VaPreps All Region
Staff
Jul 5, 2008
1 Riverheads Staunton 7-0
The Gladiators stayed on top of the rankings with a 73-30 win over Page County
2 Essex Tappahannock 6-1
The Trojans blanked Colonial Beach 41-0 to hold their #2 spot
3 Radford Radford 5-2
Despite their 35-27 loss to Giles, the Bobcats remain in the #3 spot in this week's rankings
4 George Wythe Wytheville 6-1
The Maroons scored a 35-0 win over Chilhowie to hold their position
5 J I Burton Norton 6-1
The Raiders enjoyed the week off with a bye
6 Franklin Franklin 5-1
The Broncos climbed three spots after topping #8 Sussex 20-12
7 Parry Mccluer Buena Vista 5-2
The Fighting Blues felled to James River 21-0 and fell one spot in the rankings
8 Sussex Central Sussex 5-2
The Tigers suffered a 20-12 loss to Franklin but held their spot
9 Honaker Honaker 5-2
The Tigers vaulted back in the rankings following their 49-22 win over Hurley
10 Auburn Riner 5-2
The Eagles were dropped by Glenvar 38-0 and dropped three spots in the rankings

@GOAT - Sorry if this causes you a headache. It caused me one trying to figure it out
what-not-to-say-to-short-girls-3.gif

Sorry for anyone that read the other post I had, I was temporarily blinded. Didn't even see Franklin at the 6 spot. Things are shaping up as we head down the stretch.

Last edited:
1A has a very shallow talent pool.... there is a pretty steep drop off after the top couple

I just think William Campbell and Lunenberg would be huge favorites vs. anyone ranked 7-10 on this this.

Last edited:
1A has a very shallow talent pool.... there is a pretty steep drop off after the top couple

I just think William Campbell and Lunenberg would be huge favorites vs. anyone ranked 7-10 on this this.

I would favor the William Campbell, Lunenberg and Altavista trio (in that order) over the bottom of the top ten in actual games but Campbell's three losses (55-12, 40-14 and 51-30) are just so big that I can logically put them in there yet.

I used an absurd amount of paper drawing arrows all over the place trying to figure this week's rankings out.

It really looks like a five-team race for the title right now, maybe four.

I agree with you rod but here is my top 10 regardless of record.

Essex
Riverheads
Radford
William Campbell
Franklin
Sussex
George wythe
Honaker
Central lunenburg
Altavista (I admit I know nothing about burton)

I agree with you rod but here is my top 10 regardless of record.

Essex
Riverheads
Radford
William Campbell
Franklin
Sussex
George wythe
Honaker
Central lunenburg
Altavista (I admit I know nothing about burton)

Good looking list. I'd probably have Galax in above Altavista for an "eye test" top ten, but there's a thin line there

I like the way you have it now Rob but if I had to take someone out I'm going with Auburn and putting Galax in there spot the Maroon Tide is a far better team than a lot give them credit for. I think they could beat anyone from 5-10 and would give 1-4 all they could handle.

I like the way you have it now Rob but if I had to take someone out I'm going with Auburn and putting Galax in there spot the Maroon Tide is a far better team than a lot give them credit for. I think they could beat anyone from 5-10 and would give 1-4 all they could handle.

Yeah, if I were picking the game, I'd take Galax over Auburn

And now looking at burtons schedule I think Galax would walk over them to they have only played Union who is as good as advertised and Honaker. The rest of the teams they have played or have left to play are really bad and will only hurt them come playoff time in seeding and ability to compete with some of the teams.

And now looking at burtons schedule I think Galax would walk over them to they have only played Union who is as good as advertised and Honaker. The rest of the teams they have played or have left to play are really bad and will only hurt them come playoff time in seeding and ability to compete with some of the teams.

And who has GW played other than Radford and Galax? Just sayin.

Well since a lot of people like to go off of what a teams record is lets see we have played. Radford 6-1 Honaker 5-2 Northwood 6-2 we have PH coming up this week 6-1 and RR last game at 5-2. And we've played and beat Galax 3-4 who is a very good team and would embarrass burtons whole schedule except Union and maybe Honaker. So yeah from the looks of that all of those teams are far better than literally 80% of burtons opponents. That is mathematical fact by the numbers GW has played and will play a far better schedule than burton will.

So Burton beats Honaker 28-0 and they are not worthy of top 10

I know you say this because you seen Galax and not seen Burton as I have seen Burton and have not seen galax BUT don't let Burtons record fool you. The Raiders ARE LEGIT. I'm telling you they have grown men playing down there in norton. Their offensive and defensive lines are legit d1 size. They have 4 290 plus all over 6'. They are very impressive. I'll gladly eat my crow if the time comes but I'll bet the house they don't get (walked over ) and by thay I mean get blown out by anybody in the 1a ranks.

I know you say this because you seen Galax and not seen Burton as I have seen Burton and have not seen galax BUT don't let Burtons record fool you. The Raiders ARE LEGIT. I'm telling you they have grown men playing down there in norton. Their offensive and defensive lines are legit d1 size. They have 4 290 plus all over 6'. They are very impressive. I'll gladly eat my crow if the time comes but I'll bet the house they don't get (walked over ) and by thay I mean get blown out by anybody in the 1a ranks.

I think people will change their tune on Burton when they play better in a state title game. I watched them play in two (William Campbell and Altavista) and they were very overmatched. In fact, the real state title in 2009 was played between Altavista and West Point in an extremely cold and wet mud bowl. I know that isn't fair to compare 2015 J.I. Burton to teams of the past, but it is what it is. Clintwood rectified those same comparisons by winning a state in 2011, its up to the Black Raiders to do the same. Best of luck to Burton!

Let me say I think the rankings are a cool feature. But, there has to be more to them than just a resume'. Otherwise, your simply regurgitating the VHSL points. Anyone with a smidgeon of football knowledge that has seen Honaker, Auburn, Bland would know they don't belong in the top 10. The first half of the season I can see the rankings being justified by their resume, but after that there needs to be some logic and predictive outcomes figured into the mix. And that's just my worthless opinion lol,

Let me say I think the rankings are a cool feature. But, there has to be more to them than just a resume'. Otherwise, your simply regurgitating the VHSL points. Anyone with a smidgeon of football knowledge that has seen Honaker, Auburn, Bland would know they don't belong in the top 10. The first half of the season I can see the rankings being justified by their resume, but after that there needs to be some logic and predictive outcomes figured into the mix. And that's just my worthless opinion lol,

It's a valid point and one that is considered, but the question then becomes how do you pull off the "eye test" evaluations?

I mean, I watch a ton of film and see almost every good team in the state at least once, but that can't replace actually seeing teams live and, without teams playing a lot of common opponents, the film can lie to you. Therefore, resumes, to me, is the most logical way of going about it where opinions can be justified. It's not like anyone in the state has seen all top ten-fifteen teams live, right?

Still, we use a healthy dose of eye test, but I have it much lower on the priority list than others.

The VHSL power points? Never use them as a tool so, if we look like their rankings, it is merely coincidental.

Let me ask this....

Using the smidgen of football knowledge, how would you rank Essex versus Riverheads?

When the Trojans lost to James Monroe, the two were flipped in our rankings and there was 2-3 people who argued that Essex should have remained on top.

Yet, after seven games, Riverheads had:

a) a better record
b) had higher SOS
c) had scored more points
d) allowed fewer points and
e) had more quality wins

How would one justify ranking Essex higher other than saying, "I just think that Essex would beat them"?

That, to me, is where the eye test fails miserably

I'm just running off at the mouth cause I got off early, but to me, there are teams that would have to play each other for one to know who would win, like Essex and RH, and then there are teams like Bland or perhaps Auburn, that most could correctly predict the outcome. Kinda like the weekly Pick Em. Most people in the know will know if a 5-1 team will or would lose to a 3-2 team, and would correctly predict such. Overall, my thoughts are that by this point in the season, the Top 10 should be a reflection of what the final standings will look like after the championship game, because I think there is enough data to forecast it. That's just my personal belief and how my mind is wired. Everybody, and certainly the owners and operators of this site, can and should do as they see fit. That's what makes it fun

Sometimes overthinking it especially when dealing with 300+ schools.

SOS in high school is a variable that can't be figured out with a formula
VHSL reference has Narrows and Auburn as as a 46+ point SOS index
so
for SOS purposed they would be a better win than
Brunswick, Stuarts Draft, Gretna, Wise,

:)

I'm just running off at the mouth cause I got off early, but to me, there are teams that would have to play each other for one to know who would win, like Essex and RH, and then there are teams like Bland or perhaps Auburn, that most could correctly predict the outcome. Kinda like the weekly Pick Em. Most people in the know will know if a 5-1 team will or would lose to a 3-2 team, and would correctly predict such. Overall, my thoughts are that by this point in the season, the Top 10 should be a reflection of what the final standings will look like after the championship game, because I think there is enough data to forecast it. That's just my personal belief and how my mind is wired. Everybody, and certainly the owners and operators of this site, can and should do as they see fit. That's what makes it fun

Yeah, I love these discussions because I think that both sides have a lot of validity to their opinions. I could discuss both sides of the coin all day.

The great case this season is Galax.

I think that most people believe, as do I, that they are probably a top five team, for sure a top ten one.

However, with a 3-4 record, their resume is just not very good. Though I wouldn't call it a hard-standing rule, I'm not inclined to put a below .500 team in the rankings, unless a team is 0-1 or maybe 1-2 given the right matchups. I think that there has to be a premium on winning.

For example, if the season ended today, shouldn't Bland feel much, much better about their season than Galax even though most (maybe all) thinking that the Tide are the better team?

All in all, the big moves in the rankings come during the postseason when we see much, much more head-to-head action because, after those games, we have PROOF that one team is better than the other.

To me, that is the key. The proof.

Might not be the traditional way, might not be the best way. It is interesting though, right?

Sometimes overthinking it especially when dealing with 300+ schools.

SOS in high school is a variable that can't be figured out with a formula
VHSL reference has Narrows and Auburn as as a 46+ point SOS index
so
for SOS purposed they would be a better win than
Brunswick, Stuarts Draft, Gretna, Wise,

Gilliams SOS is different than VHSL

ETA: I do admire your debating strategy though as, without posting a top ten of your own, you always fight from a position of strength, never actually throwing yourself into the arena

So, if you were asked to predict a winner between Galax and say Auburn, whom would you pick? Why? This is what I'm alluding to, at this point in the season, no one besides an Auburn player parent would pick them or bet money on them to beat Galax, barring an injury or something weird. So, in my mind, regardless of records, Galax should be ranked ahead of them. Of course it's interesting, it's football lol. All in all, it's good to see some of the schools without a strong pedigree get some face time.

So, if you were asked to predict a winner between Galax and say Auburn, whom would you pick? Why? This is what I'm alluding to, at this point in the season, no one besides an Auburn player parent would pick them or bet money on them to beat Galax, barring an injury or something weird. So, in my mind, regardless of records, Galax should be ranked ahead of them. Of course it's interesting, it's football lol. All in all, it's good to see some of the schools without a strong pedigree get some face time.

I'd take Galax, for sure, because I think that they would win and the purpose of making predictions is to be right.

And this is where we part ways....I don't think that the purpose of ranking top ten teams is to be right on predictions. I think that their purpose is to accurately show what has happened to date.

One (predictions) is about the future, the other (rankings) is about the past.

Having said that, if Galax 4-3, putting them within a game of Auburn's 5-2, I'd probably rank the Tide higher because, as previously noted, eye test does mean something to me. It's just not the highest priority.

I'd take Galax, for sure, because I think that they would win and the purpose of making predictions is to be right.

And this is where we part ways....I don't think that the purpose of ranking top ten teams is to be right on predictions. I think that their purpose is to accurately show what has happened to date.

One (predictions) is about the future, the other (rankings) is about the past.

Having said that, if Galax 4-3, putting them within a game of Auburn's 5-2, I'd probably rank the Tide higher because, as previously noted, eye test does mean something to me. It's just not the highest priority.
Auburn is playing teams like Glenvar, PM, Radford and Giles, how many 1a teams can beat those teams. Then you play them in a row, tough on any team, Galax is a great team, there record is what it is because they have played those teams this year. If you look at the 1A west teams like Radford, GW , Galax , PM and Auburn will be battle tested for playing these teams, can't speak for the far SW teams not sure who they play . Auburn is a middle of the pack 1a west team, they don't have the athletes to compete at the next level, Coach has done a great job, from
0-39 to 3 straight non losing seasons and playoff appearance , To argue there ranking is laughable.

Auburn is playing teams like Glenvar, PM, Radford and Giles, how many 1a teams can beat those teams. Then you play them in a row, tough on any team, Galax is a great team, there record is what it is because they have played those teams this year. If you look at the 1A west teams like Radford, GW , Galax , PM and Auburn will be battle tested for playing these teams, can't speak for the far SW teams not sure who they play . Auburn is a middle of the pack 1a west team, they don't have the athletes to compete at the next level, Coach has done a great job, from
0-39 to 3 straight non losing seasons and playoff appearance , To argue there ranking is laughable.

That's true. Talking about football and stuff is dumb. Peoples ain't never learned nothing from debating and discussing.

Oh no doubt they are legit any team who has a chance to go 9-1 is legit and I may be wrong also and like you said I haven't seen them. But I just feel like with Who Galax has played would have them ready for Burton and Galax has seen those sizez lines from a few teams with GW, Giles and Probably Glenvar. But like we say let the kids play and us talk lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT