ADVERTISEMENT

Northumberland Vs.Rappahannock

nnkalumni2

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 18, 2017
Northumberland will see it’s first action today. Rappahannock 2nd game. Beat stonewall Jackson in 1st contest. Will this game be broadcast?

Yes, Northumberland plays varsity basketball tonight at Rappahannock Raiders. Girls at 5:30. Boys at 7pm.

I do not do Facebook or Twitter (and glad of it, lol).

However, I was told that someone from Rapp will livestream it on Facebook tonight if signal - (WiFi etc.) is good. Not sure if it is the official FB of RHS or a private individual - I was told maybe - Fans of Rapp BBall -

I was told Rapp home games will be available via the NFHS platform. I was told they purchased cameras just for that purpose.

I am not sure if Rapp is using the NFHS network.

However, it is streaming on the Facebook Live thing - Fans of Rapp BBall.

I was able to log in using another’s account. The Rapp girls won big at NHS like 53-25 or something I think.

The boys are at Rapp. 1st half just ended 20-20.

The video is pretty good considering it’s on FB. Great job! The Rapp roster was posted which is also nice.

Last edited:
Game now moved to Richmond County Public Schools Facebook it looks like. I will post final score when I know it. Again, I don’t do much FaceBooking so maybe, maybe not....

Northumberland won 38-35!

Rapp just missed the tying 3 at the buzzer.

Great start for the Indians.

The cameras are installed at Rapp but the NFHS has not yet calibrated them. Therefore it was on some form of social media. One parent held a phone for about two hours while there was a camera in the corner of the gym streaming on some form of Richmond County public schools.

Luckily we got to watch in person since it was also senior night for us (Rapp) and yep had I known cameras weren’t ready I’d have grabbed something told hold my phone for me lol. Not a bad showing for either team considering the amount of practice and kids not playing who normally would due to virtual school etc

Many schools permit their virtual students to play sports. Not these two schools?

Just one note on Rapp not allowing virtual kids to play - the rule was clear all the way back to the beginning of school and kids were allowed to make the switch to hybrid (RHS has a week on - week off A-B hybrid plan). VAST majority of Richmond County students chose hybrid as opposed to virtual. RHS wasn't going to allow their hybrid numbers to be affected by kids who chose 100% virtual classes but then wanted to come into the building for practices and games. If you have any experience at all with RCPS then you know that historically their Admin and School Board are very willing to make these type of stands and its simply why that school system is the Gold Standard in the Neck/MP area.

Can you explain the “affect the numbers” part? I’m genuinely wondering how virtual kids coming in to participate in sports affects the school operations. I know many school divisions are just being as permissive as VHSL allows with virtual kids and sports.

For clarity, I’m not questioning the logic of “If it’s unsafe to be here for you, it’s always unsafe even for sports”. I’m just asking for the reasoning that you seem to briefly allude to re: “numbers”.

I question the legality of not allowing bona fide student to participate. There could be a multiple of reasons why a student decided to be virtual when given the opportunity, child care for one or other numerous family circumstances.

Reactions: WP02alum
As I rack my brain (an easy task because of all the empty space) for reasons why, I’m only left to speculate that there may be some low-level local politics in play with such a decision. But really, I got no clue. Anxiously awaiting SJ’s reply.

WP-of course-and I did understand your question! In a school where you have about 400 students every single kid affects percentages when creating any type of data. There should be no doubt whatsoever that at least some kids made the decision to attend hybrid school based on the knowledge that there would otherwise be a "no play" consequence. Rappahannock has a greater % of kids attending face to face than any other HS in the NND (its not close). That sort of thing is important in Richmond County. As far as politics RC is extremely conservative (even compared to other counties in the Neck). One interesting note also is the RCPS school board is one of only a couple in the entire state that is not elected but appointed. That is the explanation why RCPS is often very decisive (they offered hybrid from day 1).
Festivus (love the screen name!) I don't know this for a fact but I'd be shocked if they didn't run this by the school division's lawyer first....that said again one of the things that sets RCPS apart from neighboring school divisions is leadership's willingness to do what they believe is in the best interest of the whole and not be held captive by threats or small factions.
Disclaimer-I realize it seems like I've drank RHS Koolaide but I've simply got two plus decades of working very closely with and in multiple NND school divisions. There is a reason why families drive across county lines to bring their kids to Warsaw.

WP-of course-and I did understand your question! In a school where you have about 400 students every single kid affects percentages when creating any type of data. There should be no doubt whatsoever that at least some kids made the decision to attend hybrid school based on the knowledge that there would otherwise be a "no play" consequence. Rappahannock has a greater % of kids attending face to face than any other HS in the NND (its not close). That sort of thing is important in Richmond County. As far as politics RC is extremely conservative (even compared to other counties in the Neck). One interesting note also is the RCPS school board is one of only a couple in the entire state that is not elected but appointed. That is the explanation why RCPS is often very decisive (they offered hybrid from day 1).
Festivus (love the screen name!) I don't know this for a fact but I'd be shocked if they didn't run this by the school division's lawyer first....that said again one of the things that sets RCPS apart from neighboring school divisions is leadership's willingness to do what they believe is in the best interest of the whole and not be held captive by threats or small factions.
Disclaimer-I realize it seems like I've drank RHS Koolaide but I've simply got two plus decades of working very closely with and in multiple NND school divisions. There is a reason why families drive across county lines to bring their kids to Warsaw.

I hear you & the politics thing makes sense as far as the board being appointed. Hanover County is the same way. That division has gone further than Richmond Co. with 5 day per week in-person classes. It lines up with its local political constituent desires.

What I’m wondering is what data is at risk? Am I right to guess you’re talking about virtual students being more likely to do poorly on standardized tests? I can understand that driving some decisions if those passing rates are paramount to the division leaders. Due to the nature of virtual class, those kids can easily fall behind if there are not strong supports at home or the students lack self-motivation to stay on top of their work.

Appreciate the replies!

West Point is similar in its academic rep. Something like 30% of WPHS students were from KQ/KW/Gloucester back when I attended. The division was very proud of its academic rep & the boost to the budget has to be significant with all those tuition-paying families.

I hear you & the politics thing makes sense as far as the board being appointed. Hanover County is the same way. That division has gone further than Richmond Co. with 5 day per week in-person classes. It lines up with its local political constituent desires.

What I’m wondering is what data is at risk? Am I right to guess you’re talking about virtual students being more likely to do poorly on standardized tests? I can understand that driving some decisions if those passing rates are paramount to the division leaders. Due to the nature of virtual class, those kids can easily fall behind if there are not strong supports at home or the students lack self-motivation to stay on top of their work.

Appreciate the replies!
The data would be related to the percentage of kids attending face to face as opposed to 100% virtual.

The data would be related to the percentage of kids attending face to face as opposed to 100% virtual.

Oh ok. I wasn’t understanding. The county wants all students in-person to the degree that they are willing to punish athletes who do not. I don’t agree with it, but I don’t live there, so my opinion is unimportant!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT