7 Auburn Riner 5-1
The Eagles jumped up two spots after topping Eastern Montgomery 41-6
8 Sussex Central Sussex 5-1
The Tigers climb into the rankings after topping Park View 14-12
9 Franklin Franklin 4-1
The Broncos fell to Brunswick 60-36 and dropped five spots in the rankings
10 William Campbell Naruna 4-2
The Generals made their way into the rankings with a 35-28 win over Gretna

Auburn should be 10th at best.... just like Honaker when they were they haven't beaten anyone of substance.

Not a lot of argument with the top 5
6-9 are pretty shaky -- not a lot of "good wins between them"

I wouldn't sleep on the following 3 teams -- Lunenberg, Luray

Auburn should be 10th at best.... just like Honaker when they were they haven't beaten anyone of substance.

Not a lot of argument with the top 5
6-9 are pretty shaky -- not a lot of "good wins between them"

I wouldn't sleep on the following 3 teams -- Lunenberg, Luray

Not a lot of good wins in 10-15 either.

We'll find out a whole heck of a lot about Auburn this week, same with PMC.

You're killing Auburn but praising Luray? Explain.

Not a lot of good wins in 10-15 either.

We'll find out a whole heck of a lot about Auburn this week, same with PMC.

You're killing Auburn but praising Luray? Explain.
Franklin gave up 60 and are ranked?

Auburn has played nothing but 1A really bad teams other than they got stomped by the only good team they played.

Luray has played a much more difficult schedule with all 2A teams and only loss vs. one of the top teams in 1A.

I'm one that doesn't count losses vs. really good teams like James Monroe, Buckingham, etc against teams just my personal view though. :)

Auburn has played nothing but 1A really bad teams other than they got stomped by the only good team they played.

Luray has played a much more difficult schedule with all 2A teams and only loss vs. one of the top teams in 1A.

I'm one that doesn't count losses vs. really good teams like James Monroe, Buckingham, etc against teams just my personal view though. :)

Auburn SOS per VHSL-Reference.com = 25.8
Luray SOS per VHSL-Reference.com = 27.8

"a much more difficult schedule" ??????
5616301991_175384948_head_scratch_final_2_xlarge.jpeg

Also, Auburn's one loss was by 8 points; Luray's was by 32.

Can you send me the link to the game where Auburn "got stomped by the only good team they play"?

What team has "STOMPED" Auburn? I assume you are referring to PM which was 14-6 and is by no stretch of the imagination what I would call getting "stomped" and you obviously where not at the game to see how it all played out. It is certainly obvious by all of your post that pertain to Auburn you have a grind with Auburn in general for some reason and give them no credit at all for anything. That is ok we all know opinions are like a**holes everybody has one and you are entitled to yours. I would suggest spending less energy worrying about Auburn and where they are at and focus that energy on (your team) Luray.

Reactions: VA Outlaw
Teams that may be Top 10 quality that are not in poll, in my opinion, would be:

Lunenburg, Luray, Altavista, Rappahannock, & Galax

(but Galax record keeps them out but may be Top Ten team nonetheless)

Now who would they knock out? Rod does great job and one big reason for polls is to debate them!

Now, for the West Region teams, it looks like the reward for earning that #1 seed (if you make it to the semis, of course) may be a visit from the Essex Trojans...

Maybe, sometimes coming in 2nd ain't all that bad....

Auburn will be playing Glenvar, Radford and Giles , not many teams can survive that schedule , if they do they will be a tough out in the playoffs , are they a top 10 state team, who really cares. It will all play out come November , but the people in Riner are lucky to have there coach, and with a few athletes would beat these teams. Thank you Rod for giving Auburn a little recognition , deserved or not who would have thought Auburn would be a Va preps conversation . BTW Goat Parry McClure is a outstanding football team, they would beat a lot of the teams in the rankings.

They could rank the school I root for in last place for all I care. Games are won on the field, not in polls.

...but it does make for some interesting arguments :D

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Teams that may be Top 10 quality that are not in poll, in my opinion, would be:

Lunenburg, Luray, Altavista, Rappahannock, & Galax

(but Galax record keeps them out but may be Top Ten team nonetheless)

Now who would they knock out? Rod does great job and one big reason for polls is to debate them!

Now, for the West Region teams, it looks like the reward for earning that #1 seed (if you make it to the semis, of course) may be a visit from the Essex Trojans...

Maybe, sometimes coming in 2nd ain't all that bad....

Interestingly enough, those five schools have all been in the top ten rankings at one point or another this season.

The first thing to remember about our rankings is that we do NOT adhere to the policy of "we think that Team A would beat Team B, therefore Team A must be ranked higher". To me, that is guesswork and makes ranking sloppy and unsophisticated.

I don't want to deal with guesses or unknowns. I want to deal with what has actually happened on the field.

In essence, we try to rank "resumes" with, of course, some of our own ideas about the best teams sprinkled in.

Let's look at the five that you've mentioned...

GALAX -- I agree that, on the field, the Tide are probably one of the top ten, maybe even top five. However, what we KNOW about them is that they've won two games and lost four. Granted, they lost to four good teams and even beat one good one, but 2-4 is 2-4 and should not be ranked. Would hate to see them in the postseason if I had a team in the field.

RAPPAHANNOCK -- Love the defense that they are playing (49 points in six games) but hate the fact that they have played only one team with a winning record and that they lost 20-2 to a 3-3 Washington & Lee team. Auburn sports the same 5-1 record with only one win over a team above .500 but they're only loss came to a 5-1 team by a score of 14-6 and Auburn has played even better defense allowing only 39 points in six games. Auburn has also outscored Rappahanock on offense 223-154.

ALTAVISTA -- Auburn's SOS on VHSL-Reference.com is 27.8, Altavista's is slightly better at 32.0. Each has only beaten one team with a winning record and the Colonels have lost twice though six games, though both were close. They were very nearly in the top ten this week but there is absolutely no way that they can be in ahead of our next team...

CENTRAL -- Lunenburg beat Altavista head-to-head and sports the same 4-2 mark. That makes them an easy call to be ahead of the Colonels. Their SOS is better than Auburn's, but the Chargers cannot be ranked ahead of William Campbell, a 4-2 team who beat them head-to-head which is why William Campbell got the #10 spot. @pcken , if you don't like Franklin being in the top ten after allowing 60 points to Brunswick, I'm sure that you would not enjoy seeing Central in after they were hit for 70 by Buckingham County.

LURAY -- Their SOS is 25.8 which is worse than Auburn's, they have only one win over a team with a winning record and their loss (40-8 to Riverheads) is worse than Auburn's (14-6 to Parry McCluer).

I like being involved in the rankings and I like discussing them because there really is no right or wrong answers, so I'm willing to be swayed. It's just takes a lot more work than saying, "I think Luray would beat Auburn" or "I saw both teams and A was better than B".

The discussion about rankings is fun because it makes me challenge what I believe and how I look at the teams.

Hopefully, my discussion helps you think about your ideas about teams too.

Reactions: mmqp
Who yall got this week mmqp?

James River. This game will tell us all we need to know about the Blues I believe.

The Knights have had our number over the last 10 seasons, losing only once (last year). So I'm looking forward to it!

That's right I forgot you and I have already talked about this game and you are right this is a game that will tell a lot about PM. Should be a good game JR beat Radford who to a lot of people is the best team in the West 1A so if PM can beat them they will quickly be at the top of the conversation.

James River has played everyone tough this year, losing by only 10 to an excellent 3A school in Lord Botetourt and by only 5 to defending state champion Glenvar.

I was still surprised that they beat Radford because of all I have heard about the Bobcats this season. But after reading where Radford struggled with Fort Chiswell (they were losing at one point 23-20?) I think the verdict is still out.

By the way- I know you have mentioned that GW's pass D is suspect, but dear God their pass D has to be better than what I saw out of San Fran the other night! Smh

Yeah Radford was down to fc at one point but so was GW they did the same thing we did and that was we didn't take fc as any type of threat and they caught us both early but after the talent level started to show the score took a huge turn in both games. And yeah GW's pass D looked horrible early in the season but for the past few weeks it has looked very good. Much better that the 49ers has lol we have all the pieces to be good we just cant put it together all at once.

SOS --- per the VHSL reference

Auburn played Bath and Craig County and you can't tell me that they are better than Madison Co. or Wilson or even remotely close in talent level. However according to reference SOS they are close....

Auburn played Bath and Craig County and you can't tell me that they are better than Madison Co. or Wilson or even remotely close in talent level. However according to reference SOS they are close....

If you could publish your SOS feelings, I'd be happy to take a close look at them as a reference point.

Though a week behind, Gilliam's Ratings has Luray as the 263rd toughest in state and Auburn's at 273.

You are correct Auburn talent level will not match up with many teams period. They are beating teams because of there coach and his approach. Schools like Auburn , bland, narrows, bath , Eastmont etc. are all limited on there talent level. After watching the Glenvar / Giles game after I watched the Pulaski/ c burg game Glenvar and Giles would beat both these 4a teams, so to ask auburn to compete and beat these teams is unrealistic .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT