ADVERTISEMENT

NFL question.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
If the player is in possession of the ball, is on the ground but NOT down by contact, and a defender slaps at the ball and it gets loose, is it a fumble? Or is swatting at and sticking the ball considered establishing down by contact?

I have no idea. I would guess he would be down, but ot sure so I'll reach out to one of my friends working in the NFL and see if I can get an answer.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Tom Eaton tells me the runner is down by contact in your play. Tom is a line judge in the NFL (No. 87, if you notice such things.) Tom is from sunny, sub-tropical Orlando, Florida, so the NFL had him finish his regular season in frigid Green Bay, with a first round playoff game in cold, cold Cincinnati, followed by an assignment as an alternate who has to stand out in the weather, in Buffalo this past Sunday. I think he was happy to get home.

Tom Eaton tells me the runner is down by contact in your play. Tom is a line judge in the NFL (No. 87, if you notice such things.) Tom is from sunny, sub-tropical Orlando, Florida, so the NFL had him finish his regular season in frigid Green Bay, with a first round playoff game in cold, cold Cincinnati, followed by an assignment as an alternate who has to stand out in the weather, in Buffalo this past Sunday. I think he was happy to get home.
Yeah, I would say he earned his last few checks.
Thanks for checking with him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT