ADVERTISEMENT

New William Fleming Coach

Congrats again Lace! Fleming has hired a great leader of men who can relate to the kids, is young, passionate, energetic and just a great overall role model. As long as he gets the right support from the community, sky is the limit over there on Ferncliff! Won't happen overnight but when it happens, Fleming will be a force.

Good hire, I can see them being Roanoke relevant, but 5A ball is big boy football. I can see FC in 6A with Edwards and PH in 5A with Fiddler being Roanoke relevant as well in time, but state relevant for those 3 isolated teams in 5/6A, I just don't see it. I mean no disrespect for any of those teams, but their regular season schedule of 3/4A teams just don't prepare them for the playoffs. I realize they are isolated and are really at a disadvantage and it's not their fault, but they would need to be playing exceptional 4A teams about every week to get ready for teams like Highland Springs, Stone Bridge, Tuscarora in 5A or Westfield, Oscar Smith in 6A.

Last edited:
Nothing against this coach because I know absolutely nothing about him but I will believe it when I see it. I think we said the same thing about the coach that just left and the one before him. Fleming should be better that they have been in the last few years and I cannot put a finger on it but simply having athletes is not going to get it done. The community has to buy in and trust the coaches . The fans have to show up. It is a lot of things.

They said the same thing about EC Glass. Look what’s happening now. Coach Lovelace is no stranger to turning programs around.
It’s typical for Salem fans to give their discredit. Lyhsports, we know what Coach Lovelace is capable of and we fully support him, so that’s all that matter. If he has One Man’s approval then he has mine too. This young man is just what the Fleming community needs. Guys like Coach Lovelace, One Man and CatchTDs are role models and mentors to youngins like me. We need guys like them to keep the village afloat.

Nothing against this coach because I know absolutely nothing about him but I will believe it when I see it. I think we said the same thing about the coach that just left and the one before him. Fleming should be better that they have been in the last few years and I cannot put a finger on it but simply having athletes is not going to get it done. The community has to buy in and trust the coaches . The fans have to show up. It is a lot of things.

Everyone has an opinion. Doubting someone you don't know is an intriguing stance but again, no issue with your opinion. With how Fleming has performed recently, I understand your doubt.
I don't know how Martin and that staff ran things but I know what Lace is going to bring there. He runs the weight room himself and will implement the same grade policy they had at Glass. Students must have a 2.5 to play. At Glass they lost 20+ players in year 1 to that rule but boys that really want to play and want to be apart of something, got their act together and you saw the results. 1-9 to 6-4 to 7-3 with a playoff win in 3 seasons. 3.2 overall team gpa, which is crazy good for a city school! The structure of his program will be top notch. It will take time like I said but they got the right guy for this job.

Last edited:
The fans don't have to show up. Plenty of very good high school football teams have poor fan support.

It’s typical for Salem fans to give their discredit. Lyhsports, we know what Coach Lovelace is capable of and we fully support him, so that’s all that matter. If he has One Man’s approval then he has mine too. This young man is just what the Fleming community needs. Guys like Coach Lovelace, One Man and CatchTDs are role models and mentors to youngins like me. We need guys like them to keep the village afloat.
No discredit in that statement and probably not typical of Salem but it is typical of other fan bases and the environment out there today to generalize based upon one statement that they read into one social media statement..I wish the young man lots of good will and hope he can get it done..

Reactions: one man
Well if that's what it takes then, Fleming will definitely be one of the better teams in the Roanoke area in a few years. There's no one better to earn community support and trust than Jamar Lovelace.

Last edited:
I don't know how Martin and that staff ran things but I know what Lace is going to bring there. He runs the weightroom himself and will implement the same grade policy they had at Glass. Students must have a 2.5 to play. At Glass they lost 20+ players in year 1 to that rule but boys that really want to play and want to be apart of something, got their act together and you saw the results. 1-9 to 5-5 to 7-3 with a playoff win in 3 seasons. 3.2 overall team gpa, which is crazy good for a city school! The structure of his program will be top notch. It will take time like I said but they got the right guy for this job.
We were 6-4 year two...just fyi :D

No discredit in that statement and probably not typical of Salem but it is typical of other fan bases and the environment out there today to generalize based upon one statement that they read into one social media statement..I wish the young man lots of good will and hope he can get it done..
Not going to highjack the thread (will be my last post) to the monumental accomplishment by Coach Lovelace, but... Whole post sounded like negativity and discredit to me..Anyway, life goes on. Good luck to Coach Lovelace . Sports Head out!

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Lovelace is an intriguing hire he definitely will be able to identify and reach out to these kids in WF. The program will not be rebuilt overnight however there has always been talent roaming the halls, no matter what the sport. There's a reason Northside was dipping in the well and their success showed. There will be a learning curve as players and coaches have to get close to one another but he will make the necessary changes to resurge the energy in WF. Amazing accomplishment, the guy has been a winner everywhere he went following his graduation from brookville. Hampden Sydney to the Bees to Mustangs of Monticello, to the Glass Toppers, just like Novocain give it a little time and it will kick in.

I wish nothing but the best for him. I hope it works out, if it does stay and build a dynasty if it doesn't, learn from it and move on!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
If Northside was " dipping in the well" this came from parents who thought that Coach Martin was not treating them right and Northside took advantage in that regard. I remember another coach who had a similar problem. He is now coach for Glenvar and has brought that program to new heights. Again, Coach Lovelace may be the perfect hire but each situation is different, each school is different. I am rooting for him but it won't be easy. When " Kila Miller" roamed the halls at Fleming you could institute some form of punishment without reprisals from parents and administrators.

http://www.roanoke.com/webmin/news/...cle_338cc745-3b9e-59cd-bb2c-7ab459b57eaf.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT