ADVERTISEMENT

Northumberland's Sophomore QB Lundy throws 6 TDs last week (near record) as the Indian Air Raid offense continues...

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Northumberland High School's sophomore QB Tyreek Lundy continues to put up insane numbers!

In the first 9 game this season, Lundy has passed for 27 TDs with only 3 interceptions.

Lundy has 98 completions out of 128 attempts (an astounding 76.6% completion rate) for 1735 yards!

Lundy also has run for several TDs.

The Top 3 receivers (and 4 of the top 6 WRs) out of all 6 NND schools are all from Northumberland.

Northumberland is 7-2 on the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: croakerfishin
I think that the NND/Class 1 record is 7 passing TDs in a single game.

Either set by D. Broaddus of Essex (around 2012) or M. Adams of Northumberland (around 2017 or 2018).

Correct me if I am forgetting someone.

Northumberland sophomore QB Tyreek Lundy finished the season with 30 passing TDs and only 3 interceptions.

Lundy completed 106 passes out of 138 attempts (76.8%) for nearly 2,000 yards (1968).

Stats credit to the Rappahannock Times newspaper.

Those are some outstanding numbers (back in my day, I don't think that we had one passing TD the entire season lol).

Northumberland completes the season with an 8-2 record. NHS was easily the 2nd rated team in Region A.

Northumberland's only 1A loss was to probably the #1 team in the state, Essex at Essex during their packed homecoming event.

As I mentioned before, the Indians scored 35 points against powerhouse Essex who maybe has the best defense (certainly one of them) in Class One. NHS only trailed by a field goal at one point during the 2nd half.

NHS has unreal skill and speed everywhere. If the defense can continue to improve and everyone stays focused on what Coach Lewis and his staff teach them, it could get a bit more interesting than usual in Region A.

As for no one putting Northumberland in the Top Ten of Class 1, that is also somewhat interesting.

Northumberland is easily in the top 5 if not higher....

What rank order would you have these 5 teams?

Altavista
Essex
Honaker
Northumberland
Sussex Central

Reactions: uvacavs1
I’m not saying those are the top 5 teams in C1. I’m just curious about how he would stack those teams up.

I'm the one who normally does the top 10 in here, although Virginia Preps does have Northumberland in their top 10. Northumberland has athletes, I'm not denying that. But their best win is over a much improved, but still slightly above average Lancaster team. A game that they came from behind to win. The combined record of the teams they've beaten is 22-59. I've seen every single team that is considered amongst the top teams in Class 1, and while Northumberland is good, their record is inflated by their weak schedule. It's the same thing with them every year and I'm not meaning to be rude, but they have not won a big game in years. Heck, they just had one of the best athletes I've ever seen in this area in years in Cam Seldon, who is now at Tennessee, and they still never even got to a regional championship with him. Part of their issue historically and it seems to be the case this year too, is they can't stop a good team defensively. They even gave up 46 to a 3 win Prince Edward team. In closing, much love to uvacavs, the Northumberland faithful and anyone else who is a fan of them. I do expect them to make it to the Region A championship this year, and if they can win the Region, then I'll be the first one to come on here and congratulate them

I'm the one who normally does the top 10 in here, although Virginia Preps does have Northumberland in their top 10. Northumberland has athletes, I'm not denying that. But their best win is over a much improved, but still slightly above average Lancaster team. A game that they came from behind to win. The combined record of the teams they've beaten is 22-59. I've seen every single team that is considered amongst the top teams in Class 1, and while Northumberland is good, their record is inflated by their weak schedule. It's the same thing with them every year and I'm not meaning to be rude, but they have not won a big game in years. Heck, they just had one of the best athletes I've ever seen in this area in years in Cam Seldon, who is now at Tennessee, and they still never even got to a regional championship with him. Part of their issue historically and it seems to be the case this year too, is they can't stop a good team defensively. They even gave up 46 to a 3 win Prince Edward team. In closing, much love to uvacavs, the Northumberland faithful and anyone else who is a fan of them. I do expect them to make it to the Region A championship this year, and if they can win the Region, then I'll be the first one to come on here and congratulate them

Reminds me of Eastern View in C4, same M.O.

Gotta start winning in November to change opinions, simple as.

This year is the best chance Northumberland has in my opinion to beat Essex, other than the Qb for the Indians they lose a lot of talent.
Agreed RappriverEHS.

If Northumberland is going to finally take down Essex, this is the year to get it done.

Of course, first NHS must remained focused on each upcoming opponent so that they don't get knocked off looking ahead.

The defense must continue to improve, disciplined play and practice and playing smartly (few penalties, great line play, etc.) are the only ways to have a shot at Essex, especially at Essex again.

Hey, last year Essex just destroyed the Indians 61-6. However, I feel that there is at least a decent chance of the possible upset this playoff season.

All good points.

NHS Coach Lewis and his boys have a lot to prove and fight for indeed. This year could be their chance...

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Lastly, NHS has played who was on the schedule.

Region A may be down this year overall.

However, in my opinion, so is Region B and C.

Region D may be the same or even better than usual but I can't remember the last time a Region D team (no disrespect at all intended) could defeat an Essex team in the last 25 years. (Except for Gate City but they are a fairly big school.)

I did love and respect seeing Haysi but that was still like a 35-13 Essex state win played at King William High School. I could be forgetting someone but most of the big state teams that I remember were from B or C.

This could be the year for a Region D team to win it all.

Without Riverheads around anymore, who knows how it will play out...

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Okay, my State Top 10

#1 Essex
#2 Sussex
#3 Honaker (however, they allow a lot of points to many of their opponents, major concern v a top Eastern team)
#4 Brunswick
#5 Altavista
#6 Northumberland
#7 Grayson
#8 Rye Cove
#9 Narrows
# 10t George Wythe
#10t Galax

Okay, my State Top 10

#1 Essex
#2 Sussex
#3 Honaker (however, they allow a lot of points to many of their opponents, major concern v a top Eastern team)
#4 Brunswick
#5 Altavista
#6 Northumberland
#7 Grayson
#8 Rye Cove
#9 Narrows
# 10t George Wythe
#10t Galax
The top 6 looks to be on point (which is what WP had asked for or top 5).

However, as I already commented, Honaker looks a bit shaky to me. I'd drop them out of the Top 5 which I almost did before anyway, but wanted to show respect since they are undefeated and everyone was so high on them. Also, I love the mountains and the people there are awesome! Plus, the great Pittsburgh Steeler Heath Miller is from Honaker.

Also, I was afraid that Region D would struggle a bit in the playoffs and against the other regions. That was expressed by some on here as well. Narrows is out. The others are shaky. GW and Galax should probably be in the top 8.

Whoever that dude was from Radford who really loves the computer projections, should maybe rethink his thought process and analysis.

Oh that's right, he said that he did not use his own thoughts, only that of AI. Well, good luck with that, my man.

Okay, my State Top 10

#1 Essex
#2 Sussex
#4 Brunswick
#5 Altavista
#6 Northumberland
#7 Grayson
#8 Rye Cove
#9 Narrows
# 10t George Wythe
#10t Galax
Yeh im from the area and i believe honaker is too high for their defense alone. Theyve given up a lot of points to teams that I wouldn't even consider high powered offenses. Essex would probably put 70 on them. Not sure wat the deal with Grayson is, but I think they have an early exit. Maybe next week.
Also not sold on Rye Cove. Very weak schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT