ADVERTISEMENT

Next week...

nvm

I looked it up.

I agree, those two games are stellar 4A matchups for week 2 of the season!
A lot of teams are going to find out where they are with their conditioning, preparation and talent next Friday night!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
gwb16 is the primary Packers fan, but I think I remember one or two more that showed interest in Smithfield.

I'm sort of a fan because of my buddy gwb. And I'm sorry gwb, I will not be rooting for your Packers this week.

Smithfield got its name from the world class pork business there, recently bought by the Chinese. The local Daily Press writer said this could be their best team in years. Maybe- they lost their div 1 WR and leading rusher from last year and some key defensive players. But they get back their starting Qb who passed for 1600 yards and ran for a little over 1000. He is very quick and scrambles with the best and is an accurate passer. He is the key. Stop him and Smithfield is stopped. Last year the Lafayette defense held them to one offensive Td. The game was at Smithfield which is one of the few fields down here that is still grass. They are used to playing on worn grass so that will help at Dinwiddie. Of the 10 BRD only three have have grass. The only negative is that in key games Smithfield has often not played their best game. Latest example was blowing out Grafton by 40 points in game 10 last year and the following week in playoff game 1 at home against the same Grafton team with no major injuries losing badly. Very interesting game!!

Smithfield got its name from the world class pork business there, recently bought by the Chinese. The local Daily Press writer said this could be their best team in years. Maybe- they lost their div 1 WR and leading rusher from last year and some key defensive players. But they get back their starting Qb who passed for 1600 yards and ran for a little over 1000. He is very quick and scrambles with the best and is an accurate passer. He is the key. Stop him and Smithfield is stopped. Last year the Lafayette defense held them to one offensive Td. The game was at Smithfield which is one of the few fields down here that is still grass. They are used to playing on worn grass so that will help at Dinwiddie. Of the 10 BRD only three have have grass. The only negative is that in key games Smithfield has often not played their best game. Latest example was blowing out Grafton by 40 points in game 10 last year and the following week in playoff game 1 at home against the same Grafton team with no major injuries losing badly. Very interesting game!!
No worn grass at Dinwiddie. It looked like a golf course last night. Thick, tight prescription Bermuda, and no bald spots.
Yep!

As a Virginian, when I hear Smithfield I automatically think SWINE!!!

I figured they had a huge slaughterhouse / packing facility down there.
It's a huge facility. Very clean and well run. The Chinese may own it, but the work is done my proud American workers. Smithfield could note have come up with a more respectable name than the "Packers" to reflect their hometown.

Here's wishing them a 9-1 season!

No worn grass at Dinwiddie. It looked like a golf course last night. Thick, tight prescription Bermuda, and no bald spots.

It's a huge facility. Very clean and well run. The Chinese may own it, but the work is done my proud American workers. Smithfield could note have come up with a more respectable name than the "Packers" to reflect their hometown.

Here's wishing them a 9-1 season!
I would prefer 8-2, thank you!

And good luck with the grass in late November!

I feel JF/magna Vista will be the best game of next week. I think this game will go a long way for both teams. It is almost a must win for JF if they want to make the 4a playoffs(losing to two 3a schools back to back could mean doom for them) especially with GW the week after and playing a tough Seminole district schedule.
I agree. JF should win. MV only beat Dan River by 2 scores and Dan River turned the ball over 9 times. Note I did say 4a games :p

I agree. JF should win. MV only beat Dan River by 2 scores and Dan River turned the ball over 9 times. Note I did say 4a games :p
MV has got some serious attitude problems. A lot of stupid, unecessary penalties. Way to much show-boating. They were probably lucky, and caught a group of officials that was more tolerant than most. One or more would have probably been ejected by a less tolerant group of officials. One fan was so disgusted by the onfield behavior of her Warriors, she just went home. Chestbeating while standing over an injuried player. He should have been tossed.

Last edited:
MV has got some serious attitude problems. A lot of stupid, unecessary penalties. Way to much show-boating. They were probably lucky, and caught a group of officials that was more tolerant than most. One or more would have probably been ejected by a less tolerant group of officials. One fan was so discussted by the onfield behavior of her Warriors, she just went home. Chestbeating while standing over an injuried player. He should have been tossed.
Yep. Sounds like Magna Vista. I've told several people that GW gets a bad rap but MV is 5-10x worst but they can afford to do it in 3a. They were way worst when I was in high school when they were apart of the old Piedmont District when GW, Halifax and FC were in the Western Valley. Those attitude problems kept them from winning states in 2010 and 2011. They are usually very arrogant and mouthy. I like MV but I'm just being honest.

When Heritage played them in 2015 I did not think magna Vista was that bad. They had and still have great athletes. The coaching staff does a great job teaching them how to run there scheme but can't control them inside the white lines on Friday. They are a confident group but teeter the line.

I think Dinwiddie is more of a measuring stick for Smithfield than the other way around. If Smithfield can stay in the game then they are instantly certified as viable amongst the 4A ranks. Even though Dinwiddie won HUGE, from looking at the box score it doesn't look like they got too many reps in. I was actually baffeled how they scored so many points until I read Navy's report.

The path to "undefeatedness" in the west is going to be more difficult than I originally thought. Last nights game with GW and LCA is what I meant by "this game will tell us a lot"

I think GW gets it done against Amherst. I think Dinwiddie is triumphant as well. I think dinwiddie wins by 3 TD's bc I think K Pope can figure out a way to score twice a game if he really wants to. I'll take GW x 10pts.

I think favero will address that this week, especially with the lineman getting ejected last night. That first unsportsmanlike penalty was prob the most vocal ive heard him on a player.. those penalty yards are just uncalled for, and kills momentum.

No more recent info on that BTW. But, Dominion Energy bought the entire Southside Training Center across from Central State Hospital and will bulldoze the entire complex. They are building a tremendous new office complex and regional warehouse along with an outside storage facility encompassing a total of several hundred acres.

I would be more than happy to invite fans to "Dominion Energy Field!"

I think favero will address that this week, especially with the lineman getting ejected last night. That first unsportsmanlike penalty was prob the most vocal ive heard him on a player.. those penalty yards are just uncalled for, and kills momentum.
I had not heard that there was actually an ejection. What is that, a one game suspension if it was not fighting related?

I had not heard that there was actually an ejection. What is that, a one game suspension if it was not fighting related?
Yea i think its one game sit out... it was a little chippy in the 4th and chris scales had pile of DR players on him. One of our lineman kinda threw his arm back and swung. He realized as soon as he done it he shouldn't have. Both teams had unsportsmanlike on that play. Lots of mouthing off

I'll be interested to see if Amherst "gets up" for GW like they do for Salem. Neither team played much D yesterday so it could be a nice shootout game, exciting for fans.
I hope they do because they came out pumped

I think Dinwiddie is more of a measuring stick for Smithfield than the other way around. If Smithfield can stay in the game then they are instantly certified as viable amongst the 4A ranks. Even though Dinwiddie won HUGE, from looking at the box score it doesn't look like they got too many reps in. I was actually baffeled how they scored so many points until I read Navy's report.

The path to "undefeatedness" in the west is going to be more difficult than I originally thought. Last nights game with GW and LCA is what I meant by "this game will tell us a lot"

I think GW gets it done against Amherst. I think Dinwiddie is triumphant as well. I think dinwiddie wins by 3 TD's bc I think K Pope can figure out a way to score twice a game if he really wants to. I'll take GW x 10pts.
Totally agree on Dinwiddie/Smithfield game. Smithfield will be good but I am just not sure how good until this game is over. This had to be the best opponent Smithfield has played in a very long time. An excellent benchmark for game 1 for Smithfield. Excellent for Lafayette to know exactly what's coming at them the following week.

Reactions: mbonape1
Next week is as close to a must win as you can get in week #2 for Amherst. They will dig themselves a huge hole if they open 0-2 at home against two 4A peers and are still staring at the Seminole District regular season schedule. It will also be a better barometer of exactly what GW does or does not have in terms of being a 4A playoff contender or pretender.

Next week is as close to a must win as you can get in week #2 for Amherst. They will dig themselves a huge hole if they open 0-2 at home against two 4A peers and are still staring at the Seminole District regular season schedule. It will also be a better barometer of exactly what GW does or does not have in terms of being a 4A playoff contender or pretender.
I agree on both points. If Amherst loses to GW next week that will be a difficult hole to dig out of with Blacksburg, Brookville, JF, LCA, Heritage, and Glass left on the schedule.

Dudes it's week one! Amherst is fine , and even they lose they could go 8-2.

Totally agree on Dinwiddie/Smithfield game. Smithfield will be good but I am just not sure how good until this game is over. This had to be the best opponent Smithfield has played in a very long time. An excellent benchmark for game 1 for Smithfield. Excellent for Lafayette to know exactly what's coming at them the following week.
Smithfield is not ready for. A Dinwiddie caliber team, nothing wrong with that because most teams are not ready. But they could respectable , and come back during the playoffs and win some games

Amherst struggled defensively, not sure they want to see a team that just put up 49 but not much you can do about it. They've got a damn tough schedule, though, if they manage 9-1/8-2 or even 7-3 that would be a gutsy season.

Seminole will be interesting to watch, I think it's going to end up eating itself though and the best team might even pop out at 8-2.

Reactions: VolNation85
Is Smithfield 4A?
I ask because Woodgrove plays Massaponax (5A) next Friday and I think that is going to be tough matchup for both teams.

Tom if you guys can hang in there with Massopanox or win you can forget about a "rebuilding year" your right back in the fray.

Reactions: Tom Potter
Yeah.

It is going to be a tough game!

Woodgrove finds out were they are Friday night.

Woodgrove is starting a lot of under classmen this year and only have 13 Seniors on the team.

Side note: I played football in H.S. for Massaponax Head Coach Eric Ludden!

He was an offensive minded Assistant Coach for JEB Stuart under Head Coach Tom Arehart!

Dudes it's week one! Amherst is fine , and even they lose they could go 8-2.
You are correct it is week one going in to week two and you are also correct that even with another loss they could still go 8-2. Given the playoff format they could absorb even additional losses and make it. The urgency arises from the huge advantage to be gained from an extended home field run in the playoffs and that might not occur at 8-2 and is certainly not a possibility with even more losses. In this area home field is huge because of the potential for lengthy trips to opponents while the trips are generally significantly shorter in other regions.

With the new region format the trips really arent that long for the class 4 schools (2 hrs tops). The semis will be a long ride for c and d. We talked about this in the off season and region b has the longest trips depending on who is playing (example: Dinwiddie/Monacan to EV 2+hrs).

Reactions: hamspear
With the new region format the trips really arent that long for the class 4 schools (2 hrs tops). The semis will be a long ride for c and d. We talked about this in the off season and region b has the longest trips depending on who is playing (example: Dinwiddie/Monacan to EV 2+hrs).
I must have missed that discussion so I will have to educate myself a little further if I can find alignments on new VHSL site in order to verify my initial perceptions. I will say that was not my initial perception based on memory as I still felt Region D, which if memory serves, stretches from Charlottesville to Danville to Carroll County and Pulaski was still the most geographically disparate. Couple that with the Region C semis pairing and I know my initial reaction was not much had changed in terms of travel. For example in GW's case they just traded a drive through Richmond to get to Fredericksburg for a trip to Winchester or Loudon County. My initial feeling was Regions A and C were pretty tightly aligned with B being spread a little more, however, I did not think any of the three approached Region D in terms of overall travel.

The current system (VHSL) determines a winner from each region then (a plays b) and (c plays d) for the right to go to Williamsburg. I was not saying you were wrong as I don't know the travel times exactly, but in our previous discussion the normal playoff contenders were considered and the longest distances calculated. This is an example: Region D Danville to Salem is 1:50, Salem to Charlottesville 1:59, Region B Dinwiddie to Eastern View is 2:16, Monacan to Eastern View 1:50 Dinwiddie to King George 1:53.

Any trip North or South on 95 is a bear with traffic, so add 15-20 minutes to the drive. I did not consider Carroll County in my argument, because they are not going to be a playoff contender. Lynchburg is 1:15 or less for most school in region d. Region A and C have very little travel. Region B is really spread out in pods: Group one Dinwiddie, Monacan, Hanover and Powhatan are within an hour of each other. Group 2 Eastern View, King George and the Fredericksburg area schools are within a half hour of each other. The longest trips occur when someone from group one plays group 2.

I totally agree with you on the semis. c and d travel will be longer. Example: Salem to Sherando 2:38, Chancellor to Lake Taylor 2:20.

Amendment: Now that I evaluate it more Danville to Blacksburg would be the longest trip, so b and d are about the same. I stand corrected.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT