ADVERTISEMENT

Not football related, but....

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
This just demonstrates the good that is the heart of most people.

A young man that grew up near me chose to become a firefighter/EMT. His young career had led him to the Spotsylvania County Fire Department. About five months ago he was headed to Richmond on his motorcycle to meet his parents.

An elderly lady did not see him and pulled out in front of him. After hitting her car, he flew approximately 60 feet before hitting the guardrail. He impacted the guardrail in his abdominal/pelvic area. The extent of injuries were beyond belief. By any account, he should have died on the scene. He was flown to MCV in very critical condition.

For the next three months he struggled to stay alive. Every time he showed some improvement, another crisis occurred. After an unbelievable number of surgeries, and somewhere around 70 units of blood, he finally turned the corner. This young man was so gravely injured that we rejoiced when the doctors would raise his chances of survival to 50/50.

I'm glad to report that he is out of MCV. His parents made the necessary modifications at their home to provide him the environment he will require for some unknown time period.

He has improved to the point to that he can be taken places in the converted van his parents purchased for him. Before I continue with the most inspirational part of this story, allow me to add this account.

As you can imagine, the expense of his needs and care are enormous. Knowing this, the community lead by a core of the finest people that I have ever known, put together a fund raiser. At the same time this firefighter was going through his trauma, another neighborhood family was facing their own serious challenge. Their 18 month old son was diagnosed with a rare cancer in his eyes.

The fund raiser raised in excess of $50,000, which was split between the two families.

Additionally, one of the principle men that organized the fund raiser, organized a blood drive. It grew so big, so quickly, that it was split into two days. They maxed out on donors that could be handled long before the actual days of the drive.

Now that the firefighter can be taken places, he asked to be taken to Richmond to an annual climb of a high rise to commemorate 9-11. He had climbed the stairs himself ever year since 9-11. He just wanted to be there in support of his fellow firefighters. After arrival, his fellow firefighters said "hell no". "This will not be the year your record is broken". His brethren of area firefighters carried him and his chair, floor by floor, team by team, to the top floor, and down again to the cheers, tears, and applause of everyone there.

When you see horrible, disgusting news that shakes your faith in mankind, remember this story. For in spite of all the bad we witness, your fellow man, your friends, your community is exactly like the people described above. Thank you for allowing me to share something that may not deserve to be on our football forum.

DP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT