ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Besides Riverheads and Galax, who are some other teams that we can expect to make some noise next year? Region A as a whole looks as if they could be down. I look for Sussex to be strong. What about C and D and any other teams that could surprise.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Besides Riverheads and Galax, who are some other teams that we can expect to make some noise next year? Region A as a whole looks as if they could be down. I look for Sussex to be strong. What about C and D and any other teams that could surprise.
I think Essex will be in the mix as always and agree Sussex was fairly young they should be in the mix as well. If I remember Franklin was young as well and should be much improved. I thought WC would be better this year because they were young last year. Not sure what happened to them or how they will fair in 2020. They definitely have the athletes to make some noise in region B.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Guess it just depends if you have those maroon colored glasses on or not as to whether or not you see things objectively. If “talent” has got you through the las few years and you know the well is drying up you have to blame someone. I just have a hard time blaming a coach that has the stats that Harner has. If he goes, and I don’t blame him if he does, who or what are you gonna have to blame things on? The parents aren’t gonna buy in so what’s the next step?

I would assume it will be the usual suspects vying for the top 4-8 spots, along with Riverheads and Galax you'll see Essex, Sussex, GW, PH and 2 other fill ins. But at the end of the day I expect a rematch of yesterdays two teams, at least I'm hoping for it. Otherwise we'll have a yawner like we had the three years prior.

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
I believe you see a rematch next year but I hope it’s not a yawner. And I do also think you see a lot of familiar faces. Or usual suspects as you say. I believe riverheads is solid enough to be in the big game until casto steps down and maybe long after. I just see from the west side of the state that one particular team isn’t willing to pass the torch to a more”talented” group even when the numbers don’t lie.

I don’t know what it’s like out east but for the last few year riverheads has dominated that side of the bracket. I still don’t see teams like Essex complaining about their coaches. I don’t see Sussex complaining about the beating they took against a far superior TEAM. I seen teams and fans that look to build the program and hope that one day they earn the respect they work hard for.

I guess it’s just hard to sit back and watch somebody getting beat at half time 45-0 and complain about half time adjustments. Maybe I’m crazy but when that clock rolls in the second half like that my only thought would be Hoping you get all the kids on the bus safely.

Truth be told GW has nothing to hang their heads about this year. Record speaks for itself. Just can’t blame someone else when another TEAM is actually better on game day than you are. Instead of trying to find someone else to blame need to ask yourself as a parent or fan what can I do to help make it better....just a thought. Don’t impeach Harner. Some of you never have given the man a chance

Reactions: FootballArmy
I believe you see a rematch next year but I hope it’s not a yawner. And I do also think you see a lot of familiar faces. Or usual suspects as you say. I believe riverheads is solid enough to be in the big game until casto steps down and maybe long after. I just see from the west side of the state that one particular team isn’t willing to pass the torch to a more”talented” group even when the numbers don’t lie.

I don’t know what it’s like out east but for the last few year riverheads has dominated that side of the bracket. I still don’t see teams like Essex complaining about their coaches. I don’t see Sussex complaining about the beating they took against a far superior TEAM. I seen teams and fans that look to build the program and hope that one day they earn the respect they work hard for.

I guess it’s just hard to sit back and watch somebody getting beat at half time 45-0 and complain about half time adjustments. Maybe I’m crazy but when that clock rolls in the second half like that my only thought would be Hoping you get all the kids on the bus safely.

Truth be told GW has nothing to hang their heads about this year. Record speaks for itself. Just can’t blame someone else when another TEAM is actually better on game day than you are. Instead of trying to find someone else to blame need to ask yourself as a parent or fan what can I do to help make it better....just a thought. Don’t impeach Harner. Some of you never have given the man a chance

I honestly know nothing about Harner other than what people say on here. I think GW and Galax both need to focus on power run first and passing second. Just my humble opinion on it.

Galax would have won yesterday had they not gotten so pass happy before halftime and that pick 6 ended up being the difference. The week before that Essex was running the ball efficiently on their opening drive and then inexplicably chucked a long pass that got picked off, that killed any momentum they had and 14 seconds later they were down 7-0 and thats all she wrote. I think all 3 of those teams have the right idea in spreading Riverheads out on defense, but you have to stick with the run and hit them with the pass once you've established the run game, I know I know easier said than done.

I agree with you. Establish the run, then pass. Sounds like something that might get you about 4 titles in a row. If galax would have came out running in the first few possessions like they did in the second half might have been a different ball game. Who knows? Teams get trigger happy against riverheads and can’t say I blame em. If you knew you were about to fight MIke Tyson you’d probably be thinking about swinging a haymaker too. I know it would cross my mind. Instead the first little while you’d better be thinking about bobbing and weaving...lol

As for Harner don’t necessarily believe what you hear on here. I’ve never outside of this forum ever heard a bad word about the guy. His numbers should speak volumes in wythe co. Hell im sure the other two teams around here would embrace him and be glad to have him as their coach

That’s the way it’s always been and will always be at GW.

What does Region D look like next year? PH loses both of their top backs. What about their line and quarterback? Trying to get this thread back on track. If I wanted to hear more about GW and how they hate their coach, I'd go to another thread or two on here. Lol.

I agree with you. Establish the run, then pass. Sounds like something that might get you about 4 titles in a row. If galax would have came out running in the first few possessions like they did in the second half might have been a different ball game. Who knows? Teams get trigger happy against riverheads and can’t say I blame em. If you knew you were about to fight MIke Tyson you’d probably be thinking about swinging a haymaker too. I know it would cross my mind. Instead the first little while you’d better be thinking about bobbing and weaving...lol

As for Harner don’t necessarily believe what you hear on here. I’ve never outside of this forum ever heard a bad word about the guy. His numbers should speak volumes in wythe co. Hell im sure the other two teams around here would embrace him and be glad to have him as their coach
Ye I agree teams get trigger happy but not just against Riverheads. Most coaches dont have the patience to get 3 or 4 yds at a time. They want that home run. I truly believe if Galax never threw a pass they win.

I agree with Gladiatorfencepatrol, that would have been a 10-14 point Galax win if they had fed Brown. Now that said I am not sure they could run the lighter back repeatedly and gotten it done but Brown was a load to bring down. IMO in 1A its rare to have a back that big that has enough wiggle to be that effective at evading and with the ability to straight run over people. I will watch it again but he was impressive in person for sure.

I agree with Gladiatorfencepatrol, that would have been a 10-14 point Galax win if they had fed Brown. Now that said I am not sure they could run the lighter back repeatedly and gotten it done but Brown was a load to bring down. IMO in 1A its rare to have a back that big that has enough wiggle to be that effective at evading and with the ability to straight run over people. I will watch it again but he was impressive in person for sure.
Heck all we heard all year is how soft he is.....the smaller back is a load in his own right, they have two different running styles. Keaton hits the whole hard and runs down hill while Denver even with size was more patient waiting on things to open up but would lower that shoulder when he had to.....both styles work pretty well in our blocking schemes.....looking foward to next year

@MT FAN 91, how many starters will the Maroon Tide lose? I know Brown and Johnson were seniors on O but curious about the line and the defense. The freshman LB played well and will be a monster as he gains even more experience, definitely a player for the state to watch in the coming years. For Riverheads, I think on Offense its 4 (QB, Center, both TE's) and Defense its 5 (both DT's, DE, 2 DB's).

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Out of the ones that started on Saturday we lose 6, 3 skill players and 3 linemen plus one of our better linemen that didn't play due to injury on Saturday and bout the same on D minus 1. We should actually have plenty of skill players next year ( not to say we won't miss Brown, Bryson and Johnson because we will)and I'm sure Dixon will get the young line developed on both sides of the ball.

GW loses a lot and won’t compete for a Regional championship for a couple of years. They have a very talented group of 8th graders.
I agree here we may compete for one if we get a few to go our way that aren't supposed to. But if the cards fall like they should 6-4 is going to be a good record for 2 years. Once that group you're talking about comes up oh boy watch out. If you're gonna beat GW do it in the next 2-3 years after that its at least 2 years of handing out beatings lol.

But to the teams who should compete
Essex
Sussex
Auburn
Narrows (If they build on this season they'll be good)
PH
Holston (maybe few things need to go right)

I agree here we may compete for one if we get a few to go our way that aren't supposed to. But if the cards fall like they should 6-4 is going to be a good record for 2 years. Once that group you're talking about comes up oh boy watch out. If you're gonna beat GW do it in the next 2-3 years after that its at least 2 years of handing out beatings lol.

But to the teams who should compete
Essex
Sussex
Auburn
Narrows (If they build on this season they'll be good)
PH
Holston (maybe few things need to go right)

who will gw lose to?

@MT FAN 91, how many starters will the Maroon Tide lose? I know Brown and Johnson were seniors on O but curious about the line and the defense. The freshman LB played well and will be a monster as he gains even more experience, definitely a player for the state to watch in the coming years. For Riverheads, I think on Offense its 4 (QB, Center, both TE's) and Defense its 5 (both DT's, DE, 2 DB's).
and Skillman, he will be missed he was almost automatic, he missed very few extra points in his career

With PH committing to a wing type offense, do they have enough coming back from this year to carry on what they started this year. I am all in if they can stick with it and establish their identity as a smashmouth team. Teams don't like to get hit when on defense and most spread teams just don't punish the defense enough when they are on the field. That's a point our friend @mmqp has made for a few years with 1A teams. If you cant get under center at times and just run over people, you better be exceptional at what you do.

Chilhowie has set a standard in not dropping off after losing 20 some senior starters from the 2018 runnerup team. That's a whole bunch of players to replace so hats off to them.

Next year should be a wide open year in one sense, Essex will have another year removed from phenom KJ Dameron so they will be more comfortable with getting the ball to multiple players. Galax will be right back in the thick of it because of the culture of winning that the team has fostered and they have a great bunch of coaching to go with community by in. Not ready to say Narrows is able to repeat this years performance as I think they lose a good little bit but they could certainly surprise me and contend again. GW is what we think they are, solid with all kind of potential even if unrealized at times. Sussex is going about their business and lurking right at the edge of being really outstanding and the switch may get flipped next year. Franklin was young this year but hit like a sledgehammer, look out when they realize how good they can be. W&L, my enigma. I think they are better than they finished but I also believe they peaked early. Look for them to be on the hunt again and in contention.

I know I left a few teams off but honestly we could go on and on about the potential for success next year. Next season started on Sunday for those that either didn't like the way things finished for them or realized the things they needed to work on. For the record I am metaphorically speaking to a mindset of improvement over this years performance. I am hopeful that all these athletes are engaged in another sport to enhance their overall athleticism. I want to thank all of those that participated this year and allowed old farts like us to enjoy the Friday night lights for another season. Fall cant get here soon enough for me.

i think the freshman class they have is better than the 8th grade class. just my opinion.
The 9th grade team is pretty damn good lol thats why im saying over the next 2 year cause when the 7th grade is 10th the 8th is 11th and the 9th is 12th its over for 99% of teams we play

Rapp is losing a lot but still has dual threat KJ Gaines so they will have a shot to make things interesting in Region A. They also played & started quite a bit of freshman late in the NFL year/playoffs so that experience gainesld should help those young guys with losing so many seniors

Reactions: kwhs95fan
King and Queen returns nearly all of their skill guys, most of who will just be sophomores. They must replace 3 starters on the OL and 3 on the DL. With the success of this year's team, hopefully it will lead to more kids coming out, although there was 30 this year and that is a lot for a school of just 150 students total.

With PH committing to a wing type offense, do they have enough coming back from this year to carry on what they started this year. I am all in if they can stick with it and establish their identity as a smashmouth team. Teams don't like to get hit when on defense and most spread teams just don't punish the defense enough when they are on the field. That's a point our friend @mmqp has made for a few years with 1A teams. If you cant get under center at times and just run over people, you better be exceptional at what you do.

These spread teams could learn so much from Brad Bradley. His spread teams were never afraid to knock the crap out of their opponents. He also did something else that teams never attempt to do and that is to mess with the psyche of Riverheads and Coach Casto, I may not necessarily like that type of sportsmanship, but he knew how to get under Coach Casto's skin.

Most importantly, teams MUST get better at playcalling. Riverheads is just miles ahead of everyone else in that department.. I mean, dont get me wrong, they're ahead of all the teams in 1A and most if not all of 2A as it is, but their playcalling is nearly flawless by years end while everyone else is still floundering. It seems like Sussex and Galax are right on the cusp of what it takes, next year will be intriguing. The rest of 1A needs to take notes. Meanwhile Riverheads are the kings.

Last edited:
rhs srs played 3 years of varsity went 40 and 3 in 3 seasons, and 3 titles, i went back and seen if Skillman was kicker in 2016, he was not, so smiley and Armstrong have a chance to go out with winning 4 rings all 4 years what a accomplishment that would be

These spread teams could learn so much from Brad Bradley. His spread teams were never afraid to knock the crap out of their opponents. He also did something else that teams never attempt to do and that is to mess with the psyche of Riverheads and Coach Casto, I may not necessarily like that type of sportsmanship, but he knew how to get under Coach Casto's skin.

Most importantly, teams MUST get better at playcalling. Riverheads is just miles ahead of everyone else in that department.. I mean, dont get me wrong, they're ahead of all the teams in 1A and most if not all of 2A as it is, but their playcalling is nearly flawless by years end while everyone else is still floundering. It seems like Sussex and Galax are right on the cusp of what it takes, next year will be intriguing. The rest of 1A needs to take notes. Meanwhile Riverheads are the kings.
Galax had the team to beat Riverheads this year. A couple plays here and there and its a different outcome.

I agree this Galax team was built to beat Riverheads. I will forever wonder about the play calling in the first half for Galax as I just didn't see why they were trying to avoid calling big #1's number repeatedly. I look back at something that was said the first time they met in 2015 by a Galax fan/assistant coach. He said when they came out and ran their dive play to the left 2 or 3 times in a row and were successful with it, they knew that they could run at will and just kept running that play. I did not see that on Saturday until the second half even though Brown was getting very good yardage. I think I read that coach Dixon said that at the half when they looked at film they realized that they could run effectively and that is why the game plan changed to much more of a run centric offense. Plenty of good blocking up front and the backs were both good although to me there was certainly no doubt who the feature back was. For anyone that likes good football, that was a whale of a game with momentum swinging a few times and everyone in the stadium engaged in the action. Thank you to the players and coaches doesn't do justice but we should be so lucky as to see games like that on any week but most especially in the title game.

Bama: Since Riverheads routinely moves freshmen up to varsity for the playoffs, I guess I was assuming that at least some of this year's seniors were ALREADY getting their fourth rings.

Bama: Since Riverheads routinely moves freshmen up to varsity for the playoffs, I guess I was assuming that at least some of this year's seniors were ALREADY getting their fourth rings.
Any freshman that move up for the playoffs after the JV season is over dont receive rings. You have to be practicing with the varsity and dress out on Fridays in order to get a ring as a freshman.

Reactions: Bama1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT