastern teams. I am interested to see how things play out next year. I am impressed with the opening week game for the Lions with hamspears boys, but I wonder why they declined on Dinwiddie as you say that the Lions did? Anyone was better than Spotsy to be honest though for points so I understand that. Well good luck to the Lions in the offseason and maybe they will make a run next season a little farther than they did this past season.

Originally posted by Snookasuperstar:
I am impressed with the opening week game for the Lions with hamspears boys, but I wonder why they declined on Dinwiddie as you say that the Lions did?
From what I've heard it was because of some of the same reasons stated on this board, like level of competition, etc. I think Fischer wants to play a team that is good but that they also stand a good chance of beating, to help his young team gain confidence early.

Looking forward to coming down to Louisa the first game of the season Hoos, should be a good game. I havn't sat down and looked at position by position what the Warriors have coming back, but I am pretty sure we wil be solid team., if I had to guess we would be a little better than this year, but you never know until you see it on the field. Are biggest concern will be the O line, we have a hard time finding bigger quick boys, and they never develops until later in the season it seems. We had the choice of going to Dinwiddie also from what I heard , but for us it was a matter of travel and distance. We have a pretty tough schedule as it is, so I am kind of glad we are not just adding another L on the schedule that is 150 miles away. I think Dinwiddie will be back in the top 3 in the East next year, hearing good things about them

hey! hey! hey! be easy on my boys from post oak! got a new coaching staff and head coach coming and if the school board does their homework and hire a experienced coach with playoff experience we might once again be a team that will once again be a force in the state like the good old days! hasn't been that long that the knights beat Louisa then the rebels 77 to 0. my brother was the spotsy qb and coach told him to kneel down on the 5 yard line to keep from scoring another td. so we haven't always been the laughing stock of the area. well I say it hasn't been that long ago it was in the early 70's to be exact!

I haven't had the chance to welcome you back Sky. Good to have you around to bounce stuff off of.

Hoos, good post to get this thread started. And after the harshness we have seen on the other threads lately, it sure is enjoyable to "just talk"

I'm looking for Lousiadad to jump in. Where are you old friend?

For sure, Dinwiddie/Sherando would have been a stretch. That's a lot of miles on a Friday night. Lousia would have been a blast, but I admire every coach and AD for simply doing what is best for their kids. (I will get to experience the Jungle one day, I guess).

James Monroe, and Hanover, will be plenty challenging for Dinwiddie. I really am hoping that Caroline can show some improvement this year. (Our third non-district opponenent). Dinwiddie endured plenty of tough seasons like Caroline over the years, and I empathize with all teams and fans that have these tough periods.

And, FYI. There is still interest about Salem and Dinwiddie for a future match up. I would love for our kids and fans to see that terrific stadium. Of course, I hope we can leave the Spartan faithful disappointed. And, I would love for our fans to see that tremendous band of Salem's.

Hoos is right, next season should be well underway for Courtland and Louisa. (And of course, for all teams). Some don't like the idea of any sport being a year round deal. And, I wish it didn't really have to be that way either. But, it is. If a kid doesn't buy in and do the weight room and other stuff, his competition for a position on the team is. If the team doesn't dedicate themselves in November to next season, the teams they need to beat already have. That's just the way it is.

Yes, is it August yet??? I guess we will have to make do with All Star games.

I second DP's welcome Skynard. Maybe you guys will have a flashback and get back on your feet. Just dont wear the single bar helmets.

Hoos and Hamspear your game should be physical. Would like to have played Louisa and see the Jungle. Maybe in the playoffs. Not sure I would want to see Sherando early. The contact in that game could wreck either teams season. I know a few players told me last year they were still sore at Christmas.

Have a great holidays season.

thanks at least you didn't say we had the helmets that you fold up and put in your back pocket! we had hard helmets with face masks some cage masks but I swear they were plastic and none fit properly! our full back Otis Obryen actually broke his helmet running over a tackler on the goal line as we played at Garfield! boy can I tell you some great back in the day stories! stand by!

It does get you a better offer. UVA gave a STAB girl a full ride rowing scholarship who had never rowed before. Her lacrosse coach apparently went to the same church or gym or something as the crew coach at UVA. Pretty nice to get a full ride in a sport you've never tried. If STAB had come to me about my daughter running cross country for them I would have sent her in a second, and I'm her cross country coach at Orange, or Woodberry Forest wanted my son for anything at all it would take me all of 5 seconds to make that decision. They'd just have to figure out a way for them to go for free, because I can't afford those places.

This post was edited on 12/15 10:05 PM by GilliamRatings

Originally posted by GilliamRatings:
It does get you a better offer. UVA gave a STAB girl a full ride rowing scholarship who had never rowed before. Her lacrosse coach apparently went to the same church or gym or something as the crew coach at UVA. Pretty nice to get a full ride in a sport you've never tried. If STAB had come to me about my daughter running cross country for them I would have sent her in a second, and I'm her cross country coach at Orange, or Woodberry Forest wanted my son for anything at all it would take me all of 5 seconds to make that decision. They'd just have to figure out a way for them to go for free, because I can't afford those places.

This post was edited on 12/15 10:05 PM by GilliamRatings
It's funny you say that. I heard Prospect Heights Middle has an absolute stud running back that turned down Woodberry. That kid's gonna be a 1000 yard back as a freshman for sure.

Too funny. My dad was an all state player at Jefferson Senior. He has his old helmet and it has a clear plastic face mask. He said a fullback from Kingsport, Tennessee shattered it and trucked him for a touchdown. Played the rest of the game with no face mask.

My first helmet was a weird boxy typed helmet. I started playing pewee football in 1971. Had to tie our hip pads to our waist. Give us some good stories. Love it....

DP still here just sitting back reading and learning !!!! Real busy Louisa Wrestling season now!!!! For the record Louisa did not turn down Dinwiddie the schedule did not work out. Nothing new here in Louisa just trying to get our new school done. We need a weight room real bad. Only so much you can do with Large tires and gallon jugs full of sand!!! Happy H-Days everybody from "THE JUNGLE" On a side note I get to watch my Tennessee Vols play down south in Jacksonville on Janurary 2, 2015 !

This post was edited on 12/17 2:17 PM by Louisadad

Bring enough warm weather back from Florida with you to chase away our winter blues, please.

Yeah, a quality weight room for an athletic program is almost a necessity these days. And I hear that what is being built up there is going to be pretty impressive.

In fact, the whole school should be super. I wonder if there are any other totally new high school buildings opening in the state next fall?

Changing the subject, I was talking to a terrific lady in Lynchburg last Sat., and she was talking about her old high school. She went to Laural Park, which eventually merged into Magna Vista. Sadly, she said the old school burned to ground sometime back. It still had a lot of things inside like the trophy cases with trophys inside. Very sad to lose memories like that. I'm still emotionally scarred from riding by my old elementary about 30 years ago and seeing a vacant lot. Some of the best years of my life were centered around that old building.

Thanks for the holiday wishes. May you and all the rest of our friends here on this forum have a wonderful and magical holiday season, and a new year that exceeds your wildest expectations.

DP

It really sucked when they demolished both my high school and elementary school due to the earthquake, but at least they're getting rebuilt. Lots of good memories from those buildings, but the elementary school especially.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT