ADVERTISEMENT

New School name recommendations in Hanover County:-

I live in Hanover, have a son in the school system and this situation just keeps getting worse and worse. Now we are going into October with this situation still unresolved.

Sorry to hear that. The leadership in that county...wow.

Michael Pegram
@MichaelNBC12

NEW: Hanover School board agrees on Mechanicsville High and Bell Creek Middle as new school names to replace Lee-Davis and Stonewall Jackson.
Vote expected at Oct. 13 meeting.

Why on earth did they convene a committee that followed a very specific process if they were just going to ignore them & make their own naming decisions? Man, if I took the time to serve on that committee, I’d see that for what it is: a giant middle finger from the board.

Why on earth did they convene a committee that followed a very specific process if they were just going to ignore them & make their own naming decisions? Man, if I took the time to serve on that committee, I’d see that for what it is: a giant middle finger from the board.
cuz there was an uproar and the folks needed a public hearing before the vote mainly to vent.

Committees are formed to cover their ass when they do what they always planned on doing.

Reactions: bulldog1150
Committees are formed to cover their ass when they do what they always planned on doing.

No doubt! But this one is especially peculiar. SB directs superintendent to follow board procedure and form a committee of parents and kids to recommend names for the old LDHS & SJMS. They spend about a month doing so, with lists being released to the public and surveying the community on its preferences. Then they make their final recommendations and both are discarded. Something’s not right in that county...

No doubt! But this one is especially peculiar. SB directs superintendent to follow board procedure and form a committee of parents and kids to recommend names for the old LDHS & SJMS. They spend about a month doing so, with lists being released to the public and surveying the community on its preferences. Then they make their final recommendations and both are discarded. Something’s not right in that county...

One of the biggest problems is the committee suggested Twin Rivers which in a poll was at the bottom of the list. That data was released and caused the second guessing and scrutiny.

The county is torn on this whole issue... you have those that have stood by their beliefs that the names should not be changed and then you have those that want the names changed but cannot agree on a new name and then you have the school board that just says okay, we don't like those names so we will take it from here. It's a hot mess.

Reactions: WP02alum
Thanks that helps me understand a bit better. Was any justification provided from the committee about why they didn’t just go with the highest polling name from the community? It almost sounds like the outrage is about who served on the committee, but I don’t have any information about that. Just my hunch on the matter

One of the biggest problems is the committee suggested Twin Rivers which in a poll was at the bottom of the list. That data was released and caused the second guessing and scrutiny.

The county is torn on this whole issue... you have those that have stood by their beliefs that the names should not be changed and then you have those that want the names changed but cannot agree on a new name and then you have the school board that just says okay, we don't like those names so we will take it from here. It's a hot mess.

Same thing happened in Fairfax County when they changed the name of J.E.B. Stuart..

Students voted to keep the name. Board said "No!, We'll let the parents decide"
Parents voted to keep the name. Board said "NO!! We'll decide ourselves if you wont vote for what we want!"

WaPo made it sound like it was some sort of earth shattering vote when the board obviously voted to change the name...

When it came time to select a new name?..

Kids voted to name it after a Hispanic American war hero...large hispanic population at that school mind you... Board said "NO!! not what WE want!

Parents voted to change the name to Justice Thurgood Marshall. Board said "NO! We'll decide ourselves"

Board voted on "Justice".........justice for who exactly??

So basically, just let the board give it whatever woke name they want and just get it over with.

Reactions: VolNation85
They put out a press release that the HS is going to be Mechanicsville HS & the middle school will be Bell Creek MS.

They put out a press release that the HS is going to be Mechanicsville HS & the middle school will be Bell Creek MS.

Yes, that is what the board has decided. The night of the school board meeting which I listened to virtually, the board mentioned those two names and seemed to be targeting those names. I personally do not believe they even gave any other names a look. Mechanicsville makes sense as it covers the area/town as a whole. The student body will select the mascot but I've already said Mechanicsville Mustangs has a nice ring to it. I think the only other Mustangs in the state is Monticello.

Yes, that is what the board has decided. The night of the school board meeting which I listened to virtually, the board mentioned those two names and seemed to be targeting those names. I personally do not believe they even gave any other names a look. Mechanicsville makes sense as it covers the area/town as a whole. The student body will select the mascot but I've already said Mechanicsville Mustangs has a nice ring to it. I think the only other Mustangs in the state is Monticello.

Could even use the Denver Broncos logo with the original orange and blue colors! I heard the students will choose the mascot after they vote on the name officially at the next board meeting.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Could even use the Denver Broncos logo with the original orange and blue colors! I heard the students will choose the mascot after they vote on the name officially at the next board meeting.
Don't go there, that could be trouble. Westfield has used the "W" that is similar (the same?) as the "W" on Wisconsin's helmet since the school opened in 2000. They were recently forced to modify the letter slightly when they installed the "W" logo on their new field (the same logo used since 2000 was also on the old field installed in 2009). I understand it was copyrighted but this was for a bunch of high school kids, they don't make money off of it or license it, and it wasn't the same color just the same style.

Last edited:
Don't go there, that could be trouble. Westfield has used the "W" that is similar (the same?) as the "W" on Wisconsin's helmet since the school opened in 2000. They were recently forced to modify the letter slightly when they installed the "W" logo on their new field (the same logo used since 2000 was also on the old field installed in 2009). I understand it was copyrighted but this was for a bunch of high school kids, they don't make money off of it or license it, and it wasn't the same color just the same style.
don't Green Run already use it?
20190328215824_89_mascotOrig.png

don't Green Run already use it?
20190328215824_89_mascotOrig.png
The GR logo's styling is close to Denver's but not exact. Differences in the mane and neck stripe and the mouth is not open-maybe that is enough to avoid copyright issues? Or maybe a pro team is not as concerned about losing revenue as a college program? I honestly don't know.

Michael Pegram
@MichaelNBC12

NEW: Hanover School board agrees on Mechanicsville High and Bell Creek Middle as new school names to replace Lee-Davis and Stonewall Jackson.
Vote expected at Oct. 13 meeting.

No surprise,
Hanover Co. School Board approves the name change of Lee-Davis HS to Mechanicsville HS.
Student body will select new mascot.

TheVille HS Athletics @VilleAthletics

Last edited:
maybe not Meadowbrook has had that name for decades.
It is sort of a specialize name not like something generic like Lions.
Unless they want to go the Butterfly route.

Oops. Forgot about them.

Random ideas: Minutemen? Vikings? Lobos? Manatees? Martians? Golden Goats?

Local ideas: Beavers (after Beaver Dam Creek)? Turkeys (after Turkey Hill)?

Why would you name a school after a bunch of losers in the first place? I like my Generals to be WINNERS!

Oops. Forgot about them.

Random ideas: Minutemen? Vikings? Lobos? Manatees? Martians? Golden Goats?

Local ideas: Beavers (after Beaver Dam Creek)? Turkeys (after Turkey Hill)?
I actually like Minutemen (except UMass).
Marvin is my fav Martian
The kids at Atlee, Hanover and PH would have lots of fun with Beavers and Turkeys

Lol that could be the name of the name of the
Mascot Like Florida State’s Oceola or the Panthers Sir Purr

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT