ADVERTISEMENT

Norcom 15 Lafayette 10

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Norcom came close on some long passes several times and with 0.32 left hit a 20 yard Td for the winner. As befits Lafayette's offense all night they even fumbled away the ensuing Ko. For the second week in a row a return Td is the difference for Norcom. Based on the Hoprwell game I thought we would squib it on both Ko's. Nope- one returned for a Td and the other returned to midfield. The defense played well but this year's offense with the backfield and receivers all new will struggle this year. No passing game and no real break away running threat.we did have one Td called back on a holding penalty but never really threatened the entire second half. The Qb returns but no real receivers and not a great runner. I don't see this Lafayette team as a contender in the playoffs.

Norcom has some really good talent this year.

Long season, Lafayette has time to get it right.
Norcom Qb can really pass well and his receivers are very good. The running game is good enough to complement their spread offense very nicely. On defense they are solid everywhere, the line and LB are quick and tough on the run. I don't know our stats but I think the Lafayette offense totaled under 200 yards.

Yep- I though this was a rebuilding year but kept my comments to myself.

Yeah, it is a rebuilding year at Woodgrove to the point that Head Coach Skinner basically said as much at one of the recent parent nights.

I still think our lads are capable of beating anybody on any given night if they play penalty and turnover free football.

Yeah, it is a rebuilding year at Woodgrove to the point that Head Coach Skinner basically said as much at one of the recent parent nights.

I still think our lads are capable of beating anybody on any given night if they play penalty and turnover free football.
That is the key. Tonite Lafayette/ fumble on punt return, fumble on Ko return and fumble by Qb on a keeper. Two face mask penalties and a holding call. Not a clean effort.

Yep- I though this was a rebuilding year but kept my comments to myself.
Keep your chin up Lafeyette. As previously said its still early. Your boys just need to keep grinding. Your coaching staff is very competent and they will tidy things up.

Better lace up the boots. Smithfield has some playmakers. Went toe to toe with the Generals tonight.

@Lafayette could you see it happening? Ahead of time during the game? That is the worst feeling. You'll be ok though. Hang in there it is still early my friend.

Norcom Qb can really pass well and his receivers are very good. The running game is good enough to complement their spread offense very nicely. On defense they are solid everywhere, the line and LB are quick and tough on the run. I don't know our stats but I think the Lafayette offense totaled under 200 yards.

There is certainly plenty of athletes in the school. They've won 4 straight basketball titles in 3A. Getting some of those athletes to get to the football field.

They have a big lineman, folks call him Big Jaun. He's gotten interest from some power 5 schools as a guard at the next level.

With all the turnover and penalties Lafayette still kept it really close. Get that cleaned up and y'all will be fine.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
@Lafayette could you see it happening? Ahead of time during the game? That is the worst feeling. You'll be ok though. Hang in there it is still early my friend.
Yeah, I kinda saw this coming. On offense the graduating seniors provided 95% of points and yards and the backups played little. Nothing I heard from the scrimmages was noteworthy of the offense. By halftime I knew Lafayette was in trouble. Some was also coaching- two regular KO s to a team the prior week that returned one for a Td. The rest was just an inexperienced offense without any semblance of a passing attack and a vanilla running game without any exceptional speed. The QB does not appear to be a playmaker but hands the ball off. On defense on Norcom's last drive- a big face mask penalty after a huge sack and then two 4th and 10 plays- one an 11 yard pass and the other a 20 yard TD. Played very well but faltered in crunch time. After seeing Smithfield put 38 on Dinwiddie and the current state of the offense time to light some Church candles!

There is certainly plenty of athletes in the school. They've won 4 straight basketball titles in 3A. Getting some of those athletes to get to the football field.

They have a big lineman, folks call him Big Jaun. He's gotten interest from some power 5 schools as a guard at the next level.

With all the turnover and penalties Lafayette still kept it really close. Get that cleaned up and y'all will be fine.
Yeah that lineman- 6 5" and 350 and really stuffs the run on defense and on offense was big on the line. He played well all game in very warm and humid conditions here.

Keep in mind too Lafayette.... a teams biggest improvement usually comes between games 1 and 2. Not taking anything away from Norcom's performance or their talent, but its a HUGE advantage to a team who has played their first game playing a team in their opener. The Rams have the coaching and the athletes to bounce back. They will gel and play better and schemes will get tweaked to best utilize the talent they have. Coach Linn will take the mistakes and polish them up and will be more crisp and clean next week.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

Does Woodgrove still have O-line beasts in the pipeline?

Reactions: Tom Potter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT