ADVERTISEMENT

No writeup of any scrimmages in Northern Virginia yesterday? nm

Things must have been rough for Westfield, else we would have heard about their success. That's how I am about the Tigers.

I just hope they came away healthy. They were playing some beasts in St John's & DeMatha!

Word is that Westfield was beaten soundly by St. John's. No surprise, St. John's might be the most talented high school team on the east coast outside of IMG Academy.

They scrimmage DeMatha and Quince Orchard (MD) next week.

Last edited:
From another board:

St.John's cruised 38-0, and St. John's didn't have the young monster Antwain Littleton.

Even if true, I'd still bet Westfield is a top team in class 6.

I'd agree. Every year it seems that some one predicts their demise because of who has graduated. Expecting a big drop off from any of the Top Teams seems to be overstated though. The processes and program is bigger than any one player on the team. Unless and until the kids decided to play elsewhere or stop putting out the efforts, the Bulldogs will be challenging for District Championship and more each year.

Reactions: CavsGrad
The 38-0 score is correct. St John's played the first few series with their starters then went to a mix with the second stringers and eventually went to the younger kids late in the game. Westfield went with starters for almost three quarters, then started to mix in a few second stringers before having their JV play the SJC younger kids. SJC 1st vs WF 1st team was 24-0 (half time score), then the second string against mostly WF starters went 14-0. JVs were scoreless in a bit less than a quarter of play. SJC made a bunch of mental errors and, IMO, was a bit undisciplined and that resulted in a lot of penalties against them.

WF was able to make some plays but the difference in size, speed, and quickness was overwhelming. WF could not pass unless it was a quick hit type of play because SJC would be in the backfield. Asante got a few short yardage runs and a few mid range runs but all the yards were earned. On several of the plays where SJC scored they got to the second level quickly and then just ran away from the WF defense, including Morin, who is not slow.

WF faces this every pre-season and will face it again next week with DeMatha. Although I have not yet seen DeMatha, SJC is the real deal for a high school team and their schedule is brutal and full of nationally ranked teams. The real test for WF will be how they fare next week against Quince Orchard in their 3-way scrimmage with WF-QO-DeMatha.

Bottom line: as another poster said, WF will be fine and is certainly a top tier D6 team. Their offense is going to put up a lot of points. The defense may not be immediately hitting on all cylinders, but will be OK. The questions opponents will have to ask themselves this year is "Can we outscore Westfield"? I don't like shootouts because defense wins championships, but I expect we could see shootouts some this year.

Great! Thank you for your comments! Westfield always "loses" to DeMatha every year, and the good thing is that it is only a scrimmage and that Westfield is still 0-0. It's always better to find your weaknesses in a scrimmage than in a real game.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Would interested in hearing about any of the other Regional 6C/6D teams that were in the playoffs last year. Saw somewhere else that South County unwound themselves against South Lakes 56-14. What about C'ville, Madison, Battlefield, Freedom, Woodbridge, Patriot, Lake Braddock, Hayfield, etc.

On Westfield...will be really interested in how "good" their line(s) actually are/aren't...guess will see at the opening game against Lake Braddock...and whose hype is backed up.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
I went to the Patriot/Stafford scrimmage. Patriot held out their starting QB, and a couple of other kids. Too much mixing and matching of starters and backups. Hard to get a gauge on either squad.

This Friday against Madison should be more focused on starters and the kids held out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT